Post your recipes!

Started by CapnK, January 31, 2007, 01:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Charlie Jones had this idea - a place *just* for recipes, and, I imagine, some discussion thereof...

So give your favorites a post of their own, tell us what we need and how to make them, and add in any other information that us small galley goumet's might need to know. :)

Thanks, CJ!

My suggestion for how to post 'em would be -

Put each recipe in it's own post, using the name of the recipe as the title for that post.

That should make it easy down the road for folks to search for specific recipes. Sound good? Any suggestions welcome! :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

thistlecap

On a 25-foot or smaller boat, everything is pretty much one-pot cooking.  I've been looking for good receipes and trying them at home first.  Here's one that turned out great. GOOOOOD!  To start, any good sea cook will echo the instruction I saw in a boating cookbook a few decades ago.  The introduction said something like this.  "Rather than having to repeat this with every receipe, I'll make a blanket statement that carries throughout the book.  When cooking on board, you take one medium to large onion, and then decide what you're going to make."  Packed with minerals that may be missing from canned foods, they store well and add zing to what may be an otherwise bland dish.

Corn & Clam Chowder
1 chopped onion
2 tbspn. all-purpose flower (a bit more if you want it creamier)
2 cups milk (long-life or powdered milk)
1 16-oz can mixed vegetables
1 can creamed corn
2- 7 1/2 oz. cans minced clams
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper (I use 1/2 tsp., liking it spicier)
If an extra guest is suddenly expected, a couple diced potatoes stretches it nicely.

In olive oil, cook onion til tender but not brown.  Add milk all at once and stir in flour.  Cook & stir til thickened. Stir in mixed vegs. and undrained clams, cream corn, salf & pepper.  Heat through.  Serves 4-6. 
With no refrigeration, if it will serve both lunch and dinner, bring it back to just start of a boil mid-afternoon.  Come dinner, it will taste even better.

skylark

Rice and veggies

This recipe uses dehydrated vegetables.  It could start out with an onion simmered in oil.

2 Tbs green beans
1 Tbs leeks
1 Tbs celery
1 Tbs carrots
Soak in 1-3/4 cup water for 15 minutes.

After soak, boil, simmering for 5 minutes.

Add:
1 tsp oil
1 tsp bullion
1/2 tsp soy sauce
4 Tbs textured vegetable protein
7 Tbs instant brown rice
Bring to boil, simmer 8 minutes.
Note: if using instant white rice, simmer vegetables for 10 minutes and rice mixture for 3 minutes.

You could add a can of tuna to this.

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

bladedancer

The other day I found a jar of Kimche, that I had made before we had left.  It was still good after 2 months.  Indeed it may even have improved from ?aging?.  It reminded me that I had wanted to share our ideas and experiences about SBLD food and ?going fridge-less?.

The first thing to say is that eating well and good food is important on Louise Michel.  ?Good? means meals made mostly from scratch, using simple, wholesome ingredients, organic where possible, with plenty of fruit and vegetables.  Our diet is a mix of Mediterranean, South and East Asian dishes.
This means lots of grains, some beans and plenty of vegetables.  It's not really vegetarian because we do eat meat, fish and dairy; but only in small quantities.

Beans and rice, it sounds ascetic even boring, but there's more to beans then pintos and kidneys, or pork & beans in a can.  Black beans for example with carrots and other vegetables, make a wonderful soup.  Garbanzos [Chick peas] can be used for Couscous [a spicy Moroccan dish], curry and all kinds of other stews.  Soaked, dried beans cook in a pressure cooker in a few minutes.  We have an old Miromatic I got on Ebay.  We do keep a few cans of beans for a quick meal.

Other beans for example mung, aduki and lentil can also be sprouted.  Sprouts are simple to do and very nutritious, and best of all don't need cooking, a blessing on a hot day.  We also sprout a mix of alfalfa, radish and clover seeds which provide us with fresh greens.

Similarly, grains are more than brown rice and oatmeal.  There are dozens of kinds of rice.  We eat basmati and jasmine but there are many others.  We also eat buckwheat (my favorite), quinoa, bulgar and couscous.  The latter cook as fast as ramen noodles.  For breakfast we eat a porridge made of thick-cut rolled oats, barley, rye and spelt, and dried fruits.  For a cold cereal we have muesli or granola.

Other dried foods we carry include herbs and spices, fruit [apples, raisins, dates, prunes, pears, bananas], seaweed and vegetables [mushrooms, onions, kale, mashed potatoes].  The kale and herbs we grew in our plot at a community garden: the fruit we either foraged or dumpster dived.  We dried them in a food dryer before we left.  I wish I could say we dried them on the boat.
In the book ?Sailing the Farm? the author talks about a solar food dryer but it was not clear to me whether he had actually made and used one on a boat.  It's on my list of projects along with a solar oven.  For now we make bread in the pressure cooker following Skylark's recipe.

For now we are coastal cruising which makes possible fairly regular access to grocery stores, although anymore this means a very long walk, or if you are lucky a long bus ride.  We stock on onions, potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables [beets, turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes], cabbage, ginger and garlic.  We store these loose in a wicker basket in a cool location.  We keep eggs, hard cheese, salami, olives in brine under the floorboards...with the kimche.

