3 weeks, 3 states, 3 sails

Started by CharlieJ, August 18, 2017, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

On July 27th I flew to Wisc to visit Timm Rivette and his lovely fiance Bobbie, sailing friends from the Trailer Sailor board. I was shown around the area, and when the weekend arrived and Bobbie was off work, I got to sail in Lake Michigan aboard Timm's 25 footer. Was a great sailing day off of Milwaukee

And as you can see, Bobbie was SOO stressed out

A few days later, since I was so close I flew to Maine to meet and visit a sailing friend from here on  SailFar-- Jim_Me.
Jim had arranged for us to camp in Bradbiury Mtn State Park, which was near Portland

Here's our accommodations for five nights only saw one mosquito

and here's Jim and I

as it happened, two other friends from port Lavaca (and Sailfar) were cruising the area aboard their Westsail 32- Raylay and W00dy  :) Pictured here while we were touring the LL Bean complex in Portland Me

and since Mona was moored SO close, we HAD to go for a sail.. sailing on the Harraseeket River off Freeport. Sorry, no pics of that sail.

After I flew back home, my good buddy Robin sort of INSISTED we take Tehani out for a sail, since she had been slip bound since last year, which was very sad,

Again, no pics. I didn't have a chance to take any and Robin's are lost

But it was a great trip, and how ,many times do I get this kind of opportunity??

Oh and the flight home sucked due to weather- storms in DC and in Houston caused all sorts of delays, missed connections, bumped flights etc. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Norman

Now that is definitely sailing FAR! ;). You are now officially a member of the jet set, flying from one port to another for a sail in widely separated waters.

I have met Ralay and wOOdy, but not Jim_Me, so the pictures with him on Mona were an introduction to a new to me face.  Hi Jim!  Those pictures are great!

Weather delays, canceled flights and bumps are a bummer, but flying is still the easiest way to make long trips.  Voluntary bumps are a different thing, and if I do not have rigid schedule to meet, I volunteer to be bumped even before the gate crew know if they have a problem.  One trip I had a double bump, and was compensated enough to fly round trip from Washington DC to Portland Oregan.  I took a bump on one leg of that trip, just a two hour delay to the next flight, and arrived home with enough money to fly to St Louis.

None of those bumps made me late for anything important.

We have had some violent storms around here lately, but this is the season for such, sorry you met some.

Norman

Jim_ME

It seems a good example of Fly Far, sail there [another variant of what has been written by others previously]...

It was nice to meet Rachel and Woody not so far from my home area while they were docked at a boatyard on the Saco River...soon to be moved onto a mooring, before their trip back to Texas.

It was also great that Rachel and Woody sailed Mona to South Freeport and found a mooring there, where they would be a few miles from the town of Freeport, where LL Bean's home store complex is, and only a few miles farther from Bradbury Mountain State Park. I had hoped to get them over to the park and campsite, but time was short and an opportunity to join them for a daysail on Mona and dinner had to come first...

Thank you, Norman. I would be glad to meet you, too. I have been thinking about making a trip to your area with my Dad. I have recently bought an ODay 23 which I plan to setup on a trailer to be a modest trailer-cruiser. It has a fairly roomy cabin for a boat of its displacement and a stub keel/centerboard that make it trailerable. Had a setback with my tow vehicle, a 1995 Chevy pickup, so will have to repair or sell/replace that... Am still working on getting the boat down here...hopefully will this week.

I am very glad that upon returning home you and friends got out for a long-overdue sail on Tehani !

I hope that you will do it again, Charlie.   

Jim_ME

Here's a view of the campsite with lean-to, Charlie, and the tent of our Canadian "other squatters" friends that we enjoyed sharing the site with for a couple of nights, before they headed off to tour Boston. There is a long "hike in" path into the site making it more secluded than the usual campsites.

(I've run a photo through a paint effect, and like others recently, if seems to me to capture my feel for the subject better than the photo, so I'll post it here...)