PNW cruising (as Capt K says, pics are a thousand words)

Started by Frank, August 30, 2017, 08:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Beautiful shots Frank, thank you so much for sharing them with us!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

I anchored at Shoal Bay for a couple of days.
The anchorage looks right up "Phillips Arm" which is ever changing and to me, beautiful and more mystical overcast than sunny....

BTW..... I nearly fell out of the boat rounding the bend to Shoal Bay. I've never seen more than one other cruising boat there this late in the season. Thought maybe there was an Elvis sighting? Turns out the "cruising club of America" was on a tour and this was their stop for one night. Great folks and a mix of both power and sail.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bob J (ex-misfits)

As always nice pictures Frank!
Not to hijack the thread but whats going on with Allure? Is she safe & undamaged from Irma?
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Frank

Dodged the bullet....This time....
She is blocked, cradled and strapped "on the hard" on Green Turtle Cay
They barely had any wind or rain...
Thanks for asking..

Frank

Frank

This benign looking Narrows is Beazley Pass.
Right now a canoe could go through...
It will start running very shortly and build into a 9.5knot Narrows of twirls and whirlpools.
I tried going against it once with about a 3knot flow. Threw the boat around like it weighed 100lbs. The eddies are crazy! I couldn't imagine over 9...

Frank

Can't remember seeing as many humpbacks in as many different places as this year. Saw 2 Orcas early on and that Minke whale too. These two were so close today I sped up as I was getting nervous..

ralay

Frank

Not hoggin....
Come on out..
Lots to go around!! 😄😄

Frank

Company landed in Cambell River and after brief provisioning...off again to the Broughtons. Saw humpbacks nearing VonDonop on Cortes Isl. full breach splashs!! Dolphins in the morning, then a sea lion colony going through Gillard Pass, porpoises near Shoal Bay....just crazy wildlife!
Today we left the channels to do Johnstone Strait for the last 12 or so miles up to the Broughtons...
Another breaching Humpback, then a huge pod of Orcas that were so close and numerous that I actually altered speed and course as I was getting nervous. Just an amazing few days!! Crazy actually...
Fun stuff!

Last pic shows the male-female difference as the make fin is close to 5ft tall

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

More Orcas on Johnstone Strait

(Sorry Woody....they just keep showing up!)

Frank

Tucked in anchored at VonDonop Inlet on Cortes Isl and a Cape Cod Cat motors by. Too cool to see a NE boat in the NW

Frank

I'm still out putting around...
Only difference is:
Colder
No one else cruising....feels like your personal nature paradise
With snow now capping most mountains it's even more beautiful!,

PS......CONGRATS to Bubba, Woody and Relay

WESTSAILS RULE!!!

Frank

Last week was busy cleaning, oil change etc in prep for storage. Hauled out the 4th, flew home late Monday.
A tad overwhelming.....
Life sure is simpler afloat!
Pics are from my last run through Desolation Sound. Late is prettier to me as you get snow on the peaks. Empty anchorages are the bonus!

CapnK

Amazing vistas,,, How many days are like those, where it isn't low overcast or foggy? I know that it is seasonal to a degree.

Also - is it easy to find shellfish there, like oysters, clams, mussels? How about crabs? Fishing? I guess: is it easy to supplement the galley with the fruits of land and sea? :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Honestly Kurt....last season was simply amazing!
Sun almost everyday, then about 1-1/2 weeks crappy mid October, then sun the week befor I left. Not normal.... but sure enjoyed it.
Saw more whales than the 9 times out there before combined!
The fall rains have since set in pretty good. I actually enjoy the misty days as everything seems "mystical"...
First time I saw Princess Louisa Inlet was light fog and haze.... utterly breathtaking....a spiritual experience!
Second tome was bright sun....beautiful but no where near the same...
In the end it's like anywhere with weather....ya pays ur money....ya takes ur chances...
Fishing..YES.easy and plentiful. Rock Cod, Greenlings, Red Snapper, Ling Cod
Crabs...YES....too easy with a small folding trap
Prawns...Yep...deep=work hauling up the pots. (130-170 ft) I don't bother... have done it on friends boat lots...
Clams.....Yep.....dig them at low tide
Oysters...Yep...if ya look.
In the end, fishing is too easy. Simple jigs are used..
Crabs are too easy as well...
Talk to Tim.....or...Tim...chime in !!
It is so special up north... so remote, so beautiful.
Dramatic scenery and unreal wildlife.
Whales, seals, porpoises, sea lions, bald eagles, dolphins, otters, even crazy amounts of jellyfish at certain times.....all with snow capped mountains as a back drop.