Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Good hatch design?

Started by SeaHusky, September 08, 2017, 04:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

Quote from: CharlieJ on October 02, 2017, 06:04:33 PM
The one big thing I did that was a huge improvement, was adding that seahood. Had to go to an English boating book to get plans- NONE of the American authors had anything comparable- all just addon's that screwed to deck fiber glass shells. Book called "Yacht Joinery and Fitting" by Mike Saunders

Oh and reducing the opening to 24 inches instead of the original 32 inches- you could fly a helicopter thru the original :)

The tops are balsa cored 1/2 inch thick pieces.

This pic while under construction

That's a lovely Hood!  Also to add a bridge deck, IF not already featured, is a major improvement in seaworthiness of a vessel. In fact, should be mandatory on anything but day sailors ;-)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

grile

Hello everyone,

For a hatch design ( I think good ), take a look on the POGO boats 30,40 ...

CapnK

Necroing this topic ...

Hi grile - the POGO boat is interesting. I'll bet it's very expensive, too. :) But fun to sail!

WRT an easy way to help keep the interior dry without resorting to a 'tank-style' companionway entry...

Having read many accounts of smaller boats in high latitudes being damp and uncomfortable on long passages, I've long thought a way to combat that might be to add easily removable curtains to Katie's interior right at the companionway. Basically sole to overhead, that could be mounted when/if conditions got such that swirly wind-driven spray could be pushed into the boat when ingressing/egressing. Something that'd keep spray which blows in contained until the boards were back in. Think along the lines of a shower curtain, but of Sunbrella. Maybe even a sort of flexible and temporary wet locker to hang foulies in, on a boat which doesn't have much space between companionway and berth/settee's, or otherwise a dedicated space for such.

Dunno if it would work, or would work well, but I do know it would be a lot easier to implement and try than building in a hatch which requires contortions every time it gets used. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Phantom Jim

A baffle?  Very innovative, like the clear plastic strips that hang at the door into a refrigerated space. 
Phantom Jim