News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

sea/ para anchor

Started by ntica, October 26, 2011, 01:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntica

I tried the "search" button, nothing on this subject?
What is your "thoughts" about this in a small boat in heavy/survival weather
ad a link from the tube...in 60knots of wind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4FvhfmUM78&NR=1

okawbow

I carry a small chute and 300' of anchor line, a heavy duty swivel, etc, to use when hove to in an emergency. Just to help keep the bow closer to the waves, and slow the drift a little. These are strong enough, I think, to put 2 chutes in series if needed.

http://www.aeroconsystems.com/chutes/p6ft.htm
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Oldrig

Quote from: okawbow on December 09, 2011, 12:55:37 PM
I carry a small chute and 300' of anchor line, a heavy duty swivel, etc, to use when hove to in an emergency. Just to help keep the bow closer to the waves, and slow the drift a little. These are strong enough, I think, to put 2 chutes in series if needed.

http://www.aeroconsystems.com/chutes/p6ft.htm

Amazingly inexpensive chutes! Have you ever used them at sea?
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

okawbow

Never had to use the chute, thankfully. They are made for cargo drops, and seem very robust. Cheap enough to buy 2.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

ntica

Thanks for link. yes inexpensive = good. But are they strong enough in heavy weather? Not yet tested I guess?

SeaHusky

The JSD has been discussed previously on this site and Roger Taylor has tested it in a storm:
http://www.thesimplesailor.com/articles.html
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Tim

Quote from: SeaHusky on December 14, 2011, 01:59:04 PM
The JSD has been discussed previously on this site and Roger Taylor has tested it in a storm:
http://www.thesimplesailor.com/articles.html

Sea Husky, I had a hard time finding your reference on Roger Taylor's site (not the easiest to navigate) but I think ntica might have been referring to the particular parachute that was referenced above. I also wonder if a chute not designed to use as a drogue would hold up.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

SeaHusky

Quote from: Tim on December 14, 2011, 02:22:37 PMSea Husky, I had a hard time finding your reference on Roger Taylor's site (not the easiest to navigate) but I think ntica might have been referring to the particular parachute that was referenced above. I also wonder if a chute not designed to use as a drogue would hold up.
I thought I was making it very easy!  ;)
For everyone else, the latest article he wrote called "A serial argument".
ntica, doesn't your wife have a sewingmachine?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Tim

Quote from: SeaHusky on December 14, 2011, 02:30:06 PM
Quote from: Tim on December 14, 2011, 02:22:37 PMSea Husky, I had a hard time finding your reference on Roger Taylor's site (not the easiest to navigate) but I think ntica might have been referring to the particular parachute that was referenced above. I also wonder if a chute not designed to use as a drogue would hold up.
I thought I was making it very easy!  ;)
For everyone else, the latest article he wrote called "A serial argument".
ntica, doesn't your wife have a sewingmachine?

LOL You did, I am just blind. Also I was in the mindset of the above parachute, so was looking for a different article.

Grog for being patient, and not calling me a dufus
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

ntica

Sea  Husky. Yes my wife do have a sewingmachine. But there will be a lot of "negociation", many trips to IKEA & H&M before any sewing will be done ;) so think it's cheaper to buy one para ancher ;D

symystic

Have any of you tried retrieving a sea anchor after the wind lets up? I only know two boats that deployed them in survival situations, both had to cut them loose, could not retrieve them even with rolling hitches and the jib sheet winches. If I ever find my self in this situation I will deploy warps. Hopefully I'll be able to get these back.

Bill NH

We used to have a 15' ParaTech sea anchor on the 37' trimaran we sailed a while ago.  We rigged the chute with a buoyed pickup line and never had problems recovering it.  However, friends who used a trip line back to their boat (instead of buoyed off as ours was) had difficulty with the rode and trip line getting fouled together...

I now carry a 12 footer on the various smaller boats I've owned more recently, but haven't had to deploy it yet :) ...
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

rorik

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....