Posting pictures and using the SailFar gallery.

Started by CapnK, December 19, 2005, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

This is a Living Document, and as such, it changes from time to time. If you would like to post images to the Gallery, please read through this thread - there is some great and pertinent info here. Have fun! (Last update - Dec 2011, CapnK)

------------Gallery------------
Members in good standing who want to start a new Album in the Gallery should send me a PM through the forum, and I will set it up for you... :)
---------------------------------

IMPORTANT: About Image sizes and the Gallery:

Picture sizes for the Gallery are limited in 2 ways - by "File Size", and by "Dimension".

In the Gallery, the biggest File Size for a picture is 8 Megabytes (8024 kB) (upgraded 5/17, for FORUM Attachments, they can be 4MB size(4096kb) ), and the Dimensions of the picture in the Gallery cannot be larger than 5600 Pixels in either height or width.

That said, it is usually better for everyone *especially those on mobile or satellite connection with possible data limits* if your pictures have a file size of under 250kB, and that the dimensions of the picture don't exceed 800 pixels in height or width. This makes it nice for people who are not on broadband connections, they won't have to wait forever to see your pictures download, and they won't hit data caps while admiring your bottom paint or brightwork. ;) It also makes the pictures load faster for everyone, regardless of their connection.

There is a free, simple picture editor that you can use to resize your pictures, it is called "Irfanview", and you can download it from the 'net. The program is less than 2M in size. The website is here.

There are also apps for phones/tablets which are VERY simple and easy to use.

---
A note about resizing your pictures, from someone who does a lot of it: :)

Before you do, make a New Folder (maybe named "Resized Images") on your computer, and make/put a *Copy* of the image(s) you want to resize into that folder. Do your resizing work on the Copy *only*.This way your Original image will remain untouched and in it's original size, and only the Copy will be altered.

Also, I like to add something to the resized image name to let me know that it has been resized - usually, I'll just append "web" to the name. (Example: "IMG_12.JPG" would be saved in its resized form as "IMG_12_WEB.JPG"). By just adding "web", I can easily know which Original, large picture the smaller resized copy came from.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to post photos in the Gallery

1. First, be logged in at the Gallery. :)

2. To do that, right-click the link at the end of this sentence, and select "Open in New Window" (or "New Tab"): Gallery Link

3. The Gallery page will open in a new window, and will have a Login link up top, towards the left side of the screen. If you have pop-up stopper software installed, it may try to keep the window from opening. If so, you will need to disable the pop-up stopper temporarily, or figure out how to let the window come up in some other manner (there are too many different programs out there for me to describe how you can do this, sorry).

4. In the new window you will see the Gallery page. On the top right side of that page, there is a menu. In this menu, click on "Home".

5. The page will give you a brief message about going into Admin mode. Wait a few seconds, and a row of grey-colored buttons will appear on the page, in the upper middle. These buttons are labeled "Create/order my albums", "Modify my albums", "My profile", and "Sort my pictures".

6. Click on "Create/order my albums".

7. The window will change, you will see a blue-bordered box titled "Album Manager". At the bottom of that box, click on "New". A "New Album" will appear in the box, and below that at the bottom you will see another area that says "New Album" in it. Type in the name you want to have for your Album in the lower area, and the upper area will automatically change to be the same as what you type.

8. After you have typed in your Album name, click on the "Apply Modifications" button at the very bottom of the page. A small box will pop up to confirm that you want to make the modifications, click "OK".

9. The window will change, you will see a message saying "Creating album 'Your_Albums_Name'". Click on the "Continue" button.

10. You will be returned to the Gallery home page automatically, and there is now an Album created just for you. Yee-ha! :)

Now, to put photos in your album...

Note: There is a size limit on pictures you can put into the Gallery. The pictures will need to be no larger than 1600 pixels (in height or width), and the File Size of the picture cannot be over 2M (megabytes). If your pictures are larger than this, you will need to resize them *prior* to Uploading. You can do that with a free program off of the internet called "Irfanview" ( see this post for more info on that topic). Recommended sizes for pictures are 600-800 pixels wide (or tall), and a File Size of 100K (kilobytes) or less.[/b]

1. In the menu at the upper right side of the Gallery page, click on "Upload file". The window will change, the blue box will have the label "Upload File", and there will be spaces for you to put in picture file names.

2. Click on the first "Browse" button. This will open a small box showing the files on your computer. Navigate to the photo you want to Upload, select it, and click the "Open" button. The small box will go away, and you will see the name of the file you chose in the area next to the Browse button which you clicked.

