Posting pictures and using the SailFar gallery.

Started by CapnK, December 19, 2005, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

OK then the problem is on your end, because it isn't a pop-up... hmmm... The Gallery software is integrated with this Forum software, so that users can have the same name and password. That would be the only reason that I can guess that it thinks there is a pop-up - this Forum controls the Login for both Forum and Gallery...

What about if you Right Click on the link, and then select Open in New Window or New Tab? Does that work?

Out of curiosity, what browser are you using, and are you using some type of pop-up blocker or other software designed to do that? Is there a way, inside of that softwares settings, for you to tell it that a particular site is OK? That's about all I can think of, except you may be ableto type in the address manually...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

How to post photos in the Gallery

1. First, be logged in here at the Forum. This will also have you logged in at the Gallery.

2. Right-click the link at the end of this sentence, and select "Open in New Window" (or "New Tab"): Gallery Link

3. The Gallery page will open in a new window. If you have pop-up stopper software installed, it may try to keep the window from opening. If so, you will need to disable the pop-up stopper temporarily, or figure out how to let the window come up in some other manner (there are too many different programs out there for me to describe how you can do this, sorry).

4. In the new window you will see the Gallery page. On the top right side of that page, there is a menu. (Don't worry about the Login, you already are, if you are logged in at the Forums.) In this menu, click on "Home".

5. The page will give you a brief message about going into Admin mode. Wait a few seconds, and a row of grey-colored buttons will appear on the page, in the upper middle. These buttons are labeled "Create/order my albums", "Modify my albums", "My profile", and "Sort my pictures".

6. Click on "Create/order my albums".

7. The window will change, you will see a blue-bordered box titled "Album Manager". At the bottom of that box, click on "New". A "New Album" will appear in the box, and below that at the bottom you will see another area that says "New Album" in it. Type in the name you want to have for your Album in the lower area, and the upper area will automatically change to be the same as what you type.

8. After you have typed in your Album name, click on the "Apply Modifications" button at the very bottom of the page. A small box will pop up to confirm that you want to make the modifications, click "OK".

9. The window will change, you will see a message saying "Creating album 'Your_Albums_Name'". Click on the "Continue" button.

10. You will be returned to the Gallery home page automatically, and there is now an Album created just for you. Yee-ha! :)

Now, to put photos in your album...

Note: There is a size limit on pictures you can put into the Gallery. The pictures will need to be no larger than 1600 pixels (in height or width), and the File Size of the picture cannot be over 2M (megabytes). If your pictures are larger than this, you will need to resize them *prior* to Uploading. You can do that with a free program off of the internet called "Irfanview" ( see this post for more info on that topic). Recommended sizes for pictures are 600-800 pixels wide (or tall), and a File Size of 100K (kilobytes) or less.[/b]

1. In the menu at the upper right side of the Gallery page, click on "Upload file". The window will change, the blue box will have the label "Upload File", and there will be spaces for you to put in picture file names.

2. Click on the first "Browse" button. This will open a small box showing the files on your computer. Navigate to the photo you want to Upload, select it, and click the "Open" button. The small box will go away, and you will see the name of the file you chose in the area next to the Browse button which you clicked.

3. Repeat the above step for multiple photo uploads, you can put up to 5 photos.

4. When finished selecting photos, click "Continue" at the bottom of the page.

5. You should get a message telling you that your Uploads were successful, click "Continue".

6. You will see a small version of your picture in the upper left corner of the Upload file box, with the relevant file information to the right of that. Below this file information is a small area that says "Select Album". Click the black arrow on the right side, and select the Album which you created (note: you can only post pictures into *your* album, however you can have more than one album).

7. You can also enter a File name and a File description on this page. That is a good thing to do, since people like to know what it is they are seeing in your pictures. You do not *have* to name it or describe it, but what the heck, why not? :)

8. After completing the above, click "Continue".

9. If you uploaded more than one file, repeat the above steps for each file. When you have completed the last file, you will get a page with a message that says "You have successfully placed all files". Click "Continue", and you will go back to the Gallery home page.

Congratulations, you are done!!! :)

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Amorous

is it possible to put a button up there by the home, help, search, profile, and logout buttons?

