Show me your little Dinghy / Tender / what have you....

Started by Zen, December 30, 2005, 12:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

Especially sailing canoes! Rather a few of them up in the Adirondacks, too... (Canoe Sailing Magazine, for examples...)

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Antioch

This is Fletcher tied up at the dinghy dock in Portland. She is 8.5' and is powered by an old Evinrude 4 h.p. outboard. She is the most stable dinghy I've ever had.. i'm sold on Zodiac forever.

P   O    R    T    L    A   N    D    -    M    A    I    N    E

CharlieJ

One word of caution. I don't know about other states, but get some registration numbers showing on that dinghy before you get into Maryland waters. They are ( or used to be) sticklers for that. And it doesn't matter to them if the big boat is registered elsewhere- no numbers and you'll be pulling the motor off. Or paying Maryland a fee.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Antioch

it's on the bench.. clearly visible from any patrol boat. That should work, right? I thought about using  sharpie on the side of it.. what about that?

CharlieJ

I recall when we were in Annapolis- I had numbers painted on the sides of the Achilles. Had a spray cover up front that partially hid those numbers from a distance- the Maryland patrol made me remove the spray cover so the numbers were visible FROM THEIR BOAT.

I imagine as long as it's there they won't hassle too badly, but they did INSIST on seeing numbers, not just the sticker.

Our tri was documented and the dinghy was registered in Florida.

Just wanted you to be aware.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Antioch

Thanks.. Maine's got the same rules in fact as Maryland, it would seem.  People in Maine suggested that I do what I did. The reg number is on there too,that was probably the first day I had it in the water.  If you watch this video to the point where I swivel the camera.. you'll see how clearly the letters are. I love trimarans,btw.

Robin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpHsdx9ES80

Antioch

Rick Westlake

I knew my MacGregor 26X doesn't have room for any but the smallest dinghy.  I have very little experience with rowing, so I didn't like the notion of a rowboat ... I couldn't see myself needing a motor ... what I probably needed was an inflatable kayak.

What I got is something different - a Saturn "KaBoat," halfway between a Zodiac-style and that inflatable kayak.  (The attached picture is from the BoatsToGo.com web site.)

It's longer than a same-weight Zodiac, but wider than a proper kayak, and the seats are atop the tubes - so I found it awkward to use the kayak paddles.  But I did find that I could row it quite well; and remarkably, it works best for me to row it sitting on the aft thwart and facing forward.

Haven't tried it except once, in the very calmest of waters (the C&O Canal, up from Washington, DC).  But it seems to do a pretty good job.

Polunu

Well after a lot of thought, and a ton of scribbles on the pages. I have fallen back on my skills as a builder and am going to build the replacement dink, a Bolger skimmer. But of course i can't help but make a few changes to the design to make it fit my use better. Instead of 8'x4' size i am scaling it down by 1/8 to: 7'x3'-6" and build it from construction foam sheets and glass instead of plywood.
That way it will fit perfectly on the fore deck, and i can lift it out of the water with one hand.
;D

The world may not be fair, but life is what you make of it. ;D

CharlieJ

The boat will probably wind up being heavier built from foam than from Okume plywood and glass.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: Polunu on May 28, 2009, 01:26:07 PM
.... i am scaling it down by 1/8 to: 7'x3'-6" and build it from construction foam sheets and glass instead of plywood.
That way it will fit perfectly on the fore deck, and i can lift it out of the water with one hand.
;D

Wow, what a great project.  I sure hope it comes out well, and that you take lots of pictures in progress.  I really look forward to seeing the result!  I hope it tuns out as well as you hope (and it will not be too hard to copy.  ;) ;)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Luv2Row

Back once again to say "thank you" for all the great dinghy ideas to use for rowing purposes. The Universe has responded, and the exact canoe I have had my eye on for the past couple of months (and was just getting ready to order after having returned from vacation) just came up for sale from a family in Kansas! The owner likes this canoe (Old Town Osprey 14' canoe that can also be used for rowing) but doesn't have the time to use it.

If this deal goes through, I shall be doing cartwheels through the neighborhood. And if the boat arrives unscathed in one piece, anticipated date to meet the lake is anytime on July 2nd or after.

I just checked the Walker Bay forum where I had posted a request for information back in April. Lots of folks looking but no responses whatsoever.  >:(

~ Suzie B. ~

Quote from: Oldrig on April 27, 2009, 04:41:50 PM
Hi again Suzie,

I'm glad you found that Old Town canoe--maybe you can get it as a graduation gift when you become a librarian.

The Adirondack Guide Boat (and there are several similar designs out there) is also a wonderful rowing boat, I'm told. I've seen the boats on the hard--at the Maine Boatbuilders Show, but I've never seen one on the water.

Be sure to give sailing a try, too.

Best,

--Joe

s/v Faith

I have just purchased yet another dingy. I have owned something like 6 in the last 5 years or so... I currently have 3. :roll:

The one I purchased is a slightly lighter, slightly deeper version of a Walker Bay, but it is foam filled. It is not a SandPiper 8, (I owned one of those) but a nicer model that can be pretty much moved by one person easily. I bought it to use when we wanted to take the dog out to anchor out and did not want to hassle with our Avon.

I figured it out... it is a Watertender 9 (here is a little tiny picture, it is different from the other 'water tender' dinghies as it has a pointy bow.

Anyway, here is the question. I got a signed bill of sale from the seller, but the boat has a HIN on the transom.... and it is not on the bill of sale. I did not think about it at the time, but wonder if there is a way to check to make sure there is not a registration in the system already for this HIN?

Anyone  Know of any way to check... specifically of a way to check Florida registrations???

Thanks,

Some more pictures, of a similar dingy (mine thankfully lacks the glued in carpet floor).

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

geneWj

For long distance cruising and for carrying a fair amount of supplies,fuel,groceries,etc, and for landing on a beach through the surf.  I chose a nester dinghy that was 14'6" with a tight stern but would carry a 8hp outboard. The boat (named bambino) nests into 7'6" and I can carry it in the davits or on deck.  Have gone through the surf onto at least 15 beaches in Mexico through  the surf.  will carry 4 adults, 4- 5 gallon diesel cans and groceries.
If I knew how to post a picture of it here I would.  so far my picture attempts have met with failure.
geneWj
Keep Learning!!

Tim

Just finished a little sailing/rowing pram that I may or may not use as a tender.

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

newt

When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Tim

LOA 7'8",    Beam under 5',   Weight?(don't have a scale maybe 75#)

Lotsa freeboard as you can see by this pic

I figure in rowing mode it can take 3 adults
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Chattcatdaddy

I have trying to find a dinghy for my Ariel. Man its a female dog trying to find good dinghy for a sailfar typr boat. I prefer a hard dinghy, but storage/towing becomes an issure esp. if  going offshore or making a passage. So I came across this site http://www.boatstogo.com/kayaks_sk396.asp with inflatable kayaks and Kaboats hybrid type vessel. Prices are reasonable and I have searched around for reviews and they seem reputable and owners seem to be happy.

Constructed from PVC and protection from UV will need to be addressed, but that does not concern me all that much.

The Kaboat is on back order and I sent an inquiry to see what the wait will be.

Anyone have any direct experince with these boats?
Keith
International Man of Leisure

CharlieJ

here's the one I've been using. 7'6" wooden floor Achilles.

Been towed some 7000 miles now :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera