Animals on board Or Where Does Your Dog Dooooo?

Started by oded kishony, January 01, 2006, 01:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oded kishony

Greetings,

Isn't this board great???

We've been mostly day sailing out of Urbanna, VA but we plan to start cruising for 3-5 days at a time next summer. We bring our beloved cockapoo (cocker spaniel/poodle mix)  Koko with us, she seems to enjoy being on the boat. But we are limited because we have to walk her. Anyone have tips on how best to train a dog  so we don't have to walk her on land? What are some other issues with cruising with a dog?

Thanks,
oded kishony
Paceship PY26
Urbanna, VA

Jack Tar

Yes get one of those door mats made of hemp. Attach a line to it, let the dog use it. It will be hard at first for the dog to get the idea but once the scent is on it the dog will use it evey time. Need to clean it. Throw the mat over the side and trail it in the water. Oh and I know you will pick the poo up off of it first and dispose of it in the ships head right.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

oded kishony

Thanks  Jack! I'll give it a try.

ok

s/v Faith

Good luck.  Peter dog has gone as long as 22 hours before I gave in and made an emergency shore call.

+ Karma for the dog lover.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

I've been unable to train the CrewDogs to poo onboard, although a couple of times I have found "presents" :o on the foredeck... They never get scolded for it, though.

I've read about the poo-mat trick, using a piece of astro-turf. I think there is a product which one can spray onto the area where you want the dog to poo, it encourages them somehow to use that spot. Maybe it's just poo-water in a spray bottle. :) Hmm, yuk.  ::)

Earlier this year, I tried to wait the CrewDogs out, to wait until they *did* go either onboard or on my own finger pier, so that they would know it was OK to do so. After almost 36 hours, I just gave up and took them up to land. They wouldn't do it, although Buffett shows no reluctance to pooping almost anywhere else on the docks, usually when it is cold and rainy, and in a spot far from the nearest hose. Go figure. :) ( I never leave poo on the dock.)

I think that, when we are away from the dock, they just enjoy the dinghy rides over to the beach too much to give them up. :) We usually do a little "Ball" at that point in time, too, for exercise.

To encourage them to use shoreside time for poo business when we are away from the dock, I feed them about an hour before taking them ashore.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

starcrest

some years back (however this may be a current event) I was living  (sneakin aboard) at a marina that had a large population of .... well.... lets just say south east asian peoples.and we were wondering why  cats and dogs were dissapearing without explaination.....and then ya jusgotta wonder ......why izzit when ya go out for chinese food and the like....why do they have menus written in those oriental languages.....juswhat izzit they are survinup??????"yes please....I will have the Rover Chop Suey with a side order of the Fluffy eggroll
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Kailyst

Quote from: starcrest on January 07, 2006, 10:12:10 PM
some years back (however this may be a current event) I was living  (sneakin aboard) at a marina that had a large population of .... well.... lets just say south east asian peoples.and we were wondering why  cats and dogs were dissapearing without explaination.....and then ya jusgotta wonder ......why izzit when ya go out for chinese food and the like....why do they have menus written in those oriental languages.....juswhat izzit they are survinup??????"yes please....I will have the Rover Chop Suey with a side order of the Fluffy eggroll

There used to be a web site (until there were complaints) that had a song done to 'Cats In the Cradle' and went something like this:

There's a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon,
Kittens and puppies are on my spoon...

Sorry can't remember the rest, but it sure was funny at the time!

Also, down in the Outer Banks tthere's a strip mall with a Chinese Restaurant that is RIGHT NEXT DOOR tot he Animal Hospital. NO LIE!! I have pictures to prove it!! Never ate at THAT particular restaurant.

Just FYI - I have THREE cats - none on board.....yet.
We're all here because we're not all there.

Zen

Guys, really Come On ...
Is there really any difference (other than in the mind ) between eating, cows, pigs, sheep, lambs, deer, rabbit, and eating, cats & dogs?

It is ALL perspective. They are all dead animals.  :-[

Ok, I will not say anything else... I just had to get my veggie 2 cents in there. It was wide open.   :)
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

mariner3302

Talk about a thread hi-jack!
I have been married to 2 orientals and known a whooole bunch... never ate or known anyone to eat cats or dogs. An occasional monkey is good though.

I have heard the mat trick works to get the dogs going and not have to deliver them ashore.
s/v Wandering Star
1987 Tartan 34-2

s/v Faith

Quote from: Zen on January 11, 2006, 03:49:48 PM
Guys, really Come On ...
Is there really any difference (other than in the mind ) between eating, cows, pigs, sheep, lambs, deer, rabbit, and eating, cats & dogs?

It is ALL perspective. They are all dead animals.  :-[

Ok, I will not say anything else... I just had to get my veggie 2 cents in there. It was wide open.   :)

No different then eating humans I guess.  :o

(I have known some people I would sooner eat then my Master at Arms)

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Zen

starcrest

I have to admit it.when Annie was living onboard with me in lake okechobee.....a young girl of about 10 years old found a litter of kittens   a mere 2-3 days old ...Annie asked if we could get one...I said no...we can get 2.....we raised them up and they were great to have on board.Unfortunately about a year later Annie had an acute flare up of her Schizo-affective disorder.I had to take her to a crisis center ,,,,from there she went to her parents house...the cats were donated to an organization that does pet therapy for end stage cancer patients.and now theres another woman named Laura.....shes been calling me lately....she needs a place to stay...she claims to like camping out.....as long as she remembers who shes living with......(theres lotsa guys here who would love to have her stay here too...) we will probably get a kitten
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

nemona

Zen, thank you for speaking up. I am of that same opinion.

oded kishony

This is our 'salty dog' Koko the cockapoo (poodle coker mix) when she was a puppy.

Oded

Zen

:)

another cute one. maybe we need a pet gallery as well  ;)

Pixie Dust

Thats a good idea Zen!   How about it Capt K?  A pet Gallery?  ;)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

CapnK

Someone could start a thread for just pet pics, or just use this one. Either is fine with me :)

My ex is Vietnamese, and I never saw anyone in her family even looking "that way" at my dogs. That said, some of the foods they ate - there was no telling what was in there! ;D

Zen and nemona - do we have a vegetarians thread? I'd be interested in seeing some veggie recipes and/or veggie related livinaboard tips...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

nemona

Thanks for inquiring about a veg thread. It is a good idea and since many small boats don't have full blown refrig systems veg meals are very useful.

I'm going to think about what ideas I would want to convey and start a thread. At least I hope Zen will read it ;D

Even just cutting down on meat makes cooking and storage alot easier on board. BTW whenever I have done veg dishes for potluck they are well received.

My partner in crime on board is not veg but while onboard definately cuts back meat consumption.

Zen

saildawg

This is Winston, a 7 month old 65lb Great Pyrenees pup on his first cruise.  A rescue dog.  Not sure if I want to train him to poop aboard or not.  It could be a reason to practice speedily abandoning ship! 

I would like some suggestions for getting him on and off the boat considering that he will grow to 100lbs plus.  I'm not really looking forward to those 3am dinghy rides to the beach. 

My boat is a 1975 Clombia 26T. 

Thanks, Andy