News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Eatable fish book/s

Started by ntica, February 26, 2012, 05:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntica

Looking for a book on eatable fishes from differnt oceans. Any tip, suggestions?
Atlantic, medeteranian, pacific, indianocean.

Saw a horrible program a while ago, a couple prepared a fish they caught. And they went sick as h...The day after, they found the spieces on the internet with warning signs of eating it. They survived but...And better "safe than sorry"

tomwatt

I have a copy of "The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing" by Scott & Wendy Bannerot that somewhat covers what you're asking for... since I'm still far inland, can't say that it's been helpful yet. It mentions fish species by groups, problems handling/cleaning and things to avoid. Ciguetera (sp?) can affect some species at some times of the year I think, which might be what the couple you saw on the program encountered.
But I'd be interested in knowing what others might recommend as well.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: tomwatt on February 26, 2012, 09:28:56 AM

I have a copy of "The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing" by Scott & Wendy Bannerot that somewhat covers what you're asking for... since I'm still far inland, can't say that it's been helpful yet. It mentions fish species by groups, problems handling/cleaning and things to avoid. Ciguetera (sp?) can affect some species at some times of the year I think, which might be what the couple you saw on the program encountered.
But I'd be interested in knowing what others might recommend as well.

This is the one I was going to mention.

Not only have they written this book, but they've also published many magazine articles on the topic...kind of the Lin and Larry of the fishing niche.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

ntica

Thank you... Ordered the book!

SoloBob

You guys need a commission  ;D

It's something that's been on my list for awhile, a book like that... so off I went and ordered it too.

JWalker

Eatable fish books?

Is that like a book made out of dried fish...that in an emergency you can eat? Like a survival thing?

What a great concept!

So you buy the book....read it....commit it to memory......then you can snack on it AND use it for bait!!!!

What flavors do they come it???

GENIUS!!!!!

;D

Michael Homsany

Another vote for Scott, but I'm prejudiced from having known him for years.

I can say that I dragged a variety of fish repellers off the stern for over 10k miles, I ran into Scott in Vava'u, Tonga (we had met in Am. Samoa), he dragged me into Paul Mead's tackle shop there, picked out what I needed, and we've been killing fish at will ever since!

First aid for ciguatura poisoning (for most adults) is 1 litre of 5% lactated ringers, administered intravenously as soon as it's diagnosed (or it will be ineffective).  Please understand that I'm not a physician, nor any other type of medical professional (or amateur), but, where there is no doctor...  Even if you are uncomfortable with the concept of self-treatment, the medical officers found on most of the small islands often lack basic medical supplys, so if you have it, they can administer it as well.

Please understand that I lost a friend to appendicitis because the local medical folks didn't have anti-biotics to keep the infection under control until a surgeon could be located.

I really do live in a different world! :)
About Bebi Electronics-Winners of the Democratic Government of Fiji's Annual Unique Exporter of the Year Award!
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/about.html

CharlieJ

Hi Michael- seeing your name reminds me- got to order a new Owl this week- be watching ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Michael Homsany

Thanks Charlie!  We recently (well, relatively), spent a whole chunk of cash on trying to get a small lathe here to turn a new light, so it's very appreciated.

The entire 'adventure' isn't finished yet (but getting closer!).  I should write a book on the drama's of getting a small lathe from China to rural Fiji via the US, but I have the comedy routine worked out pretty well for entertaining folks at the yacht club! :)

I did have a bit of luck when I was teaching 'the boys' how to use the lathe.  Getting employee's out here to wear safety gear is always an uphill battle, and you can get hurt pretty bad in an eyeblink if you screw up and do something silly running a lathe (I tie my beard into a tail, and then stick the 'pigtail' down my shirt). 

Well, I was watching and one of the guys was feeding the tool way too fast into the wood, and I said to myself 'I'm just going to keep my mouth shut here, and see what happens'.

What happened was that not only did the wood shattered (expected), but one of the pieces bounced right off the faceshield of my guy, right between where his eyes would have been without the shield. 

That's a lesson on "Why We Need To Wear Face Shields When Running a Lathe' that won't need to be repeated or be forgotten! :)

About Bebi Electronics-Winners of the Democratic Government of Fiji's Annual Unique Exporter of the Year Award!
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/about.html