Book Mart...exchange, sell, buy

Started by Zen, June 16, 2007, 01:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

I thought we could have a book mart here...

If anyone is interested in these PM me:

The romance of Sail...Michael Leitch

Marine Navigation 2
Celestil & Electronic
...2 edtion...Richard R. HOBBS

THE BRENDIAN VOYAGE...A leather boat tracks the discovery of America...Tim Severin

Chapman Piloting..57th edition...Elbert S. Maloney

(Edit: Zen, great idea. I am going to sticky this thread. Thanks, and Grog! :) CapnK)
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

CapnK

Good idea, Zen, Grog. I've a tome or two that I'd be willing to swap out. I'll try and think of a way to enable the process...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Bill NH

Any new ideas on how to facilitate book swaps on the board here?

I've got a few nautical titles I'd like to swap or sell real cheap, with more to follow as I clean out the bookshelves...

The Long Way, by Bernard Moitessier
The Morro Castle: Tradgedy at Sea, by Hal Burton
Passage to Juneau, by Jonathan Raban
The Black Ships: Rumrunners of Prohibition, by Everett S. Allen
Melville: A Collection of Essays
The Cutter (old book, stories of early USCG cutters, rescues, etc)
Sailing in a Spoonful of Water, by Joe Coomer
Ravenscrag, by Thomas E. Appleton
Build the New Instant Boats, by Harold "Dynamite" Payson
Boating for Less, by Steve Henkel
Great Sea Rescues by Edward Rowe Snow
Engines For Sailboats by Conrad Miller

[Edit: titles added 2/29/08]

Zen, any of these you'd swap for the Brendan Voyage?
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Auspicious

I'd like to borrow or swap for a copy of "My Life with Three Women" by Alan Richards. It's supposed to be real schlock, but entertaining none the less. If someone has a copy to lend we can work out shipping, or if you want to swap for it I'll send a list of what I would part with.

It's hard to let go of books. <grin>
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Bill NH

Several new titles added to list above...

Will either swap or sell real cheap...

Anyone have any books they're interested in trading?

Shipscarver

Anyone interested introductory stock market texts?

Market Wizards - Schwager
Winning on Wall Street - Zweig
Sticky Stock Charts - Holt Books
How To Make Money in Stocks - O'Neil
The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom - Orman

"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

s/v Faith

Great idea Zen,

I gotta tell you, DO NOT TRY to sell books using Amazon.

I just finished shipping my last order.  I have sold 28 books (mostly hard cover) in the last couple weeks.

I have paid ~ $45 in US shipping, $28 in international shipping.  Amazon kept about $60 in comissions and I have a grand total of $45 bucks to show for my efforts....   :P

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

psyche

Bill,
I would like to know if you still have the following books; Boating for less by Steve Henkel and Great Sea Rescues by Edward Snow? I would also like to know howmuch you want for them?

Craig you should have given us a chance to purchase the books you sold through Amazon. You would have saved some/made more. Dan

s/v Faith

Quote from: psyche on April 19, 2008, 03:39:48 PM....Craig you should have given us a chance to purchase the books you sold through Amazon. You would have saved some/made more. Dan

They were all novels... none of them were sailing related.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

psyche

Has anyone  tried selling books through eBay? Dan

Bill NH

Quote from: psyche on April 19, 2008, 03:39:48 PM
Bill,
I would like to know if you still have the following books; Boating for less by Steve Henkel and Great Sea Rescues by Edward Snow? I would also like to know howmuch you want for them?

Dan

Yes, I still have them.  I'll PM you when I get home tonight.  Sorry for the slow reply, just saw your post today...  somehow missed it these past weeks.

newt

Yes I know this is an old thread- but a goodie ;D
I am in great need of charts and perhaps one guide of the Puget Sound and the PNW. If anyone is in the Seattle area, I can pick them up and save on postage.  PM me.
Thanks, Mark (newt)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

ntica

How about a DVD mart? Does anyone have a dvd round the world and cape horn sailing dvd, shorthanded not big/tall ships please.

In exchange I have a Swedish couple leaving south Sweden and sailing around the world beautiful footage (?!) approx. 2 hours long. in a Allegro 27, they had no sailing experience.

I have no problem by sending this by snail mail if someone interested?!

Captain Smollett

Quote from: ntica on October 18, 2011, 05:17:28 AM

How about a DVD mart? Does anyone have a dvd round the world and cape horn sailing dvd, shorthanded not big/tall ships please.

A DVD exchange is a pretty good idea!  Grog for suggesting it.

On the topic of RTW and Cape Horn shorthanded...have you watched

With Jean du Sud Around the World

This is the film Yves Gelinas made while solo circumnavigating on his Alberg 30.  It's a darn good film, and you can purchase the download for about 10 USD (download, no DVD).

If you have not seen this one, it is WELL worth the watch.  Yves is an incredible seaman, and by all accounts of those who have met him (several on the A30 mailing list have met him), he's a heck of a nice guy.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

ntica

Yes cap...I have Jean du sud on DVD. also on VHS... one of my favorit. More tips?

Captain Smollett

Quote from: ntica on October 18, 2011, 11:51:35 AM
Yes cap...I have Jean du sud on DVD. also on VHS... one of my favorit. More tips?

Cool.  ;)

Deep Water is a pretty good film...mostly about Donald Crowhurst, but has some really good interview footage with Robin Knox-Johnston and some others.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

ntica

Thanks. will check it out. I've done some reading about this earlier...One of my favorits Bernard Moitessier, was competing in this tragic crowhurst storie. have 2 great books by him, the long way and the logical routes.

for now...

SeaHusky

Quote from: ntica on October 18, 2011, 05:17:28 AM
In exchange I have a Swedish couple leaving south Sweden and sailing around the world beautiful footage (?!) approx. 2 hours long. in a Allegro 27, they had no sailing experience.

I would be interested in your film. I have no DVD to swap but I can offer you a mint condition book:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Feathers-Pocket-Singlehanded-TransPac/dp/1440191964
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

ntica

Yes why not seahusky. Send your adress and I'll post  the dvd. I'll PM mine for you to send the book...ok?!