News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Ariel Spirit

Started by Ariel Spirit, February 24, 2007, 09:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ariel Spirit

Hello all...Im Britt, and i own a pearson ariel and live aboard it/my parents boat, a 40 foot motoryacht (what can i say it's a house divided). Most of my sailing has been onshore in the New River of coastal north carolina, but every once in a while i make it out into blue water.  It's been a great experience owning this vessel, and all of the the time spent on others as well.  I've just picked up this boating thing about 5 years ago, and it is captivating, i find myself now planning my life around it...

So...i strongly encourage anyone "under age" to get involved and learn more about all this nautical stuff...because it really is a great way of life...and please post stuff on here and in the other forums and just talk about yourself n your boating experiences/goals/questions... ;D ;D ;D ;D

.....that is a really cool face!

Captain Smollett

Welcome aboard SailFar, Britt. 

While I can only claim to be a cruising kid "at heart," I have tried off-and-on over the past few years to get some younger folks involved in sailing.  Mostly I am met with "this is boring" or "it's too slow."  Unfortunately, summers here (when school is out and people act like they have some spare time) are mostly windless and very hot.

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective on how we might be more successful in getting middle and high school folks interested.

BTW, very cool boat, that Ariel....   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Welcome Britt. 

The Ariel's a good choice...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Ariel Spirit

Thanks for the warm welcome guys...and as far as getting younger people involved in sailing, i can't believe you dont have more interest, i generally have to remind my friends of the vessel's maximum capacity...but, i think a big thing that alot of the big guy sailors around this marina do is take things a little too serious, and sometimes get a little over bearing, and to me it's all about chillin out and enjoying the time spent, not seeing how i can shave a couple of seconds off.  Not saying that you do the same but this may be an issue, also when ever i have friends aboard who are first timers i generally sail for an hour or so and then drop the hook, chill, and swim.  Of course this is season appropriate, but if there isnt much wind around you in the summer, this may be a good recourse. 
And there is one other thing that occasionally helps with the "slow and boring" thing...alot of time i purposely set myself up so that most of my points of sail are close hauled aft to the beam, but i try to avoid running or reaching, as it gives the indication that the boat has slowed.  Of course this is false, but none the less to novice sailors, being close hauled is a much more exciting point of sail, and to me it feels like i'm flying...hope this helps.. ;D

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Ariel Spirit on February 28, 2007, 07:58:33 PM
i generally sail for an hour or so and then drop the hook, chill, and swim. 

Good idea.  If it helps define most middle and high schoolers I've taken sailing, they would rather be towed behind a fast boat while lounging on a giant inner tube.   ::) ::)  I guess sailing makes as much sense to them as that does to me.   ;D

And there is one other thing that occasionally helps with the "slow and boring" thing...alot of time i purposely set myself up so that most of my points of sail are close hauled aft to the beam, but i try to avoid running or reaching, as it gives the indication that the boat has slowed.  Of course this is false, but none the less to novice sailors, being close hauled is a much more exciting point of sail, and to me it feels like i'm flying...hope this helps..

That's a good point, too.

FWIW, I do try to get them (and any guests I have aboard) to participate in sailing the boat as much or as little as they like.  To me, the issue is not so much once we get on the water, but getting them to WANT TO GO.  Their only experience with sail boats are those slow things they fly by at 30 mph on powerboats, and as such, they tend to resist taking the first step.

Fair Winds and thanks much for the input!   :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

The teenaged kids I've had on as crew last summer were more than happy to be on a sailboat... Most of the time we were out in 20 knots of wind and doing about 10 knots without even trying.  Even on the days the wind was relatively light (<10 knots) we'd still be doing 5-7 knots most of the time. 

One of them has asked his parents if they would get a sailboat...  and said, "When I get older, I need to get a car and a sailboat... maybe I don't need the car," after his first day out sailing.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Cmdr Pete

Britt said:

Quotebut, i think a big thing that alot of the big guy sailors around this marina do is take things a little too serious, and sometimes get a little over bearing, and to me it's all about chillin out and enjoying the time spent

Aint that the truth

Grog for 'ya

But go easy on that stuff.

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Ariel Spirit

IT's funny you should make the car comment, because my dad and i have had that same conversation and i made the decision to spend my money on the boat rather than a car, so now im driving my dad's old truck, it runs, when i have to be on land, but the rest of the time it just gives me an excuse to be on the water...i dont have a car, but i have a boat, so ill go sailing...my friends think im dumb, nuts, weird, whatever...i like it.:D 

And FYI this is the cruisin kids spot, there's none of that alcohol stuff around here, what is that;) i mean jeeezzz that stuff is bad for you yah know ;D

s/v Faith

Do you ever check in here Brit?

Would love to hear how Spirit is doing in St. Pete.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Just a quick post before I drift off to sleep....

.... Aboard Ariel Spirit again.  :)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

How's that water tank holding up? :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)