News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Anchor chain

Started by Mr. Fixit, March 09, 2008, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

My previous sail boat was a Catalina 22, and I used 3 strand 1/2 " nylon for the anchor rode. I reall did not spend a lot of time at anchor with it, now I am getting ready to leave on extended cruise, and because I do not want to worry about chafe,I think it would be wise to use anchor chain. I expect to spend most of my time on the hook. My boat weighs 10,600 probably another 2,500 cruise ready. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what size chain I should use??. I was considering transport chain 1/4" however to galvanize it would be expensive, also they wanted me to buy a complete drum. Transport chain is lighter and stronger than G40, however the cost is not worth it to me. You sailors with experience --can I get away with 1/4 or should I go with 5/16 (G40). Primary anchor is oversized 45#delta

Lynx

Where are you planning to cruise?

In places with a lot of coral, all chain is best.

With 5/16th you can get a pail or 1/2 barrel. It might be be better to get it local as shipping cost is great as well as unloading it from the truck. Make sure that the Galvanize is good or else it will be or no good. I bought cheep 1/4 and the Galvanize did not last 2 weeks. $ 100 gone.

MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

I'd vote for the 5/16, G4. That's what I had on my trimaran - 35 foot ketch, probably 10K loaded disp. I also used 5/16 nylon as my rode behind the chain. You don't want the nylon to be TOO heavy as you'll lose the stretchiness of it.

I use 1/4 G4 on Tehani.

If you'll mostly be on the East coast or in the Bahamas, 100 feet of chain should do nicely . In most places you'd be anchoring with all chain with that amount.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lynx

Right now there is a lot of boats in the harbors and I have seen boats run over rodes. Yes, run over rodes. I do recommend all chain if at all possible for primary scope enough for 10 feet of water. Keep 300 feet of rode for emergencies.
MacGregor 26M

psyche

I have 150 feet G4 5/16 with 250 feet 5/8 double braid as additional rode on my 8.7 Columbia with a 35 lb CQR and have 75 feet of the same G4 on the secondary Fortress anchor. I bought ACCO US made (but owned by Peerless now) and have been very pleased. I purchased it from a Shrimpboat supply in Darien 40 minutes from my house for $1.95 a foot. Dan

Mr. Fixit

That is really a good price Dan. I am having trouble locating G4 locally and will probably end up getting it at Defender. -If I order from chain supplier it is basically the same price as Defender if transportation is included. I am considering a trip to Defender next week,. they are having their annual wharehouse sale and I need a lot of small items to complete my rebuild project. (also some bigger ones as well). I am really looking forward to getting on the water, I have a boat mover sceduled for 3rd week in May. I should be ready. I will be completing some projects after I splash. I can get the boat to around 30 miles from my house, (on the NYS canal system) and I am sure my better half will be in the "delivery business". I will be using 200' 5/16 G4 and 5/8 3 strand--45lb Delta yea I know overkill. Danford secondary. I want to be able to sleep at night.

AdriftAtSea

I'd recommend G40 5/16" chain as well.  The primary rode on my boat is 75' of the stuff and 180' or so of 5/8" nylon.  This lets me anchor in 15' of water at 5-to-1 scope or 10' of water with 7-to-1 scope  with all chain.  Since I only draw 18" board up, this should be plenty.  You'll probably want more chain, since you have a deeper draft. 

BTW, I don't think the 45 lb. Delta is all that overkill.  I have a 33 lb.  Rocna as my primary and my boat only masses 4,000 lbs or so. I do have a bit more windage than you do, since my boat is 18' wide.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

polecat

Would this be schedule 40 ? Anyone know what this G4 would mean?

s/v necessity

G4 should denote it as being Grade 40 or "high test"  to some.  Roughly twice the strength of Grade 30 (G3)  I think most grade 40 chains have a WLL of around 3,900#  (for 5/16" chain)

Tim

Yes G4 isGrade 40. following stolen from WM

Chain Types
High Test: Grade 40, called G4 or HT; made from high'carbon steel. G4 is the preferred chain for anchoring or windlass applications, and has twice the working load of BBB chain, so you can use a smaller size with the same strength.

Proof Coil and BBB: Grade 30; made from low'carbon steel. BBB or "Triple B" has a uniform pitch short link, and works well on windlass gypsies. BBB used to be the most popular type for windlass designs of the past, but has been replaced by G4. Proof Coil does not have a uniform pitch and does not work with anchor windlasses.

Grade 70: called G7 or Transport Chain; extremely high strength'to'weight ratio, is substantially stronger than G4 High Test, and resists wear because of its exceptional hardness properties. Compatible with very few windlasses, but recommended by some noted cruising authorities.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

polecat

Thanks Tim & S/V Necessity - That's very good.  I bought 170' for a hundred bucks - without knowing anything but that it would fit the gypsy off the windlass which I took on vacation with us. 
jim