News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Hurricane Harvey

Started by w00dy, August 24, 2017, 07:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of y'all down there. "There but for the Grace..."

Crazy video from Rockport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_k8K7A0yHI
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

That's House of Boats yard. that's where I do bottom work on Tehani
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cyric30

well heres video from the marina folks, its pretty bad, but it could be worse. you folks whos been there longer than i can analyze it better than me.

https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaAdvocate/videos/10159194771410134/

ralay

I don't have wifi so I just watched the first little bit.  That looks pretty good to me, considering!  It looks like the docks are there and most boats are in their slips.  That's a lot more than can be said for a lot of other marinas after hurricanes. 

Looking at the high res photo, Woody and I were wrong about the grounded boat being our friend's Westsail 28.  I could see Rosie in its slip in that video.  I don't recognize any of the grounded boats. 

Cyric30

Cyric30

Just found another video of them walking the docks
my boat is sunk on the bottom of its slip. Sooooo im at the sick in my guts period, wondering what to do now....
my slips at the 1:18 time stamp
couldn't see charlies boat sorry CJ..

https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaAdvocate/videos/10159194817015134/

CharlieJ

I can see her  At least the bow with anchor on it-= floating as normal.

Terribly sorry Joe. Also, just found out Robin's boat is gone. Don't know if sunk or blown  away.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cyric30

I simply do not know what to do.

Lars

Sorry to see it. Back when huricane opal came through a lot of the guys here in panama city lost boats. Fema came through for most of the liveaboards with pretty big lump sum payments. I don't know if that is still the case but it would be worth to file a claim with them. good luck.

ralay

Jeez.  I'm impressed the docks held up as well as they did. The old docks certainly wouldn't have made it.  Still, it looks like a lot of the boats really took a beating in their slips.  A lot of the boats that are afloat still had some pretty monstrous holes above the waterline.  (Is that Lanny's boat with the stem smashed in?)

Sorry about your boat, Joe.  It's a crappy roulette we all have to play from June to November.  Are you going to start fresh?

We watched the video with Keith, thanks for posting.  Somehow it doesn't surprise me he'd have stayed and then acted like it was no big deal.  What a guy.  I guess you don't get to live on a boat for 27 years without being vigilant.

Glad to hear Tehani is still floating.  We'll await your update on her condition.

I'm curious to see what will become of the marina.  They never required anyone to have liability insurance (at least not when we were there).  The marina obviously suffered a lot of damage directly caused by boats and there's a lot of boats on the bottom.  I wonder if any of the uninsured folks will take responsibility for disposing of their wrecks or or if they're just going to abandon them.  Who foots the bill for that kind of thing? 

Cyric30

Ralay.
im not sure what to do at this point, right now im just trying to figure out what to do about this. im really at a loss right now.

CharlieJ

They asked me for liabity insurance proof. i carry 300,000 on Tehani. Have been asked in a good many other marinas too
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Made it home. No electric of course. Lots if shingles torn away. Shop doors broken open. One tree down. Otherwise very litle damage. Will go to Marina tomorow.

Raylay. I think that is Lannys boat. Will know more tomorrow. Right now. Color me pooped!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Maybe they changed the insurance policy since we were there.  We certainly never had any and didn't know many people who did.  (We do keep liability insurance now.)

Glad to hear you had limited damage to your house and shop.  Here's to hoping Tehani is relatively unscathed.

Norman

That is small stuff at home, Charlie, considering what happened nearby. I also hope Tehani did as well.  The videos certainly showed some serious damage in many different places.

I guess you will assess the options for Cyric's boat while you are there.  If it did sink, that is a big setback for him.  I am surprised he had a problem if Tehani did not, but in that kind of weather, small things can make large differences.

I guess that you will have a lot of friends at the marina who will be needing assistance on a variety of issues to get their boats useable.

Norman

Jim_ME

Charlie, Good to hear that your house damage was not too bad. The triangular form of an A-frame is an inherently strong one, with the structure bracing itself well. No doubt your construction and tie-downs to concrete piers also made a big difference. That is encouraging that you saw Tehani's bow floating normally in the video. I hope that visit tomorrow will bring more good news.

Joe, let me join Charlie, Rachel and others in expressing how sad it is to learn that your boat has sunk. It must be a shock that this has happened, and it will naturally take some time to process it all and, as Norman wrote, find out what your options are.

Bubba the Pirate

My Sailor's Heart goes out to you Joe; such sad news. 
Hope everything's all right with Tehani, Charlie.

I hope everybody down there can get on their feet and start the recovery.

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jotruk

Joe I really hate to hear that your boat sank, I know how I feel about having problems with my boat I can imagine how it would feel like if it sank.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Sorry to hear about your boat. Boats & houses can be replaced, people can't. Seen some pictures from down there. Boats are stacked up the way we stack cordwood up here. Pretty bad to say the least.

I've had a couple of fragmented messages from my Dad yesterday. Says their all right, no power, cooking on the grille, that kind of stuff.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Cyric30

Guys thanks for the support, im coming to grips with the fact, and also realize ppl have lost alot more than me. it will be years befor some of this mess is repaired im sure.