Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Hello.

Started by nick_andersen, February 23, 2022, 12:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick_andersen

Hi,

My name is Nick. I have an Allied Seawind 30' on Lake Superior. I would like for it to be somewhere a lot warmer, but getting a vessel from that lake to the ocean is a lot harder than it seems. If it isn't the cost, it is the time. I did a lot of electrical on her last year and managed to sail her a bunch. This year I am pulling the masts and will be replacing core, bedding hardware, upgraded chain plates, and standing rigging. Hopefully, I can crew for races on the weekend to get my sailing fix. This forum seems like it has a lot of good information and a bit better crowd then a few of the other forums I have been on. I am glad I found it.
“Believe me my young friend, there is nothing â€" absolutely nothing â€" half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

CharlieJ

Wecome aboard Nick.  Always glad to see new folks. I'm down on the Texas coast. We have an online chat on Thursday nights at 1930 Central- -a few of us show up regularly and talk about what ever- even CaptK shows occasionally- come join us :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Norman

Welcome, Nick.

Plenty of good information here, and as Charlie said, visit the Chat on Thursday nights.

Norman

Tim

Welcome aboard Nick. Yes most of what you will be doing others have some experience, feel free to ask questions and with photos if possible. It may take a few days to get answers so be patiient.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Nice to have ya here.
Great boat
Pics please
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

Welcome aboard, Nick, and have a first "Grog" on me! :)

There is a good, albeit smaller than years past :), bunch of folks here. No 'know-it-all blowhards' like seem common in larger forums, and unlike Bookface  ::), it is easy to look thru years of past posts to find info.

Nice boat you have there! Regarding the work you have upcoming, you should also check out our "sister" forum with a more DIY repair/rebuild focus at plasticclassicforum.com. Some same, some different folks there, it's another good friendly, knowledgeable resource. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Welcome!
Sounds like taking her south via Chicago down the waterway to warmer places would be a nice trip!
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

s/v Faith

Welcome abaoard. ….  Grog?  Did someone mention grog?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

Quote from: s/v Faith on February 26, 2022, 02:05:21 AM
Welcome abaoard. ….  Grog?  Did someone mention grog?

OK, OK - one more for everyone, on my tab! :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

nick_andersen

Thanks all. I was up at the boat today and she is basically buried in snow. It has been a long time since I have seen that much snow in one place. The wind of the big lake has drifted between all of the boats. You take a step and practically sink to your waistline. I went inside and sat for awhile and realized I started to hate winter the day I bought a sailboat.

I have been a member of the classic plastic forum since before I bought her. It has been helpful. It was that forum that led me here.

Thanks again for the welcome.
“Believe me my young friend, there is nothing â€" absolutely nothing â€" half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

Tim

Buried in snow! :o Here is another grog, you need it
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

sorry to hear  that. Been a bit chilly here, but has warmed  to a sunny 60 here. I abhor, detest,hate and generally don't  like cold :) The yea
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

CJ.....

Does that mean you don’t like cold? 😂🤣
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

:o  Yessir- since my year in Iceland!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v necessity

Nick,
   You wouldn't happen to be in Bayfield would you?  (If so I passed by you last year while you were working on the boat).

w00dy

Have you ever thought about ice sailing? I am only half-joking. I've never done it but hope to give it a try someday. I imagine you'd have to dress very warmly though.

Welcome, Nick. Hope the snow melts away soon!

nick_andersen

Quote from: s/v necessity on April 16, 2022, 12:04:31 AM
Nick,
   You wouldn't happen to be in Bayfield would you?  (If so I passed by you last year while you were working on the boat).

Yes, I am in Bayfield. I sailed a bunch last season and this season I am going to try and get her decks done. I have quite a task.

nick_andersen

Quote from: w00dy on April 21, 2022, 11:23:13 PM
Have you ever thought about ice sailing? I am only half-joking. I've never done it but hope to give it a try someday. I imagine you'd have to dress very warmly though.

Welcome, Nick. Hope the snow melts away soon!

It is gone and time to get to work.

I just realized that you were the owner of Mona. I talked to yo about her several times but just couldn't get the logistics to work out. That boat is the one that got away. I found Mariah about a month later. She was closer and I didn't have to relocate to get on her. She is no where near the boat Mona is but she sails like she is on rails and is easy to handle on my own with minimal help from my wife and kids. The ketch rig and her lines seem to bring people around to talk about her. My only complaint is she is a bit small, but small is easier on the pocket book.

w00dy

Plenty of boats in the sea, right?

How's the work coming along, Nick?