Introductions / How did you find sailFar.net?

Started by CapnK, December 18, 2005, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Great to have you onboard!!! Obvious superior taste in boats as well!!!
You'll find no shortage of Alberg fans here.....  Actually, this site sprang off of a bunch of Ariel sailors talking way back. Kurt was the brains, tech and driving force!!  Tim, John, Craig, Zen, Starcrest, Kurt, myelf and a bunch of others were all Ariel or Alberg sailors.  That lil Electra is a fine boat as well!!!
You have a beautiful cruising grounds to play in!!!

Have fun    We look forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing a few pics of your Electra!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Welcome aboard.

Hmmph

Rhodes  (Meridians)
;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

stumpy

Thanks for the welcome fellas!  Yup...your Meridian is just so darn pretty she could've come from Mr. Alberg's drafting table...(with apologies to Mr. Rhodes, ha ha).

I hesitated a day (yesterday) and just missed a pretty good deal on a Bristol 27...unlike the northeast, ya just don't find traditional pocket cruisers in need of love hiding under every rock out here.  Oh well, the Electra will keep me happy enough until something comes along.

Hope you enjoyed your recent voyage to the fullest Frank.  Looks like I overflew you a couple of weeks ago delivering an aeroplane north.

CharlieJ

Although we've have had some discussions over the years, Rhodes Vs Alberg. I personally think Rhodes was the master of the sheer line, but truth be told they are, or were, BOTH masters .

Beautiful boats from BOTH drawing boards
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

stumpy

Charlie,

Couldn't say it better, nor agree more.

Frank

OK...this is kinda hi jacking this thread...a bit...but...

I love Alberg boats....nuff said!

Having stated that.....he was cleverly deceptive!!!!
There is NO swooping "sheer line" to Albergs!!

Look at them!!!  Honestlty....   They have "straight sheer lines" , higher at the bow running straight to lowr aft!!  How did he make it look so good "straight"???  Seriously??

I've restored and cruised an Ariel...awesome boat!! Best off shore sailor I've ever had!! Restored an electra too....unreal 22fter!  Look at them...straight sheer lines!! But, they look awesome!!

Yes CJ...Rhodes was the "master of the sheer" ! That pic I posted of the Rhods 29...simply beautiful!!  50+yrs later...nothing compares!! Wish they made boats like that now!!

Point being tho....how did Carl do it???

Both were old school masters!!!  Either created exceptionally fine designs!!!

Pegu Club

Hello to all here,
Just joined, have been lurking for a bit as it were.
The idea of keeping things simple is very appealing to me and my wife.
We started our boat ownership with a 1975 Bristol Corsair 24ft. We sailed her for two and one half years, a great boat imo, we sold her to some folks who were down sizing from a larger boat. We then bought a 1977 Bristol 29.9, just big enough for our likes. We bought her this past August 2015, and, then proceeded to remove the pressure and hot water systems, and the marine head and holding tank, manual over board pump out system, then glassed in the now unused thruhulls. We have a composting head that we used on our last boat. Our thoughts are to have simple systems on board, in which to keep the fix stuff to enjoyment ratio on the correct path as it were.
We are looking forward to learn from all of you, as we are going to retire and head "out" in four and one half years. We sail mostly in the fishers island/ Long Island sound, with the intent of going farther afield staring this spring.
I found you guys as a link on another site or blog.

1977 Bristol 29.9 hull #17
A slave to the wind.
The blog, www.adventuresontheclub.com

CharlieJ

Welcome aboard. Wishing you great cruising
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Good to have you along.....

Don't be afraid to post a picture or 3 of your boat.

Keep us posted on your modifications

Pegu Club

If you are willing, you can see our work in progress on my wifes blog, at adventuresontheclub.com lots of pictures of what we have been up to.
A slave to the wind.

CharlieJ

:D :D

Huge lesson learned- ALWAYS, always tie off ladders.

