Introductions / How did you find sailFar.net?

Started by CapnK, December 18, 2005, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

So.....CJ....if I'm understanding this right...Craig and I will see you at a few beach bon-fires this winter at Manjack Cay?????   ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

I'd love that. I can only give it a try. Things are a tad too nebulous right now for firm plans though.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

DesertDreamer

My wife and I currently live in Flagstaff, AZ.  at 7000 feet in beautiful mountains but surrounded by desert for hundreds of miles.

Hence the name "Desert Dreamer".

I have worked here in Flagstaff for the past seven years at the Walgreens Distribution Center.  It's a 31 year old building and corporate announced six weeks ago that they were closing the DC.

No problem.  We were checking into a major move 9 months ago to the Windsor, CT. (just north of Hartford, CT) warehouse.  Had already planned to move, in a year or two and eventually retire in CT.

Now the plans are "move now". 

Just did phone interview Friday for middle management job in Windsor, CT (Walgreens DC) and they will let me know next week if I got the position. 

Sorry so long.

Looking at getting a Catalina 22 (used) once we get settled in CT and trailer it to Mystic, CT, New London, CT on weekends.

I have been researching ton's of websites about "trailer sailor's" and ran across your site.

Your the first one I have tried to join.

I am also a Private Pilot with 500 hours pilot in command.  Also have owned horses for 10 years.  About to trade in both of those hobbies and venture into sailing.

All above are expensive.  Have to stick with just one hobby or my wife will kill me :)

Will join the Catalina 22.org site this weekend.

Just trying to get connected and start really learning about sailing.

Any good books you would recommend for a "newbie"???

Thanks,

Greg Samson

Jim_ME

Welcome aboard, Greg,

Unfortunately, there's often not much security in today's workplace. Good to see that you have a Plan B in place.

Connecticut seems like an interesting place to live and sail there on Long Island Sound, with many interesting ports and destinations nearby.

[for books] At or near the top of the list for me are still Maiden Voyage by Tania Aebi and the cruising series by Lin and Larry Pardey, starting with Cruising in Seraffyn.

Best wishes in making the move, and transition from flying to sailing. Many of the skills from flying, such as navigation, instruments, etc., carry over to sailing/cruising.

Travelnik

Welcome Greg!

I was bitten by the boat/sailing/liveaboard bug when I was in my teens, living in Prescott, AZ, so I completely understand the "Desert Dreamer" problem!

No one that I talked to could/would understand why anyone would want to leave the desert and mountains.

Finally, after many years of ups and downs, I was able to leave AZ, and move to TX. At least I'm a bit closer to the water here, even though most "boat people" in my area would rather have twin 300hp outboards on their bass boats. They don't get the whole going slow/sailing thing.  ::)

At least the folks here on this forum get it!  ;D

I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Frank

Greg...good to have you here. There are SO many benifit's to a trailersailor.Store/maintain at home, get to travel to many different locations and most everything is smaller-simpler-cheaper. Have fun learning.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Aeon

Dear Gents,

So, this is the introduction time! My membership got approved just a few mins ago thus here is the relevant brief on me (as submitted already along with my application):

I do not posses much sailing experience (just somewhat less than 1.000nm, over 3-4years) while I fall into the "Dreamer" category, of becoming a boat owner in a 5-years time frame and to sail away with my family (i.e. living aboard). I am proud to say also that I do have a solid plan towards this goal, thus I am looking forward for the 2020 day to come for me and my family! (...with some patience until then I
guess!)

My congratulations for the Forum and members. I am looking forward to the opportunity to learn more by the experiences and know-how shared hereby.

Best Regards,

Aeon
//Aeon (Sail4U.net)

jotruk

Welcome aboard Aeon you will find a lot of good info here. Don't hesitate to look back in past posts and feel free to ask questions and you will probably get some very good answers. Again welcome aboard and have fun.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Jim_ME

Quote from: Aeon on October 21, 2014, 09:00:35 AM
I fall into the "Dreamer" category, of becoming a boat owner in a 5-years time frame and to sail away with my family (i.e. living aboard).

An approach that worked for me (and seems to for many others) is to have a two boats, one being your large cruiser, and the other a smaller trailer-sailer.

There were times when I didn't launch the larger boat (in order to work on it, or for financial reasons, etc.), and I was always glad to have the smaller boat to sail. I found that I enjoyed working on the larger boat more when I could balance that with some modest sailing (usually daysailing), so rather than being a distraction, it actually complimented the big boat. It relieved the sense that the large boat work was holding my entire sailing life hostage for indefinite periods of time.

So the suggestion that I would make to get that smallish trailer-sailer as soon as possible and use it to gain experience at sailing, and brief cruising--while you are saving up for and looking for a good larger cruiser [and possibly doing some work to get it sea ready].

For examples of this, read about how Frank trailered his SunCat 17 to various destinations (including Moosehead Lake here in Maine), or John (Capt Smollet) trailered his Skipper's Mate 18 up here from North Carolina a couple years ago--among others. I just sold my Hurley-built Alacrity 19 twin keel [project], which at 1500 pounds and under 2-foot draft, is also a good old boat that can often be found at low cost. I have another Hurley 19 with [essentially] a full single keel, that I prefer, despite how its deeper draft and 2400 lbs displacement makes it a bit more effort to trailer. Sailing away for a weekend or a week or two can be very rewarding, as you get ready for longer cruises later.

Here's a video of a Hurley 18 cruising in Sweden, to give you a taste of cruising on such a small boat...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfn4pyQ8Mo

Welcome, and good [luck] with your plans.

Aeon

Thank you Jim_ME for the insightful comments!