Kimche is easy to make and doesn't need refrigeration.  There are recipes on the internet.  I use green and red cabbage, ginger, thinly sliced root vegetables and some hot spices.

Fermented and dried foods are easy to store and make not having a fridge not a problem and IMHO, provide a much healthier diet than the standard western one.

In the spirit of full disclosure I should admit we drink wine not beer and don't mind non-dairy creamer in our coffee.  Ultra-pasteurized half and half keeps for days in the bilge........

Phantom Jim

Anyone want to start this back up....There are a ton of good recipes out there that need to be shared.  if there is interest I will start posting our favorites.
Phantom Jim

Norman

Bladedancer had the onions right, they are a favorite for me too.  Nothing like some onions cooking to whet the appetite.

My cooking is slow, as I use Sterno, so you will find that I don't brown much.

Cube a suitable size potato for the crew on board, put it in a greased/oiled pan or skillet to begin cooking, covered.

Slice or chop an onion half as big as the potato, and add it when the potato begins to soften, and salt and pepper.

Now, decide what the meal is going to be!

Toss in a can of crumbled corned beef.
or
Spread out and top with an egg for each person, I stir mine in, my son leaves his on top sunny side up, much slower to finish cooking
or
Drain and dump in any kind of canned tomatoes, from sauce to crushed or stewed.  Save the juice to cook pasta or rice in.
or
Cube precooked wieners, sausages, pepperoni, whatever you have, and add, serve as soon as they are hot.

There are a lot of other possibilities for that starter meal.

I often make a large portion at breakfast, split it and do the egg version, save the rest for lunch or supper with different additives.

Any kind of fruit, fresh or dried go well to balance out the nutrients, and act as a desert too.

Norman

Phantom Jim

Sounds like a tasty meal from a minimalist galley. 

We will save some vegetables and meat from an evening meal and prepare it with beaten eggs to make an omelet/fritatta the next morning.  To melt cheese on top, put a lid or plate over the pan.  Almost anything will work, beans, peas, pasta...pretty much anything. 

I am trying to attach a recipe.  If this does not work, I will find another way to get it out.
Phantom Jim

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Little labor intensive but can be cooked in a single pan
Quesadillas
10" skillet, heat dry for 2 minutes
Add 1/3 can corn, cook till it begins to pop, move corn into bowl.
2 tsp oil, add 1/2 red onion, 1 clove garlic minced & little bit chili powder, cook till onions soften. Put corn back in, add 1/3 can black beans (mash a bit), little lime juice, salt & pepper, a few minutes later put back in bowl.

Clean pan, reheat, brush one side 8" tortilla with oil toss in pan till it puffs, flip over, put filling from bowl on 1/2 the tortilla, add jalapinos, jack cheese,  fold over, brush with oil, sprinkle with salt. Cook 1-2 minutes, remove from pan, let in cool for couple of minutes while you  make a margarita.  Cut into 3 pies, enjoy.

Adjust recipe, this makes 8-10 before being cut into pie shape.
In case you haven't figured it out,  I like to eat :)

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

CapnK

My "GoTo" recipe is more or less as follows:

1 - Look at stores, make decision on what to use as a 'base' or 'core' or 'main' ingredient.
2 - Look for something to add to that, which should (hopefully) taste good when doing so.
3 - (thru say, 5, or 6...)Repeat Step 2.
"7" - Cook it all.
8 - Eat, and experience gastronomic bliss - or otherwise.
9 - If 'bliss' achieved, add "recipe" to 'mental cookbook' of "Things Which Taste Good When Cooked Together".
10 - If 'otherwise', well, then Crewdog Barque gets "peoplefood" for the night.

For example, night before last, the girl was onboard, and I needed to feed her.
Core ingredient was a pack of teriyaki chicken flavored noodles, yielding 2x 3/4 cup servings when done.
Added canned chicken bits - to be put in after cooking, as they were pre-cooked.
Added package of Oriental Chicken flavored Ramen (circa 2002), as I felt 3/4 cup serving from teriyaki package wouldn't be enough food.
On/during cooking, noticed I had put too much water in pan.
Solution: add 1/2 handful broken-up spaghetti noodles. Solution worked.
Once noodles were all cooked properly (All Dently, that is), pan pulled from stove, chicken bits added to noodle mixture, stirred in to warm appropriately after a few minutes rest.
Served with ground Parmesan/Romano which, after testing, was found to be a good addition to basic recipe.

Gastronomic bliss ensued, recipe considered a Success.

Bonus: due to the eyeball measuring and subsequent overwatering of the noodles in preparation, Barque got to eat some peoplefood in addition to his Just6 kibble.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Phantom Jim

The attached recipe we have made at anchor many times on propane and alcohol ranges.  Where we did not have an oven, we put a lid on the skillet to melt the Parmesian cheese.  (We do not necessarily use Barcardi Rum, but I got the recipe from them and feel it appropriate to give them credit)

Hope you get to try it.
Phantom Jim