News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

S/V 'Faith'

Started by s/v Faith, December 22, 2005, 02:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Capt K (of Beneteau 465 fame) mentions lies?? Now who would you believe...a nice retired couple on a classic sloop with beautiful traditional lines...or the slurring capt of a Beneteau?? AND..and..as to alcohol inducer...I resemble that remark  ;)  I can't believe our good Capt would print such info on Faith...I'm sure simply out of frustration because he can't get his 465 out of the harbour without high tide to float her and here they are out cruising. Keep going Faith..there will be many characters along the way...some more sober than others ;D 
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

maxiSwede

Spending a couple of days in port now, waiting for a front passage to clear. It's great to have wifi access. Internet connections have been rare during my cruise, but now I am getting updated 'par tout'

Great to read about you guys ut on the water, enjoying yourselves.

I wish you a pleasant trip and Fair Winds

s/v Röde Orm curently in port at Nynäshamn, Sweden
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Captain Smollett

Craig and Rose,

Sorry I missed you in Georgetown.  I was down at Tybee Island last week.  I'm back up "North" now, so it looks like I'll miss you down that way as well.

Tybee/Savannah is a really cool place so I hope you guys get to spend some time there.  If anything comes up and you guys need a hand/shoreside support, let me know; it's only a few hours from here.

Savannah restaurant recommendation: on River Street, there is a little place called One Eyed Lizzies.  We happened upon it and I really liked it.  Everybody and their brother in that area does seafood, but this one was a little different.  It was Mexican dishes made with seafood.  I had shrimp quesedillas and they were GREAT.   ;)

You can dock right there along River Street.

--JR
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

John,

We spent the last three nights at the town dock at Savannah.  Great place, very small boat friendly town.

We spun the prop on our outboard, I will post the details and pictures in a bit.  We are at Thunderbolt Marina tinight, doing laundry and such.  Hope to catch up with Dan tonorrow.

Will post some more after we get cleaned up and laundery done.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Hey- I've been at Thunderbolt about 6 times now- let me know if they still deliver donuts and the morning paper to your cockpit around daylight.

Hope you guys are having a ball. 

When you cross the St Johns River in a few weeks (days?), as you get to the first high bridge south- wave at the island on your left- there'll be a Roberts 54 sitting up on the land- that's where I built my trimaran years ago- there's a very good anchorage over on the other side , north of the bridge,
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on September 03, 2007, 09:57:30 PM

We went off shore to Charleston, and while the approach was nice, the city was a little bit of a disappointment.  The City Marina was a $2 a night deal, with little to offer and a 35' min.  Paying $70 (+power!) seemed a bit extreme, especially when most of the attractions were across town.  We anchored in the town anchorage and only dingied ashore for some water and to stretch our legs.  (note: there are no publically accessable dingy docks near the Charleston anchorage, we stopped along side a nice liveaboard for the couple minutes we were there.)

>:(

I sure don't want to hear that Charleston is not small-boat friendly - we have a week planned there next month.

Some thoughts about City Marina and the next one up-river:

I called City Marina earlier this summer to inquire about use of showers if anchored out.  She said "no-way, costs too much to keep 'em clean if everyone uses them."  At $70 per night for the City Marina, I thought that was a pretty expensive shower!  She did tell me there is a "public shower" alonside one of the restaurants next to the marina.

She also advised that we CAN use the dinghy dock, so I'm a bit confused/concernced you could not access the shore from the anchorage.  That's what we are planning to do - anchor in the City Anchorage and dinghy ashore. Your comments, though, have made us begin working on Plans B and C a little more diligently (Plan S or T or so is to actually stay at a marina). 

The Charleston bus system is the way we will get around while there.  We can get a 3-day pass for Becky and I (the children are free) for $9 each.  If you don't mind walking up to a 1/2 to 1 mile, there's a LOT to see and do in Charleston within that distance of the City anchorage.  Some of the stuff we want to do is farther out; that's why the plan to use the bus.

