News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Boat stove discussion

Started by djn, January 15, 2006, 02:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Uh, I think I would rather hold onto the pot than have it swing that much or change ancorage or cook on the floor or eat non-cook items. I have had bow waves throw the boat so much that it knocked everything off tables. What would happen to that when one of those hits?
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

Given where the pivot point is... I think that the bucket gimbal stove mount would work rather well.  Also, since it is mounted along the long axis of the boat, I think that it wouldn't have much of a problem dealing with the occasional swell or wake.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

maxiSwede

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 28, 2007, 10:28:01 PM
Quote from: skylark on February 28, 2007, 09:54:05 PM

Here is my version of a homemade gimballed stove that worked very well:

;D  Very cool.  Grog to ya.

I agree!!! Great intellectual work  ;D  BTW, what´s your favourite recipe for teh Grog?   :-X
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

macdiver

Is that a galvanized bucket?  If so you may want to consider switching to a stainless or plain carbon steel one.  When heated galvanized steel will release a toxic zinc gas.  While you probably won't heat the bucket enough to release enough gas to kill you, it will make the food taste bad.

skylark

Quote from: Lynx on February 28, 2007, 11:31:36 PM
Uh, I think I would rather hold onto the pot than have it swing that much or change ancorage or cook on the floor or eat non-cook items. I have had bow waves throw the boat so much that it knocked everything off tables. What would happen to that when one of those hits?

I used it to cook on a Lake Michigan crossing with 6 to 8 foot waves with a lot of close hauled sailing in good sailing winds. It did not spill a bit despite the bashing.  It worked really well.

Point well taken on the galvanized pail.  It probably should be stainless.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Lynx

Skylark - Thanks, Strange setup. I would think that it would have been to high and allowing to much montion (no friction stops) that it would not do to well. I will have to look into makeing one on my boat.

Really do need someway to keep the pot on the stove without tending to it all the time.
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

Here is my version of a homemade gimballed stove that worked very well:

More grog.  Hope you are not driving.  ;D

Too cool that stove.   8)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Love the stove Jim. Laura says "those are GREAT stoves, just LOUD" ;D I still have the roarer burner from this one, but we converted to a regular Optimus.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

chris2998

where do you buy those little stoves from??
Thanks,
Chris

CharlieJ

The Seaswing part can be bought in lots of places, such as Defender Industries, but they'll use propane.

The one pictured in Jim's boat and the two I posted are kerosene stoves and are difficult to locate. The one in the SeaCook mounting is a true antique. Came from England and is pre WW II.

The heater he shows looks like a Force 10 or some variation. Also available from Defender.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

Those Primus/Optimus are Swedish makes and an invention of a countryman of mine in the late 1800's. Click on the link below if you want to know more...

OK, I am not saying this because the guy happended to be born in Sweden, but the interesting thing is that he invented something that was literally spread all over the world, and still hardly noone even in sweden even heard of him. That's a bit weird IMHO.

Anyway, I just love those stoves, and always did. On Röde Orm we have a British stove (Taylor)made of enamel and solid brass  ;D fitted with Primus burners and a 6 liter pressure tank to provide it with fuel. Simply a piece of art that fortunately came with the boat.

On my previous boats I have been using the Optimus boat stoves, simple and reliable.

If you guys have problem finding stoves or spare parts, just let me know; I could arrange something from here...'

And, yes : . No way I would ever keep a Propane stove on a boat...   ;) ;D ::)

s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Great Paul- I have that bookmarked. Still parts are not easy to find, for the non-roarer burners like our Optimus ones.

maxiSwede- I definitely want to get some small parts- I'll PM you, but basically I need a couple of new orfices and some adjusting needles ( whatever they are called), and a few washers here and there.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

chris2998

Thanks for the link I bookmarked it. I have heard of people useing alcohol stoves can this stove also be run on alcohol?? I know i have read how propane can't be bought in some parts of the world and well not sure how safe that would be to keep it onboard to, if this stove can't be run on alcohol can you all give me some other brands to check out?? Thanks

Chris

CharlieJ

Nope- can't be run on Alcohol. But then why would you want to do so? For long term use, alcohol is THE most expensive fuel you can use.

They run on kerosene, only we burn mineral spirits in ours. It's cleaner.

Kerosene stoves have a hotter flame, therefor take less time cooking things. Also, kerosene is available world wide- many third world people still light and cook with it.

Well- the stuff available in the US is kinda crummy, which is why we use mineral spirits :D Besides, it's cheaper.

Picture is the stove in use, while we were sailing hard. Laura likes her afternoon coffee ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

http://britelyt.groupee.net/Oldstove.htm
http://store.britelyt.com/servlet/-strse-Stove-parts/Categories
http://www.base-camp.co.uk/exploded%20views/Optimus/207%20burner.htm
http://www.hytta.de/index_f.htm?kocher/414.htm

When I converted my Princess pressure alcohol stove to kerosene by buying 2 kerosene burners, I found that the alcohol burners seemed to be the same, except for the nipple which apparently had a different oriface diameter.  So if you can find a spare alcohol pressure burner, it may be possible to convert it with a $5 part.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

chris2998

CharlieJ just tells you I don't have a clue LOL I was thinking the kerosene would be really smelly if you are cooking with it inside a boat but if mineral spirits burn cleaner then yeah why not. I was thinking of alcohol more for health reasons maybe it would burn cleaner. Thanks for the info and for 50 dollars for the other stove heck you cannot beat that at all that maybe the way to go can you get a stove that burns on kerosene that has like a two burner?? Thanks

Chris

CharlieJ

Yes, you can. Again, they are a bit difficult to come by these days, because most have gone to propane ( other than as few luddites like me and Skylark). But you'll have to search them out. I have a two burner sitting in my store room , reserved for a later boat should that happen. Our solution is to have two complete stoves, all set up to interchange in the swinging part. We don't have the room we wish to give up for a two burner aboard Tehani.

Some of the older kerosene stoves were works of art. Brass bound pot holder rails, brass tanks, etc. Beautiful. I'm really sad that the older companies have gone away.

I lived with a 3 burner Shipmate kero stove with oven for quite a few years in times past. Used it in our living "shack" while building the boat and then moved it aboard. Boat was a 35 foot tri so plenty of room. We never found any really objectionable odors, PROVIDED the stove was burning correctly. If something is wrong, sure, it can smell.

BUT- the smell of alcohol is one of the smells that can cause seasickness in some folks. I know two people who cannot stomach the odor of Alcohol. And it's a cooler heat, so takes longer, as I said before.

You pays your money and makes your choices- I pay for Kerosene stoves and lanterns. Our anchor lantern uses the same fuel. Been using kerosene since my first bigger boat, in 1973. I'll keep using it til I can't find parts anymore to keep the stoves going.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

chris2998

Thanks Charlie I'll have to check ebay for the stoves maybe I'll find it there. See I use to work at a shop and this guy had a kerosene heater that dang thing stunk so bad so that is what I was like kerosene that has got to be smelly. Thank you for clearing that up though. I do like the one stove that was posted that was multifuel $105 well kinda high but I guess I would pay that if it did the job. I don't like this fixer for sure I'd have to weld something else up. never tig welded Brass before but it can be done and I got some ideas
Thanks
Chris