CapnK

Been meaning to do that... D'oh! It'll be up by the chat link, in the News bar.

Thx for the reminder! :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

You guys may already have this figured out,  but just in case.  When you are in the gallery, if you hit home, you still stay in the gallery.   But if you click on the Sunset picture, Sailfar.net,  it takes you back to the forum section. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Pixie Dust

Irfanview can be downloaded on your computer to help with picture resizing etc.  It is a free service.  The website below is a tutorial, step by step for Irfanview which can be downloaded as well to help get the pict sized right etc for posting.  Found it takes out the guess work in the final steps. 
Hope it helps those who are struggling to get the picts to the correct size.   :)

http://www.deadzoom.com/member/nktower/tutorials/IrfanView_Tutorial.htm
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

paddlefoot

CapK,

I have a question - How does one browse the photo galleries.

When I click on the Member Galleries link (shows 42 Albums w/370 files).
All I get is 4 random files and 4 latest additions. No list of Galleries.

Is it possable to Browse the Picture Albums?

Thanks,

paddlefoot
paddlefoot
--
Grampian 26 Owner

CharlieJ

Click on the Sailfar.net banner up above.

When that window opens, click on Members galleries. That'll bring up a bunch of thumbnails with memebers names under them. Click on one of those and you are there.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

paddlefoot

nope -

When I click on the Member Galleries link (shows 42 Albums w/370 files).
All I get is 4 random files and 4 latest additions. No list of Galleries/thumbnails.

Paddlefoot
paddlefoot
--
Grampian 26 Owner

Captain Smollett

Are you clicking the "Member Galleries" link while logged in?  Your login from the forum should be the same as the login for the gallery side, but if I recall correctly, you DO have to manually log into the gallery the first time.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Dougcan

Paddlefoot, when you are in the 'random" picture area, click on "members galleries" in the upper left, that will then take you to the proper place you're looking for.

Not sure why we have to click one more time to get there, but it's how it works now.

paddlefoot

No Joy.
Signed in

Clicked on member galleries 1 - 2- 3 --8 times.

Still shows NO User Galleries

Color me puzzled

paddlefoot
paddlefoot
--
Grampian 26 Owner

CharlieJ

interesting- brings up three pages of thumbnails for me.

Beyond my ken.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

paddlefoot

Just to throw some mud on to the subject.

I went to another computer (I'm at work - so I have about
350 to choose from) that I had not used before.
signed into sailfar and was able to see the thumbnails,
all 3 pages - get this  - one time -  then the same stuff.

more info

I went back to my computer - and installed Firefox -
Guess what - no problems whatsoever.

I can only suspect that it is a combination of
WinXP
SP2
IE6.0
and the local network security.
(thank you Bill)

Soooo WTF I'll just use Firefox

Paddlefoot
paddlefoot
--
Grampian 26 Owner

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Hmmm.  Now it is doing the same thing for me, and I'm using......Mozilla.  Seems like I've seen this problem before, now that I think about it.

Odd behavior, that.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Still working just fine for me, on Mozilla. I click and get right to the thumbnails of the members galleries.

Strangely enough, mine comes up first ;D.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

paddlefoot

Quote from: Captain Smollett on January 16, 2007, 05:48:32 PM
Hmmm.  Now it is doing the same thing for me, and I'm using......Mozilla.  Seems like I've seen this problem before, now that I think about it.

Odd behavior, that.

It started happening again - tried another computer and same-same.
after going thru the 3 pages they would not display again - just the
message 'no user albums'

While I have not figured out WHY it does it I did find out that if I delete
the cookie for/from sailfar.net I am able to see the photo albums again.

MeThinks that site admin needs to check out the behavior of the cookies.

Regards

paddlefoot
paddlefoot
--
Grampian 26 Owner

Captain Smollett

Very interesting. Now it is working fine for me, again.  I should be on the cookie as before, so I just don't know.

Very odd.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

paddlefoot

Quote from: Captain Smollett on January 24, 2007, 11:58:42 AM

Very odd.

Yep odd - but repeatable.
The work around is to use Firefox and config it to dump all cookies on exit.

paddlefoot
paddlefoot
--
Grampian 26 Owner