Club footed jib, what/why?

Started by lastgreatgeneration, January 02, 2017, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastgreatgeneration

I'm looking at cape dory 28s. I have noticed that several owners have eliminated the option. So, is there any benefits to having one? It seems irrelevant with a roller furler. Would it be practical to fly a storm jib from it? I have read anectdotally that the club footed jib allows easier and tighter tacking as in going up a narrow channel or river. Any thoughts on the total cape dory rig design incorporating the club foot jib? Would you lose or gain anything by just eliminating it and just using say a 140 roller furling jib?

Thanks

Norman

This is not directly responsive to the question of the Cape Dory 26D, as I am sailing a Macgregor 22.

The largest advantage of club footed or boom footed jibs is the freedom from trimming the jib when tacking.  Necessarily, that limits the size to less than the fore triangle, so reduces the light air capability of your boat.  If you are sailing mostly open water, or with crew, a larger roller furling jib or genoa would be much more practical and enjoyable.

As I am normally single handing, the short tacking advantage is important.  I have fitted a second low stretch fore stay just aft the normal, and it is hoisted to a block 3/4 of the way up the mast, cleated, and then the self tending sail is hoisted with a separate halyard, also at the 3/4 tang.  When not in use the stay is held behind/under a large cleat near the base of the mast, clearing the fore triangle.  The self tending jib is also my storm jib.

The mast head genoa is on a furler, and used when the wind and channel conditions are appropriate for the greater area, whether ghosting a narrow channel, or in open water and a fair wind.  The transition takes less than a minute.

w00dy

Grog for a thorough explanation, Norm!

I've had jib booms on some previous boats and I generally liked them for the convenience of easily tacking around in close quarters. No need to handle sheets at all, just come about and trim as needed. If you like using your working sails and your cruising grounds/sailing style don't often call for head sail changes, they might appeal to you more than if you regularly use a large genoa. Definitely a good single-handing configuration though.

lastgreatgeneration

Good to know it's great for single handing. It appears I will lose foredeck dinghy stowage space, correct? Can I add remove the club footed part as needed? I'm just trying to figure out why they put that option on so few boats. If it was so great wouldn't all boats come with them? Just an observation.

Also the club foot might act as a boom vang, giving better shape to the sail. Maybe maybe not, just a thought. Would you take it off or leave it? Also, what are your thoughts on the cape dory 28 vs boats in a similar class and displacement? Ie. Triton, alberg 30, CD 27. The CD 28 seems to have more beam for it's length and more displacement than the triton. In a nutshell it's very similar in specs to my sabre 28. Obviously they are different boats and different designs.

CharlieJ

"If it was so great wouldn't all boats come with them? Just an observation. "

Probably the biggest reason is over lapping jibs. Racing round the buoys, instead of cruising.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

lastgreatgeneration

Last update.

I removed the club foot base and boom when I replaced the bowsprit. This boat sails a solid 6 knots with main and 140 RF jib. So, I still have the parts in storage but so far no regrets. For me personally, I think my current setup is perfect. As I have smaller sail area without the club jib and seems to be easier to handle than having all the extra parts everywhere. Plus there isn't much storage on this boat.

maxiSwede

Guess they are called widow-makers for a reason?  8)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com