How many boats...... are you looking for one?

Started by captedteach, February 12, 2006, 09:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captedteach

is too many?

I have some how managed to buy not one but TWO over 30 catamarans in as many weeks. The first boat I bought at a live auction on the Gulf Coast the other is just a few miles away from that one but it was bought thru Ebay (thanks to a Dumbass I paid twice as much as I would have) The High bidder backed out of the sale so I got it by default. Anyway now that both boats are mine I have a small problem  I have FOUR freakin sailboats!!  Of course two of them are projects - the other two are ready for the water - as soon as we have some water in the lake AND a little heat (28* here this morning).  The biggest problem is where do you put a big Catamaran that you really were not expecting to get.  I'm having tons of fun trying to get a trailer modified to take the boats and move them up here PLUS trying to find a place to store a 32 ft Cat while I work on the 31Ft boat.  Y'all may know that I have a HUGE shop and I do 'glasswork so all seems well with the world as far as getting the boats fixxed - Just one small problem.  It does not matter how much space you have in a building if the door is not big enuff to get the project thru - Thats right my friends and fellow consumers of adult liabation, the door is TWO feet too small to get the boats in the shop  5400sqft of shop and a 12ft wide door is keeping me from workin with out care of the weather.  SO you say make the door bigger - Wonderful idea - until you realize that my building  was built in the 1800's and is SOLID Brick - Yep almost 2ft of solid brick walls. I guess thats enuff of that this morning as I have a 90lb Chotwieller telling me he needs to go outside - Did I tell you its 28* here this AM?
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

oded kishony

Greetings Captedteach:

>the door is TWO feet too small to get the boats in the shop  5400sqft of shop and a 12ft wide door  <

How about tilting the cat @ 45d? Will it fit diagonally?

OK

s/v Faith

... or letting the air out of the tires......  :P

Oops, wrong problem.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

captedteach

The door is JUST tall enuff to get the boats in - I would have to open up the door about 3ft more to get the boats in and that would be a tight fit with just 6in on either side.  Not to mention there is not just a ton of room on the street to manuvure

CaptTeach

captedteach

One to go!!

I got my Gemini 3200 home Sat (mar4) just as it was getting dark.  It was a LONG trip driving home from Gulfport at 45-50 mph.  Once we got the boat loaded it was just the beginning, we had to modify the trailer by taking all the tounge that I had added back out to remove the flex. Two of the tires needed to be changed so that happened and we FINALLY got on the road at 11:30 - I had hoped to leave on Fri so we were 24hrs behind. 

Today I will go find the spot to drop it so I can go back and pick up the Harstil.  Then the fun begins, as I will start to repair process on both boats.  If any of you people like to invest in stocks may I suggest Owens-Cornning  - I will be buying LOTS of fiberglass. 

CaptTeach

hearsejr

CapnK

Does either cat fold, like the Corsair tris do? ;)

Hopefully you got the cats at a low enough price that, once fixed and sold, the return will justify the investment and frostbite. ;D

On a serious note, Neal has talked about getting a cat, though he is thinking larger. Actually, he is thinking larger than his wallet, too. :D When he gets back in town, I'll tell him I know a guy who has a couple of cats he is willing to part with...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

captedteach

Well I'm only gonna sell one of them - the other I plan to keep.  And it will be a while before either sees the water again mostly because of the stuff I have going on this year.  The 31 ft boat may hit the water by the end of the year.  I've been thinking of adding some head room in the salon area  I'll know more once it gets home and I can really look at things.

Neither cat is detachable or folding/compressable  Some friends I stayed with on the coast just got a F27 and it is one hot ride - carbon stick Smyth sails the whole deal - cant wait to get back down and go sailing

CaptTeach

hearsejr

can you get a large canvas tarp, and build a tent around the bow? I did that with a hearse once, and it worked great. I put a space heater in there, away from the sides ofcourse, and I anchored it down in 4 places along each wall.  just a thought and it was alot cheaper then you think.
I built the frame out of #80 pvc pipe..I went with a size way to large, becouse it was free.. and built it like a square box shape.
good luck
Bill

captedteach

Yeah Bill - I've been thinking of building a blue room over the boat.  I've got a couple of 20x30 tarps but may be needing them more for shade and rain protection than to keep in the heat by the time I get back from Tahiti

Right now I'm off to get the Harstil - pix will follow pretty soon

CaptTeach

hearsejr

there are some good deals on these cheap blue tarps here. I got a 20x18 and a 5 6x8's. your welcomed to them.
Bill

captedteach

thanks for the offer brudda - I've got PLENTY of tarps  Got a blue roof on the house now thanks to Katrina and an old pecan tree

BTW  Both boats are now home (a few dollars more than I expected to get them here)  SO now I have a delima but I'll have to deal with that myself

CaptTeach

captedteach

I just put an ad in the SellFar section for a San Juan 23 - nice solid boat w trailer

CaptTeach