News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Solar on my Boat

Started by Bob J (ex-misfits), August 25, 2018, 03:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Frank & others were very kind in sharing their solar configuration.
I've mounted 2-24 volt 100 amp panels on each rail using rail clamps. It allows me to rotate rhe panels, fold them flat or take them to stow in the quarter berth. I went with the Midnight Kid mppt controller because it has a menu you don't need a smart phone to configure.  I have a PV disconnect & a manual double pole transfer switch connected to the 48 volt propulsion bank & the 12 volt house bank. The controller outlet goes to the tranfer switch & I can select which bank I want to charge by selecting that bank & changing the controller voltage outlet. Work pissa. Sometimes I even scare myself with these hairbrain science experiments I come up with :)
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Frank

Awesome!
Love the flexibility!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Owly055

Quote from: misfits on August 25, 2018, 03:30:36 PM
Frank & others were very kind in sharing their solar configuration.
I've mounted 2-24 volt 100 amp panels on each rail using rail clamps. It allows me to rotate rhe panels, fold them flat or take them to stow in the quarter berth. I went with the Midnight Kid mppt controller because it has a menu you don't need a smart phone to configure.  I have a PV disconnect & a manual double pole transfer switch connected to the 48 volt propulsion bank & the 12 volt house bank. The controller outlet goes to the tranfer switch & I can select which bank I want to charge by selecting that bank & changing the controller voltage outlet. Work pissa. Sometimes I even scare myself with these hairbrain science experiments I come up with :)

I've never even heard of such a thing as 100 amp panels.......    100 amps at 24 volt would make them a 2400 watt watt panel.... I'm curious how you keep 4800 watts from cooking  your batteries and what you do with the surplus energy...........  Where did you find them and what did they cost?   You must have some very substantial wiring to carry 200 amps of current.   4800 watts is equal to over 6 horsepower.  It would make sense to use these for propulsion........... It's difficult to imagine panels of that size producing that kind of power.......

H.W.

Frank

I'm sure they're 100watt panels 😄
Wait n see...

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Yea, they're a 100 watt panels.
Looks like I had a Corona moment, hate it when that happens 8)

Frank

For Kurt or I , would have been a "rum blurr" moment 😉

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Yes CJ....you're in that "rum club" too 😉

Owly055

Quote from: misfits on August 26, 2018, 01:08:13 PM
Yea, they're a 100 watt panels.
Looks like I had a Corona moment, hate it when that happens 8)

darn!   I was hoping.................. new technology.

H.W.

SeaHusky

That would be cool, when you want to start the engine or produce 100 gallons of fresh water you peel back the cover of the solar panel...
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Norman

Start the engine?  With that much solar input, an electric drive would be the only way to go!

That would have been near 10 HP!

On the other hand, with only a reasonable battery bank, a cloudy day or a night time adventure with a lee shore would not be so good with electric drive.

Norman

Owly055

I'd like to find lunar and stellar panels........ anybody know where to get them ;-)

SeaHusky

Quote from: Owly055 on August 30, 2018, 10:09:53 AM
I'd like to find lunar and stellar panels........ anybody know where to get them ;-)
The tubes from night vision goggles arranged in a tray might give a few volts?

I recently read: Solar is just nuclear power at a safe distance...
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Phantom Jim

And i thought I was crazy trying to distill water at a rate of 20 gallons a day using an old pressure alcohol tank painted black and SS reflective plates;)
Phantom Jim