Introductions / How did you find sailFar.net?

Started by CapnK, December 18, 2005, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Welcome aboard Don. Please try to post some pics of the area.

I have found that sailors from South Africa are pretty salty. I've met a few passing thru, and have demolished a jug of rum with one or two.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Glad to have you here Don.

Post a picture of your little ship when you can

Thanks for the Exellent discription of your sailing area
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Don Durban

Hi Chaps,
Thank you for the friendly welcome to Sail Far. One day, when you have nothing to do, "Sail Far" away to Africa and pop into Durban and my club, Royal Durban YC and I'll gladly buy you a nights worth of frosties, braai (braai is a barbecue... but better)!
Lots of game reserves around here, lots of Indian Ocean, two World Heritage Sites, Zulus, Indians (the largest population outside of India), and fabulous cuisine. And the Dollar and Pound rule.
All the best,
Don.
(Bring lots of sunscreen for yourselves and perhaps a Budweiser for me)

CharlieJ

ROFL- If I was able to come there, I sure as the devil wouldn't bring a Budweiser- I'd bring a REAL beer- a Shiner Boch ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

zedpassway

Ahoy!

I got here because somebody on a big boat site told me that with my little pocket cruiser I didn't belong there, and that I should come here.  So I did!

I sail a 19 foot West Wight Potter, up in Frenchman's Bay out side of Bar Harbor, Maine. Water temps never get above 53 in the heat of the summer.  And usually, I am the only boat out in the bay---period.

I'm sort of a newbie sailor.  After sailing when I was 16, I didn't start again until I was 66, a 50 year break in between.  My wife(the Admiral) and I are pretty much on our own.  There is no one  up here to teach us, and literally no one up here to save us except the USCG, and they are 12 miles away.  Our maiden sail with the boat from launch to our mooring did in fact require saving by the USCG---thru an incredible series of Murphy's Law mishaps, that few people actually believe me. 

The admiral and I are current re-fitting the boat for all the stuff we didn't have last year.  Day sails up here can easily turn into over-nighters when things change suddenly; and falling into the water is immediately life threatening.

I'll be happy to be able to communicate with another group of people, and hopefully some who sail a boat like me in conditions like mine.

Zed

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jotruk

Welcome aboard Zed I'm sure that you will find a lot of knowledge here and if you have questions don't be afraid to ask.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Norman

Welcome to you both, Zed and the Admiral!

I am sure that a first sail in a new to you boat after that many years gave Murphy plenty of opportunity.  He gets shots at me after just a winter on the trailer.  We should always put a figure 8 knot in the end of the main sheet?  Yep!  Where are the battens? 

If you feel inclined to post the story here, I for one will read with care, and  probably say "Yep, did that too".

If you have been "lurking" for a while you have read some good ones already.  If not, find time to read the tales in the index and check the comments made, you will find that most are helpful, rather than critical.

I am curious, which big boat board did you come from?  And kudos to the man that sent you here, he guided you well.

Jim_ME is up your way, and understands the conditions that you sail in, check his posts.

Norman

Frank

Welcome

Trailerable boats are great!! So easy/cheap to store, work on at home with all your tools and no yard fees!! And....so many places to see.
Ive trailered to Moosehead 3 times now....simply beautiful!
Well worth the drive for you as it wouldnt be too far to take a week or 2 away.
Have fun and.....pictures....we love pictures  :)

Antioch

Glad my account was still active. :) I missed SailFar. Is there a Facebook page yet?

P   O    R    T    L    A   N    D    -    M    A    I    N    E

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

KB1973

Hello everyone,

Good to find a place that has the same small boat, simple sailing outlook as myself. I have been sailing small boats on and off for about 15yrs. Still consider myself a beginner and have a lot to learn. Sort of self taught and figured it out along the way. I have owned a Cal 27, Cal 29, and a Pearson 26.  The more I learn the smaller the boat seems to get. Currently without a boat but looking to purchase in the spring next year. Keeping my eye out for anything 25ft and smaller. Really Interested in the Westerly models. Looking forward to participating in this forum.

Jim_ME

Welcome aboard, KB.  :)

I share your interest in Westerly sailboats. As you may already know, several members have owned Pearson Ariel 26's.

Where are you located?

Look forward to your participating in SailFar forum, too.

KB1973

Currently in Nashville. Looking to buy around Florida so I can have easier access to the Bahamas

FlickaSailor

Hi everyone! I'm Hollie, I live in Seattle, and I've owned a sweet little '79 Flicka for the last year. Her name is Elska. I haven't been sailing her much, I have fibromyalgia (chronic pain and fatigue) and last year sailing was pretty tough. But I'm optimistic that things will be better this year. My husband and I area in our early 40's, and we have two kids (who both have no interest in sailing, ha!). The boat and all her maintenance is mine, and Greg just takes part in the sailing and enjoyment of sail trim. That's the deal we made, and we're both very happy with it.

I plan on spending the next thirty years or so sailing around the San Juans. :) I keep a blog about my two hobbies, sailing and sewing, at www.sewbiwan.com.

Nice to meet you all!

Frank

Welcome aboard here
You have a wonderful little cruiser and the perfect playground for her.
Beautiful boat in a beautiful area!!

Norman

Welcome aboard, you have a great small boat that is a tough as much larger ones.

Frank and others have Flicka experience, and others wish they had one, including me.

Norman

Norman

Antioch, it has been a long time since my wife Shirley and I met you at Catalina Island, on HARD KNOTS, your Newport 20! Are you still driving trucks?  I let my medical die 8 years ago, so class A lost its for hire category, but is still good for fun.  Biggest I have driven lately is an F350 turbo diesel Ford double cab, long bed, with a 28 foot travel trailer behind it.  The owner and I have taken that rig to the Keys to cmp and fish.  We load his semi V aluminum boat and its trailer frame on the cap, upside down, and wheels, axle and springs in the cap with the motor etc.  Quite a rig.

Very good to hear from you again.

Norman

Easy Living

I recently purchased a 1995 27ft Com Pac and was seeking out Com Pac owners and stumbled across this site.  I have owned O'days (23,26) in the past but they were not nearly the level of sophistication as the 27 Com Pac.  I am eager to start my adventure in Annapolis, MD at the ripe age of 68. I only hope to be able to navigate the steep steps into my cabin!  I am looking forward to picking the brains of any liveaboard 27ft Com Pac sailors.

CapnK

Welcome aboard! there's quite a bit of CP experience here, and some in the 27. I have sailed on one myself, and know that there is an owner or two here that I'll not name but who wil probably chime in... :) Are you starting in Annapolis and heading south/north, or sailing locally for a while?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)