Finally, the next marina up-river from the City Marina quotes a cheaper per ft/per night rate - but not by much.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

QuoteI sure don't want to hear that Charleston is not small-boat friendly - we have a week planned there next month.

I have gotten a bit more info from a friend of mine.  THere is a marina in the channel opposite the fort that charges something like .85 a foot, and comes recommended.  Call me or if you are not in a hurry PM me and I will contact my friend to get the name of the marina again.

QuoteSome thoughts about City Marina and the next one up-river:

I called City Marina earlier this summer to inquire about use of showers if anchored out.  She said "no-way, costs too much to keep 'em clean if everyone uses them."  At $70 per night for the City Marina, I thought that was a pretty expensive shower!  She did tell me there is a "public shower" alonside one of the restaurants next to the marina...... (ed) ....Finally, the next marina up-river from the City Marina quotes a cheaper per ft/per night rate - but not by much.

THe next marina up from the city marina is a little more... but when I called and asked them about the rates the guy who answered the phone said they do not accept sailboats less the 35'!!!!   I asked again and he said it was in their charter or some bogus thing like that.  THat was the Ashley marina, but it has some other name now as the new owners have changed it slightly. 

QuoteShe also advised that we CAN use the dinghy dock, so I'm a bit confused/concernced you could not access the shore from the anchorage.  That's what we are planning to do - anchor in the City Anchorage and dinghy ashore. Your comments, though, have made us begin working on Plans B and C a little more diligently (Plan S or T or so is to actually stay at a marina). 

My friend also mentioned that there is still a dingy dock there at the city marina (the guide says it is there so I was confused when I could not find it.)  It is on the South side of the 'megga dock' which had a pretty good chop in addition to the current so I had not gone out to that end to look.  I (guess) it is accessable via the end of the dock closer to the USCG station (which posts that a 500' no entry zone is expected.... which would make the south entry to the marina off limits as I recall the distance......  ::)

Anyways, the dingy dock (if you find it) is supposed to be $5 with no services.

QuoteThe Charleston bus system is the way we will get around while there.  We can get a 3-day pass for Becky and I (the children are free) for $9 each.  If you don't mind walking up to a 1/2 to 1 mile, there's a LOT to see and do in Charleston within that distance of the City anchorage.  Some of the stuff we want to do is farther out; that's why the plan to use the bus.

I found that most everything was a good distance from the City dock and anchorage.  I think riding the bus is a great plan.  Here is what I would recommend if you are making the trip.

There is an small island just beyond the bridge with a very nice little anchoarge.  it is on the ICW, just south (maybe 4 miles) beyond the turn off for the city marina (ICW mile ~ 470.8) (south Windermere bridge I think).  THere is a restrauant there, with a small dock (the crab shack).  THe people were very friendly and it was a big dock so I doubt there would be any problem using that as a dingy dock (maybe eat a lunch there first).  Some time back one of the houses there had a sign that welcomed dingys.  I did not see it...

Anyway the restraunt is good, the anchoarge is good and there is a main road that crosses back into savannah.

Might be worth checking out.

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 11, 2007, 12:42:40 AM
Hey- I've been at Thunderbolt about 6 times now- let me know if they still deliver donuts and the morning paper to your cockpit around daylight.

Hope you guys are having a ball. 

When you cross the St Johns River in a few weeks (days?), as you get to the first high bridge south- wave at the island on your left- there'll be a Roberts 54 sitting up on the land- that's where I built my trimaran years ago- there's a very good anchorage over on the other side , north of the bridge,

Yes Thunderbolt was nice, we DID have doughnuts and a paper delivered to the boat then next morning.   ;D 

We only stayed there one night, and sailed down to the Ogeechee River where we have been enjoying staying with Dan (Psyche) for the last couple days now.  He is a great guy, and you really need to take a look at the mods he and James Baldwin have done to his boat.  We are rafted outboard of it, and have had a great time here.  It is a very beautiful river, and there is an Alberg 30, and the legendary 'Atom' James Baldwin's 2x circumnavigating Triton.  If you have not checked out his web site, you need to.

