Show me your little Dinghy / Tender / what have you....

Started by Zen, December 30, 2005, 12:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

The pool-noodle idea is ingenious. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

Just remember, the stainless steel cable doesn't have to be cut-proof.  Most thieves are just opportunistic bastages... and if the cable makes it less convenient to steal than the next dinghy over, they'll take the next dinghy over instead. 

It's like if you're out in the woods and you and your friend run into a hungry grizzly bear, you don't have to out run the bear, you just have to out run your friend. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

maxiSwede

Quote from: s/v Faith on October 15, 2007, 08:28:07 PM

Noodle Keel

Next problem was the lack of directional stability.  Rowing was easier, but a slightly uneven pull would cause you to slide sideways.  I did not want to invest in an add on inflateable keel, so I went to the dollar general store and bought a pool 'noodle'.  These foam tubes are hollow, and will take a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe nicely.  I wrapped the ends of the pipe in a generous amount of duct tape so they could not get to the halypon floor and cause chafe.  I

Given my limited knowledge of English, I don' really get it. What is a 'pool noodle'? ??? This posting describes exactly what I've been thinking of doing to my own deflatable dink. Haven't yet figured out the details though. The pvc tube for electrical cables is my starting point though... You don't think you could post a pic of that little 'installation' do you?

Since I am swedish, and we are about handing those Nobel prizes out, right now, I guess I could suggest a 'Boater's  Nobel Prize' for you...   ;) ;D ;) ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on October 15, 2007, 11:01:30 PM

It's like if you're out in the woods and you and your friend run into a hungry grizzly bear, you don't have to out run the bear, you just have to out run your friend. :D

;D ;D ;D ;D That's some food for thought upon the choise of friends, erh?   8) :P
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Lynx

maxiSwede -  a noodle is a water toy. It is a long round foam with a hole in the middle. Can be lots of fun.
MacGregor 26M

Fortis

Swede, think heavy-duty pipe laggin insulation made of semi-rigid close cell foam.

You would use them quite a bit on water pipes running outdoors where you are.

AdriftAtSea

Alex-

I don't see why that wouldn't work as well as a pool noodle.  The only issue I see is the pipe insulation is usually split all the way up the side... so you'd need to tape it closed, so the PVC core couldn't work free by accident.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

sharkbait

Hi all , been reading here for awhile , this is my first time posting.
I just sold my Cal 29 with an inboard and bought an Ericson 27 w/ O/B.
The question I have is can I use the 8 hp honda longshaft O/B on an inflatable dink for
next winters Mexico trip? I don't want to waste money and space on a dedicated dink motor
unless I absolutely have to.
No wife, no kids, no debt.

Gus

Welcome! I'm sure someone will answer your question in no time (bunch of great skippers in here) One thing I know is that I don't want to remove my 9.9 outboard (87 something pounds) from the boat once I'm in the water.

Gus
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

s/v Faith

sharkbait,

Welcome to the board!

I think you will be able to use the outboard, most 'long shaft' motors have a 25" shaft,  which will cause your transom to flex under a bit more then it might with a short (typically 15") shaft.  I have a 20" shaft yamaha 6hp in my well, I mounted it on an avon R-280 inflatable I had for a while and found it flexed the transom a bit.

I do not use the Yamaha for my dingy, as it is a chore to remove and replace.  I prefer a smaller (I have 3hp Johnson, and Yamaha outboards) for the dink.  They are quite a bit lighter then my 66# Yamaha and it is a 2 stroke. 

If your Honda 8 is a 4 stroke it is likely to weigh quite a bit more.... might be a real handful to lift on and off the boat.

Glad to have you aboard, look forward to hearing more about your boat and travels. ;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

I used my Johnson 8 HP long shaft on the dink last year.  I never got above just a crack over idle cuz I did not want to torque the transom.  But, it worked; for me, it's not a long term solution, though.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lynx

I really depends on the dink and your strength. What can your transum handle? Do you have another way to move the motor off the boat and onto your dink than by hand? Have you tried it at the slip/Dock?

I have a 2 hp Honda, 28 pounds. I can move it with one hand while the other is doing something else. I see a lot of these around here. Pushes my hard dinghy at 5 mph without a problem.

As a reminder. Always tie off your motor before moving it.
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

While you could use it on the dinghy, I wouldn't recommend using a long-shaft OB on a dinghy.  The prop will be much lower in the water than it should be, and will exert more torque on the transom, since it isn't right below the transom as it should be. Depending on the type of dinghy and the construction, it might be okay short term, but definitely not an ideal situation.  Also, the long shaft will increase the effective draft of the dinghy, making approaches to beaches and such more difficult.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

sharkbait

I haven't bought a new dinghy yet.The old one was sold with the Cal.
I just saw an 8' RIB on craigslist for $600
No wife, no kids, no debt.

Captain Smollett

If you are in the market for a new dink, I'll mention Saturn (do a google search for Saturn inflatable).  Very well made boats - they were designed for and used by the ROK military; we bought one last year.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Just be aware, all the Saturn inflatables I've seen are PVC, and I don't believe they're made in hypalon.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

Yes, that's right.  But  there is little problem, imo, with PVC for a boat that spends MOST of its life stowed in a bag out of the sun. 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

AdriftAtSea

Very true, but that isn't necessarily how the OP plans on using it. :) 

If he's planning on leaving the boat inflated and stored on deck, or towing it, he may want to get a hypalon dinghy instead of a PVC one.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

WF

*I apologize in advance if I missed a pertinent thread in my search concerning this subject*

I'm beginning to deal with the 'dinghy problem' for my Yankee 30.  I'll be cruising fairly extensively and really want a hard dinghy, specifically a 7' Fatty Knees with sail kit.  An inflatable would obviously be easier to stow, but I don't want to lug around an outboard and gasoline.  My obvious problem is stowing the hard dinghy, the Y30 has a baby stay that keeps stowage on the foredeck difficult, so it'll probably have to go on the coach roof under the boom. 

So...
If anyone has some thoughts on this or pictures of your hard dinghy stowed on your boat I'd be very appreciative.  I'm trying to find a 7' Fatty Knees to borrow from someone to try it on my deck before I spend all that cash.  If anyone has one in Seattle I'd love to borrow it for a very short time just to check it out.  BTW I'm at Shilshole.

Thanks.
Yankee 30 #73 w/ a burning desire to sail
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea." -Alain Gerbault

Delezynski

Think PortaBoat. Here is a photo of ours folded. On the stbd. side deck.
http://www.svguenevere.com/photos/jeronimo.jpg

That's how we carry an 8 foot dink on a 27 foot boat.

Here is a shot with it setup next to us, ready to go snorkeling.
http://www.svguenevere.com/photos/guenlobos.jpg

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com