Definitely a new direction to consider towards my mid/long term plans, via an intermediate short-term approach (the small boat to "play" with). To be honest my approach has been to do my annual sailing "vaxination" over sumer time with a coupme of weeks on a rented boat. Your approach has the advantage of continuous year-round contact with the sport although I am a bit afraid that the expenses involved (even not too high) will have to put me a bit back on my main target. For the latter (the main target) is to move full time aboard (living) with the family and possibly my in laws (they are really nice people!). To do so I have done the maths and it seems that in a 5years frame it looks feasible for me.

In any case, let me keep your approach in the radar too, possibly for an aquisition of something small with some friends, collectively!

Thank you.

P.S. in case we go off topic hereby, please split to a new thread! Thanks.

//Aeon

//Aeon (Sail4U.net)

TmcLeod

Greetings! Been lurking for a little bit and have decided that this seems like a nice, down to earth community, so I thought I'd sign up. Can't remember how I found the forum honestly, I think it came up in a google search about diy boat cushions or something...

Anyhow, I'm mainly a dinghy sailor and probably not a particularly excellent one, but I seem to get by. I have a Bolger Gypsy that I sail around in (well sailed around in...it's been awhile) down in Hood Canal in WA. Not much big boat experience.

I acquired a Clipper Marine 26 with a flush deck awhile back in a moment of weakness. After much work I think I may actually launch her when I get some vacation time this summer. I think it'll be great to have a boat I don't have to squat in or hike out constantly to keep upright. Anyways, I'm looking to solicit some advice regarding fiberglass repair in a "false bilge" surrounding the swing keel trunk, so I think I'll head off to the relevant sub-forum for that. Guess that concludes my introduction, cheers!

jotruk

Welcome aboard
I think that you will find a lot of good info on this site. I am not much on fiberglass repair but there a sure someone that can assit you with info on that subject. Again welcome aboard.
s/v Wave Dancer
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

K3v1n

Greetings!
Haven't been around in a while since selling my Seaward back in 2010, I believe it was. The last time I had it in the water was 2008.    :-\

Anyway, today I hauled home a 1983 Com-Pac 23! Looking forward to getting her cleaned up and squared away and ready for the 2016 sailing season. This is our 'Empty Nest' plan as our last bird leaves the nest next year. :(   ???   :D

Looking to get the Wife more involved with the sailing part this go around and not just a rider. Already reviewing my collection of sailing books I have with her. :)

(Boat name pending)

CapnK

Congrats, Kevin! Mine was a '79. Be sure to get yourself one of the foiled rudders from Ida Sailor - worth every penny and then some, they make all the difference in the world how the boat handles and sails. The CP23 likes to be sailed flat, too - keep that in mind when you head to weather. You'll get lots of complements, be prepare to talk about the boat a lot whenever dockwalkers come by. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

George58

Quote from: CapnK on December 18, 2005, 11:18:11 PM
Did you stumble across the site, or were you referred? An interested webmaster wants to know.... :D

Thanks for visiting, stay a while and join in!
If everything works out rite I'll be towing home a Balboa 27 Friday 10/16/2015
She needs some work but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time.
As I am new to sailing I'll probably have Two or Three questions.
I will keep you posted.
Balboa 27

Tim

Quote from: George58 on October 14, 2015, 10:32:24 PM
Quote from: CapnK on December 18, 2005, 11:18:11 PM
Did you stumble across the site, or were you referred? An interested webmaster wants to know.... :D

Thanks for visiting, stay a while and join in!
If everything works out rite I'll be towing home a Balboa 27 Friday 10/16/2015
She needs some work but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time.
As I am new to sailing I'll probably have Two or Three questions.
I will keep you posted.

Welcome aboard! Keep us posted
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

fossil2010

Hi I am a fossil from Squamish BC at the end of Howe Sound. Purchased a Cal 29 a couple of months ago and am trying to get her ready for cruising the PNW next summer. Not a lot of sailing experience but had a couple of summers on Lake Simcoe back in Ontario. Would be interested in hearing from other cal29 owners to exchange ideas. Looks like a good site hear with like minded sailors. Just surfing the web for boating sites and there you were. Glad I did. Fair Winds to all

jotruk

Welcome aboard fossil glad your here, and yes this is a great site if you get a chance you might try the Thursday night chat session lot of good things to talk about there. Have fun and looking farward to 
hearing about your fix up of your boat.
s/v Wave Dancer

CharlieJ

Yes, Welcome aboard.

Chat was kinda fun last night - covered the country

Jim_me in Maine, Me in South Texas, Jotruk, also in Texas and Frank anchored out somewhere in the Pac NW.

Technology is really something huh?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

stumpy

Greetings all,

Finally got around to registering on Sailfar after coming across the link on the Ariel site some time ago.  Certainly looked like a group of folks in my comfort zone! :-)

I'm finally back on the Salish Sea (PNW) after too many years living away in a sea of sagebrush, although I survived there with a variety of trailer-sailors from an SJ21 to a GlenL 17 I knocked together. Work as a pilot (aeroplanes) seasonally and am an archaeologist the rest of the time.

Years ago I had a Cheoy Lee 27/Newall Cadet that I lived aboard and knocked about in, from Puget Sound to Cali, Hawaii, and AK.  Dearly loved that boat and hated to part with her.

I'm a confirmed fan of Mr. Alberg...just can't get enough of the traditional lines in his design work.  I have an Electra (#250) that's on the hard at the moment....that needs to change soon because I prefer sailing during what other folks think of as the "off-season" here in the pacific northwest.  Wish I could find an Ariel (or a Meridian) that needs refitting but they're hard to come by in this neck of the woods...25-27 footers are my comfort zone, but I can squat in the Electra until one comes along.

Thanks for letting me come aboard!