I will post some pictures soon, just wanted to let everyone know we are alive.  Thanks for all the prayers, support, & encouragement you guys have given us.

Blessings,

Edit: to correct links to AtomVoyages web site

Faith 1st Mate

The Crab Shack was really nice, he meant to say Charleston, not Savannah. ;)  Savannah is really great, it reminded me a lot of New Orleans, LA. 

We are having a good time and meeting a lot of great people. 

Pixie Dust

Hi Craig and Rose!!  Glad to hear you are on your cruise. I am trying to catch up a little on Sailfar but my connection is very tempermental. 
I laughed as I read your postings and looked at the picts!!  So happy for you both.
I too am still having fun but unfortunately, the money is almost gone.  I have to be back up to Nassau on Oct 20 for my sons wedding and then I guess I will have to be easing back to the states and up the West coast of FL.  I am not ready to return to the craziness of the US life.  I sort of really really like the craziness of the Bahamian life.  :)
Enjoy!!  I was hoping we could drink a little Bahamian Rum in the same locale soon. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

psyche

I want to report an enjoyable visit by Rose and Craig for the past several days. Unfortunately I think my hospitality and the enjoyment of their visit has reduced their agenda of daily milage. I was impressed with Faith and how they have made so many well thoughtout and planned accommodations on Faith to have the creature comforts that they do. I was able to capture a picture of Faith with James Baldwin's Atom and a 30 Alberg Midwatch) for a family Alberg picture. The importance of the picture is that Atom circumnavigated twice, the 30 Alberg has been to Trinidad and Fath is on her way to the Caribbean beginning her voyage. If their are other SailFar members headed down the ICW and would like to lay over please contact me. For rose and Craig: May God be the wind in their sails, have his hand on their tiller, to safely guide them through the passages of their voyages. Dan

HT

Ya'll have really done a lot of work to FAITH! :) I like everything you guys have done:  the new Anchoring System, the Stern Pulpit, the new paint job(fish included)...They will show up well in the Bahamas, the Bimini and Dodger, thru hull, drawers, shelves, etc.  Is that a dinghy motor I saw on the Stern Pulpit?  Is the Yamaha still pushing ya'll OK?  Does the Tillerpilot still work? with a GPS Interface?  Mast Head Light?        Where are you now?  Where are you crossing over to the Bahamas?  What part of them are you going to?  I recommend the Abacos.....many sailboats.....good anchorages.  I went out of Lake Worth Inlet and entered at West End and ended up in Marsh Harbor (3rd largest city in the Bahamas, but not near as big as Nassau or Freeport).  Over there Ch 16 is like a Public Information Station...a source of valuable info. 
Be safe....sort of a bad weather window...Hurricane Season...If you haven't crossed yet, I'd go back to your friend's in the Savannah area or if you know people in Florida, stay there until mid-October....then go.  If you want, I'll contact my sister in Jacksonville, FL about hooking you up.  There's also a nice marina up there at NAS Jax.....Jax is a little out of your way but the more inland the better during this time of the year.     

YF,
                                                      Herb Tucker
                                                      (757) 369-2724

Great Peace

Hey former Commode,

New Mr. Vice here, up and running.  Just wanted to check in and say hello.  Your friends at Ragged Point always ask for updates.  All is well here and enjoy reading your insightful postings.  Will you be going to Pensacola prior to the Bahamas?  I thought you maybe were.  Best to Rose ;D  How is Peter doing?

Praying for you,
Mark

s/v Faith

Here is the post I typed up from St. Catherine's Island.  We are in Brunswick right now, i will type up someting and post the latest pictures after I get a shower.

Ahoy from St. Catherine's Sound!                                                16 September 2007

We are lazing here after a nice evening on the hook adjacent to the St. Catherine's Island wildlife rescue center.  We stayed here on advice from friends who said the Bronx zoo has released it's retired wildlife here for years.  We have not seen any yet, but have had a very nice evening and morning looking at the Island.

I am getting ahead of myself though.

Beaufort was a great town to visit, the downtown marina staff were friendly hand helpful, and it was nice to use their courtesy car to do some shopping.  We only stayed in the marina to top off our fuel and batteries and then went out to a great anchorage just South of the marina.  We had a nice time there, but somehow we forgot to take any pictures (sorry).  We met a couple of new friends there, LR and his son Micha are heading to the middle east as missionaries.  We had great fellowship with them, and might have lingered longer there to enjoy their company.

We headed out to a nice anchorage on the Cooper River.  It had been a nice day of sailing in moderate winds so we had dinner and went to bed early for an early start the next morning.   

We did not get far before we were acquainted with the tides here on the 'Low Country' coast!

Our first grounding of the trip was one for (our) recordbooks.  We sailed off of the anchor on the same course we had come in, but with a slightly lower tide.  I took this picture about an hour before the low tide, after she had settled a but and Rose put the camera back below where it was nearly impossible to get to before the boat started to right herself.  There was dry ground about 10' from where she lay, and less then a foot of water.  She settled easily and righted herself with no problems or damage when the tide came in.

Savannah was a beautiful city and very small boat friendly.  The approach was largely undeveloped and scenic right up to the industrial boarder of the city.

We stayed at the downtown docks,

Faith at Savannah.

which were nice but pretty rolly with the large merchant traffic that came through.  Our first night there ~ 15 merchant ships came through, but stopped by 1am which was pretty much when the crowds started to thin.

We had a great time there.  We took the 'back channel' down to the ICW from Savannah.  The bridge is 35' high, and our mast is 35' high with a 3' antenna.  We were closer to low tide, but with no tide board we had to have 'Faith' that we were at low enough water.... it was close.

We left the town dock after 3 days, and went to Thunderbolt GA, where we planned to wait for a new propeller my dad had ordered for us. We had spun the hub on the old one heading up the Cooper river.  We checked into the marina planning to spend up to a week waiting, but after doing some laundry and walking into town I remembered a friend from SailFar's offer to stay at their dock nearby. They deliver fresh Krispy Cream doughnuts and a paper to your boat at Thunderbolt marina which was nice.  We had breakfast and got underway for Dan's ('Psyche' on SailFar) house.

The Ogechee was a bit of a challenge, but had I printed out Dan's directions, or come into the river at high tide it would have been less stressful 15 mile detour.

We got to Dan's house at dusk and rafted outboard of his Columbia 8.7 where he greeted us and had a wonderful dinner of fried chicken on his dock.

As I mentioned earlier, you really need to take a look at the work he and James Baldwin have done on this amazing boat.  I knew that with James experience the modifications would make great sense, but I did not expect the craftsmanship.  The fit and finish of the interior are amazing.  It was a great couple days enjoying Dan's hospitality and the beautiful surroundings were only added to by the Alberg 30, and James Baldwin's Triton 'Atom' moored near by.   Our last day there we rode back into Savannah with Dan.  We had a great day walking around especially with 'local info' to help us find the treasures.  We met the owner of a small family vineyard We tasted his wonderful Muscadine wines and he even found a couple that Rose liked! 

The tide is high now, so I will stop here and weigh anchor.  I hope I can upload this soon......

To be continued!

s/v Faith

Connie,

Quotebut unfortunately, the money is almost gone......

Hang in there COnnie!  We are Comming!  We got stuck at Ft. Fredrica for a couple days with the weather, and it was such a beautiful anchoge.... we will only stay in Brunswick, at $45 a day we won't linger too long.

Dan,

QuoteUnfortunately I think my hospitality and the enjoyment of their visit has reduced their agenda of daily milage........

No Dan, we can not blame you... we said we were going to take our time and we have.. now to get to it so we don't miss Connie! 