Sanding for barrier coat is NOT fun. If Kimberly likes it, she's for sure a keeper ;)

But you probably knew that already didn't you? ;D

Oh- and why don't you put the link to the blog in your profile?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pegu Club

Yes she is a keeper 😄 And I will put the blog in my sig, good idea.
A slave to the wind.

lance on cloud nine

Welcome Pegu Club! I have enjoyed looking through your blog!
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Crseloc

I read Cruiser Forum and someone suggested Sailfar as Iit pertains to smaller cruiser sailboats. I have a West wight Potter 19 so here I am

jotruk

welcome to the forum we are looking farward to hearing about you adventures on the ww19
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Herb

Cyric30

Herb
Welcome, that's how i found my way awhile back, and haven't left yet :)

Frank

Welcome aboard Herb

Keep us updated with any improvements and/or adventures.

What a great shallow draft boat!!   Pics please  ;)

Here's a well written article on a father that took along 2 passengers AND a dog to Bahamas in one!!

http://potter-yachters.org/stories/bahamas/

The guy is funny as heck to boot!

CapnK

Hi Herb, welcome aboard. I came REAAAALLLLLLLYYY close to being a Potter 19 owner. For a number of reasons, it was one of the 3 boats on my short list as a first monohull, along with the Com-Pac 23, and Flicka. As fate would have it, a CP23 found it's way to me first. :D The WWP19's are very neat boats, tho' - I have yet to sail on one, but still look forward to the day I finally do. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Don Durban

Hello there,
I found Sail Far after searching for real people with "small?" cruiser sailboats. I have been on one site mainly but those good folk have way too much money and "fix" their monster cruisers with the "help" of professionals mostly. A few, however, really know the sport from every direction and I take off my hat to them.
You guys (Sail Far) seem to have your feet on the deck and are my kinda people.
My name is Don and I live on the East coast of South Africa in Durban. I'm 64 and have recently bought a van der Stadt Spirit (28 ft.) I'm slowly learning about sailing  although I am a skilled dinghy sailor (I sailed on one once when I was about 9 or 10in a little dam). I am an old green-horn when it comes to sailing and my only sea experience is skin diving and spear fishing and fishing off small fishing boats and launching through huge surf. I paddle a surf ski too...
The Bluff suburb where I live with my family is adjacent to Durban Harbour (ZADUR) (I can see the activity) and the other side of the Bluff is the Indian Ocean, (next stop Australia). We have fantastic beaches and heavy foliage is everywhere. Lots of snakes, mongoose and small buck (blue duiker) and millions of monkeys and bad drivers.
The aircons are running most of the year here and the lowest temp I've recorded was 7 Celcius (with wind blowing from the snowy Drakensberg mountains about 2-3 hours away by car).
Summer is fantastic up to 10 a.m. then we cook all day and night. I love it!
We have 3 yacht clubs and even more deep-sea fishing clubs in our area. Bluff YC, Point YC  Royal Natal YC (one of the oldest in the world. I kid you not).
Being a tropical area the sea can go from dead calm to really hairy in a very short time and sailors here can regale you with stories of heroism (until you throw up). Nice people really.
What makes our yachties great sailors is the fact that our nearest other port is Richards Bay (North) about 200 plus Km away and East London (South) about 450 Km away, both with NOTHING in between, nowhere to hide! So most of our experienced sailors have seaweed between their teeth and certainly have the right to be respected (and teased).
i have two boys, one 23, 6ft 7" doing his Masters in math and what I call "star gazing" and the little guy is 21 and 6ft 10" (My spare masts?) He is studying something to do with computers and gadgets. They fortunately do not follow in their father's footsteps.
My wife is a school teacher with lots of degrees. And I allow her to rule the roost. (yeah right).
Other than that I am on one hectic learning curve when it comes electronics, batteries and names for bits and pieces of yachts and their functions, never mind sailing. At least I know a bit about how sails work from my hobby of aerodynamics (fluid dynamics) and beer.
Regards,
Don Durban