News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

NTSB Safer Seas Digest

Started by w00dy, July 28, 2017, 11:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

Came across this today and thought I would share with everyone here. This is a publication put out by the NTSB in conjunction with the Coast Guard, summarizing various reports from accidents they have responded to.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/SPC1701.pdf

Although only one of these accident reports involves a recreational sailboat, I feel that everyone here can still benefit from this information. Those of us here who are or are looking to be professional mariners should pay extra attention. Regardless of whether you're on a 100 meter tanker, a trailer sailer, or a dinghy, the mindset of preparedness and safety is important to maintain. Many of the situations in these reports were brought on by causes that can and do affect us all, no matter the vessel size.

For example, in the second incident listed in the digest, a fishing vessel maneuvering in a harbor suddenly loses control when the captain finds he can't shift out of forward gear. The investigators found that the failure of a cable in his integrated shift/throttle control was the cause of the accident. How many of you have an integrated shift/throttle control lever on your boat? We do.

I know that personally, I have a long way to go to becoming more safe, competent, and proficient on the water. I think that reading about these kinds of incidents and just thinking about them can help cement important ideas as well as alleviate the perpetually tempting thought, "It won't happen to me."

Hopefully we can all gain something from what has been lost.

Norman

Although I am still an FAA licensed pilot, I no longer read the accident reports because I do not fly as pilot any more.

Twice, in my flying, an undesirable event occurred that had happened to other pilots in the same model plane that I was flying.  Having already "survived" that event in print, and knew exactly what would work, from the accident analysis, I had no accident.

I may have reacted and analyzed correctly if the events had not been pre planned, and dealt with by my best logic, but how much better to be ready!

The same is true in the aquatic environment.  There are few really new accidents, just many new variations of old ones.  Learning from someone else's event is much cheaper than insisting on learning from your own accidents.

In the last few years I have had a throttle cable failure, and have been present at a shifter failure.  Regular inspection of key equipment is essential for safety.

Good source of information.  I did not click the link, but have been there before.

Godot

Interestingly...I just, this year, had my shifter fail. I replaced it and the cables because, well, shifter cable failures are a growing complaint. Which makes sense as boats get older and older, and people don't think about the things that have been working flawlessly for decades.

I'm getting concerned about the age of my standing rigging. It looks good; but it is most likely 37 years old. I'm also getting concerned about the age of the gooseneck and other boom fittings. Sooner or later, everything breaks.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Frank

Thanks wOOdy
Great read and yes...'sooner or later'.... 

Grog to ya
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Quote from: w00dy on July 28, 2017, 11:49:49 AM

I know that personally, I have a long way to go to becoming more safe, competent, and proficient on the water. I think that reading about these kinds of incidents and just thinking about them can help cement important ideas as well as alleviate the perpetually tempting thought, "It won't happen to me."

Don't sell yourself short brother. You guys are doing it! 
You have more experience than you're giving yourself credit for.....
And that's what I personally love about sailing, no two days are alike.
Providing the winds are blowing :)
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!