Quote. For rose and Craig: May G O D be the wind in their sails, have his hand on their tiller, to safely guide them through the passages of their voyages. Dan

Thank you so much Dan.  We really appreciate your kindness.  May it come back to you.  ;D

HERB!!,

It is really nice to hear from you!  For everyone else, Herb is Faith's prior owner.  He did a great job of taking care of her.  Yes Herb, the Yamaha outboard is still chugging along, as a matter of fact we just replaced the 8.5" x 6.5" prop with a 9" x 7" prop that is labeled the 'dual thrust' prop.  It dropped the RPM's and seems to back better.  The 8.5" prop had spun so we had to replace it.

Mark,

I am very glad to hear all is going well back at Gottchalks.  We miss our friends from Ragged Point, and are glad you are the 'Vice' and know you will do great things.   ;)

Here is a sign our friend Tracie made for us... it has the boats name in signal flags, and the dingy panter leads to our dingy... and I kinda think it looks like a path leading back to all our frends in NC that are following along.

Blessings to all.

s/v Faith

QuoteTo be continued!

We left Dan's place on the Ogeechee (it is 14.54miles from the ICW marker 98) and sailed to St. Catherine's Island (Walberg creek) making 28.6 miles mostly under sail.  We had heard from friends that there were wild animals there that had been 'retired' from the Bronx zoo.  I did not see any, but we had a nice night there.  Getting there was a bit breezy, we had 25-25k all day and even saw a 60' piling with a day marker floating by (called the CG, they were not too interested.... i had to talk them into copying the lat/lon...  ::)

Anyway, we had a nice night there, we sailed across the sound and anchored near marker 180, for a long night in 'back river' with little protection from the wind.

We made it through 'Mud river' fortunately we made it at high tide, because at low water (our depths - the 7' tide) there would have been less then 3' in the middle of the channel!

From there we made a detour to the Frederica River, where we stayed for 2 days (at 455.5 miles from our start) to wait out the weather and see the Fort.  It was a great Anchorage,

and we really enjoyed taking our time to see the Fort and settlement.  We were really close.

The day we were there a local school was taking a tour and the rangers were dressed in period costume.  Faith made a good backdrop as he explained the ships approach to the fort

We sailed down the Frederica river, and out to the sea buoy to go up to Brunswick.  Here is the Bridge, and Roses thumb.  ;D

We sailed up the East River to Brunswick landing marina, and passed the shrimp fleet coming in;

The marina is nice, with free laundry, and wifi.  The nicest thing so far was meeting James Baldwin and his wife Mei this afternoon.  They are coming by in the morning to take us shopping.

Will update more soon.

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on September 11, 2007, 09:10:32 AM
Quote from: s/v Faith on September 03, 2007, 09:57:30 PM

We went off shore to Charleston, and while the approach was nice, the city was a little bit of a disappointment.......

>:(

I sure don't want to hear that Charleston is not small-boat friendly - we have a week planned there next month........

John,

Here is a link to a post on the SSCA website about Charleston marinas.  'jusdreaming' is out of Charleston, and might be able to help you out.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on September 20, 2007, 10:24:01 PM

John,

Here is a link to a post on the SSCA website about Charleston marinas.  'jusdreaming' is out of Charleston, and might be able to help you out.

Thanks for the info.

Actually, we were planning to anchor out rather than in marinas, so I am REALLY interested in more detail on that 'good' anchorage you described.  I picked up my 35 lb Manson today...what a beast.

I'll get a shot of it on the bow for you later...so you can compare to yours.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

psyche

Craig & Rose, I'm glad to hear you have hooked up with James. I am sure you are enjoying the boat talk. How much longer do you think you will be in Brunswick? Have you received the items you ordered? I am glad you enjoyed the fort and added to the nautical part of the ranger's discussion. I would like to extend a welcome to any other SailFar members who my be passing by on the ICW and would like to lay over at my dock on the Ogeechee. Dan

AdriftAtSea

Thanks for the update and photos...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more