News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Storm Tactics Handbook

Started by Captain Smollett, January 22, 2007, 11:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I just finished reading Lin and Larry Pardey's Storm Tactics Handbook.  Great book, and imo a must-read for the small boater planning to go offshore.  I really liked the way so many real-world examples were used to define a thesis - and these were not just 'here's what happened' but with pretty good analysis as well.

But Larry in a speedo?

I wasn't ready for that....
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

IIRC, the book, while fairly good, doesn't cover some more updated tactics, like using a Jordan Series Drogue.  IMHO, the most important piece of storm safety gear a small boat sailor can carry is a Jordan Series Drogue, which was developed as a result of the 1979 Fastnet Race.

You can read more about it at http://jordanseriesdrogue.com
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on January 23, 2007, 08:56:15 AM
It's hard to argue with real-world data.

You can say that again.....

I have the 'Storm Tactics' DVD.  I thought it was well done, and informative..... and amazingly it manages to convey much of the same info without including Larry in a speedo.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Split off the discussion not related to the book into it's own thread Small Boat Storm Tactics.

s/v Faith

To buy Storm Tactics Handbook: Modern Methods of Heaving-To for Survival in Extreme Conditions

Click here.