3. Repeat the above step for multiple photo uploads, you can put up to 5 photos.

4. When finished selecting photos, click "Continue" at the bottom of the page.

5. You should get a message telling you that your Uploads were successful, click "Continue".

6. You will see a small version of your picture in the upper left corner of the Upload file box, with the relevant file information to the right of that. Below this file information is a small area that says "Select Album". Click the black arrow on the right side, and select the Album which you created (note: you can only post pictures into *your* album, however you can have more than one album).

7. You can also enter a File name and a File description on this page. That is a good thing to do, since people like to know what it is they are seeing in your pictures. You do not *have* to name it or describe it, but what the heck, why not? :)

8. After completing the above, click "Continue".

9. If you uploaded more than one file, repeat the above steps for each file. When you have completed the last file, you will get a page with a message that says "You have successfully placed all files". Click "Continue", and you will go back to the Gallery home page.

Congratulations, you are done!!! :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Iceman

Being a newbie
How do I create my album
Iceman

CapnK

(Edited December 2011 by CapnK, as the content of this post is not applicable any more with the current setup. See first post in thread re: Gallery account setup. Thanks! :) )

Ice -

When you go to the Gallery at http://sailfar.net, if you are logged in here you should be automagically be logged in there already.

At any rate, after you are logged in there (user name and password are the same as what you use here), you'll see some buttons in the middle of the screen, grey colored ones is what I see, one of them is for creating your own album. Name it whatever you'd like, and click whatever buttons you need to. (Sorry if I am being too techinical.... ;) )

If you have any problem, I can create the album for you - just let me know. If too many folks have trouble figuring it out, I'll make up a tutorial with pictures to show the steps.

I'm still getting used to this software myself, I haven't used it before on the other sites I've run. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Iceman

Help
CapnK

I have created a monster..I thought I uploaded all my images successfully but as you can see on gallery page Ive made a mess of things
Maybe Ill just jpegs to you
Its a bunch of them

Ice

Iceman

CapnK!
I think I got it sorted out

I have had easier spinnaker sets and takedowns

Ice

Skipper Dave

Hey could someone tell me how to post some boat pictures I have saved in My Documents.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Captain Smollett

Do you want to post them in your gallery?

Click Here

Then click User Galleries.  You will need to create at least one album (you can put all your pics in one album, or have multiple ones).  Then, when you click "Upload File" in the top nav bar, you can upload the image file from your computer.  After the upload, you will be asked what album to put the file into.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

You can embed pictures into your messages by using the "BBC Tag" button above (the one under the I for italics) to simply type the url between the img tags like this (remove the spaces I had to add to get it to post plain text):

[ i m g ] {url goes here} [ / i  m g ]
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Iceman

I tried to create a NEW album of pics, put a get a message I have exceeded my quota

Are multiple albums possible??

Ice

CapnK

Hmm, dunno Ice - I'll check that and get back as soon as I know, prolly in a few minutes...

Edit: OK, should be fixed now. The per-user disk quota was only 1 megabyte. I have change that to 10 MB. If someone needs more than that, we'll see what we can do. :)

I would *assume* that multiple albums are possible, since it let you create another. Try it now and see what happens.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Iceman

I don"t understand the embedding principle
I would like to include a jpeg in my Voyager 26 post in the boat discussion page

Check out my ne albums

Ice

Skipper Dave

Capt'n,
When I click on the gallery it blinks and nothing happens.

Skipper Dave

CapnK

Hi Dave -

What exactly are you clicking on? The link above in this thread, or something on the Gallery page?
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

Lotta neat pics in those albums, Ice - Thanks!

To put a pic in a post, the post must have this code in it:

[img]pictures-URL-location[/img]

The pictures URL location is its "address" on the web.

Example:

This picture -

is at this address:

http://sailfar.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10012/normal_LMG.jpg

which I got by Right Clicking on the picture, and selecting "Copy Image Location", and then pasting that between those [img] and [/img] tags.

If you click on the little picture icon in the "Add BBC Tags" area when you are writing a post, it will put in the "img" tags, and you just paste the picture URL in between them.

Note: I use the Firefox web browser - if you are using the Internet Exploder browser, it may say something slightly different than that, but what you want is the pictures location.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Iceman

Check out the boat pic on boat discussion thread
I think I succeeded

Ice

CapnK

Looks like you have it dialed in there, Ice. :) Congrats! ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Skipper Dave

I am clicking on the link above.  Could it be that it is blocked from my computer here at work?

Skipper Dave

CapnK

Hmm, Dave...

What about if you click on the link on the homepage -> sailFar Can you get there that way?
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Skipper Dave

I just noticed it says...a pop-up was just blocked.

Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Rather a Pop-up window was just blocked