Main Menu

Cruising without ice

Started by Zen, December 24, 2005, 01:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

WHAT!! Smart Balance has a spray!!!

I'm there!  :D

Heat up the popcorn maker

I have one of those AC/DC cool boxes. It works so so. Right now it is in my office doing shore duty.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

CapnK

Zen -

That they do. :)

On the bottle, it only says "Refrigeration Recommended", so it's not as scary or authorative as the usual "Refrigerate After Opening" on most condiment containers, like mayonnaise. ;D

My mayo, never refrigerated, is over a month old now. Maybe 6 weeks or so. I've been told I can expect 3 months or more. *Only* use a ***clean** utensil to dip more out, nothing that has any other potential food morsel on it, and it's supposed to last months and months without refrigeration.

I had Miracle Whip that had been kept cool, and had been dipped out of with a non-totally-clean utensil, keep for a bit over 5 weeks after I quit using "cool" aboard. It may still have been good, but smelt pretty vinegary, so I trashed it to go with "tried and true" real mayo. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

The Edge

CapnK,

When the cooler wasn't used for cooling, it was used for fresh food storage; i.e. bread, crackers, uneaten portion of Dinty Moore Stew. ;)
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

Amorous

I just go iceless too.  Just as some people cruise from one historic place to another or one McDonalds to another.  I kinda enjoy the initial search for ice and stuff upon reaching port.  Gives you a purpose for a little while and yes, even cheap beer tastes SOOO much better when you've been drinking them warm for awhile.

CharlieJ

yep- we treated mayo the same way the whole time I lived aboard. Still do on board Tehani. Just use a clean spoon, dip out what you need and DON"T put the utensil back into the jar once you've used it for something else..

Read an article some years ago fro U of Ind or Ill saying Mayo itself was a hostile environment for bacteria- claimed it was acidic and bacteria would die in it. It was the OTHER stuff put into mayo that was dangerous- chicken, eggs, etc.

Don't know about that, but I do know that in over three years aboard ( and on our recent cruises) the mayo hasn't bothered us at all.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pixie Dust

Does it work for Miracle Whip too?  I am a MW gal.   :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

CharlieJ

Really can't say- MW is a totally different  product and we never use it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

hearsejr

I think I found a places to get powdered eggs. thay also sell them little packets of condoments. ofcourse I'll raid the fast food places and those stores that sells fast foods here.
in 1996 I got sick off bad mayo in a sub from Little J's in Kinston N.C......man that about turned me from mayo for life. LOL

CapnK

Quote from: hearsejr on January 09, 2006, 05:03:57 PMin 1996 I got sick off bad mayo in a sub from Little J's in Kinston N.C......man that about turned me from mayo for life. LOL

Veering off topic, but I had a similar experience once, only it involved tequila and a Jimmy Buffett concert... ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

hearsejr

Quote from: CapnK on January 10, 2006, 09:34:30 AM

Veering off topic, but I had a similar experience once, only it involved tequila and a Jimmy Buffett concert... ;D

yeah but you had more fun then I did... LOL  ;D

CapnK

Quote from: hearsejr on January 10, 2006, 05:52:48 PM
Quote from: CapnK on January 10, 2006, 09:34:30 AM

yeah but you had more fun then I did... LOL  ;D

Only at first, my friend. ;) A few hours later, I think I was looking at the soles of my feet - the *inside* of 'em! At least that's what it felt like I should be seeing... ;D Phew! Never again! :D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Amorous

Does anyone else use tea as their main drink?  I usually drop a few teabags in a milk jug, fill it with water and set it on the cockpit seat first thing after making coffee in the morning.  It brews in the sun and is ready about the same time as I finish with the coffee and am wanting something else.  By evening, what remains has gotten so strong that it is just crying for the addition of some rum and lime, to end it's existence as the ultimate sundowner.
Mebbe it's just me. ;D

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

hearsejr

yep I'm a sweet tea lover. born and bread. lol. but I like my sweet tea with ice,  or least cool, which may not be possiable in my price range.

Bill

Pixie Dust

I too enjoy Sweet Iced tea.  Real sugar...not the artificial sweetners. 
I have never tried tea, rum, lime...hmmmm, another to try idea. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

hearsejr

Quote from: Pixie Dust on January 11, 2006, 06:05:12 PM
I too enjoy Sweet Iced tea.  Real sugar...not the artificial sweetners. 
I have never tried tea, rum, lime...hmmmm, another to try idea. 

same here.

Bill

s/v Faith

Amorous,

Sun tea, great idea!  I keep some cool-aid type stuff for when I am 'watered out' but tea bags would store easily, and the idea fit's the energy budget too!

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

hearsejr

Lipton used to have tea you make like that. just drop a few bags in a galoon jar of suger and water, a few hours later you are sipping your heart out... lol.

CapnK

Amo - good point on the sun tea - I make it, haven't tried with Green Tea yet, but probably will.

As far as adding rum and limefor a sundowner - that is worth a karma pop! (Warning: If it tastes like dookey, I'll have to neg you... ;D)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)