Your Rules; what are they, why do you have them?

Started by s/v Faith, February 05, 2014, 10:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kettlewell

On my boat I tell everyone to sit every time. A lot of guys think they have better aim then they do, and except for the calmest conditions there is always a little movement onboard.

Godot

Quote from: Mario G on May 12, 2014, 09:21:19 AM
Why hasn't someone posting the rule of sitting down while using the head if the seas are above 2'.

That's actually a really good one. In my case, it is necessary to ALWAYS sit while using the head. The nature of the composter should allow liquid waste to flow to the proper place even if standing (well, not on a port tack); but the bowl is so shallow the, err, splatter would be depressing.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

Quote from: Mario G on May 12, 2014, 09:21:19 AM
Why hasn't someone posting the rule of sitting down while using the head if the seas are above 2'.

Well, the only time the head is used on my boat is when you HAVE to be sitting. Otherwise, there's a separate container involved.

Yes, women too
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Grime

Quote from: Kettlewell on May 12, 2014, 10:02:31 AM
On my boat I tell everyone to sit every time. A lot of guys think they have better aim then they do, and except for the calmest conditions there is always a little movement onboard.

Men can't hit the white life saver on dry land much less standing on a moving boat. On my boat you have 2 choices sit or hold it.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Leroy - Gulf 29

I usually just drop it overboard and hope the fish don't bite it!! ;D

s/v Emerald Tide

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 03, 2014, 05:10:00 PM
I recently took my 8 yo son out for a sail on the Opti...I was in a chase boat.  For the first time, I decided to use a set of Family Service radios to communicate with him, so I did not have to shout (to be heard) over the outboard, wind and distance.

It worked remarkably well...he could acknowledge my 'commands' with a head shake that I could see, so he did not even have to take hand off tiller or mainsheet to verbally respond.  I could rather leisurely explain to him what was coming up...what command I was going to issue in a moment, etc.  If at any time he had a question or did not understand something, he could talk back without himself having to shout over the outboard, etc.

Clear communications ('orders' given and received and understood) are another "rule" I guess.

I have used the Cruising Solutions headphones for docking, anchoring, mooring. The captain can give understandable instructions, and there are no misunderstandings. A real lifesaver - especially if unintentionally anchoring after dark in a crowed anchorage, or picking up a tricky mooring ball. They decrease the friction that occurs when situations are less than ideal. This enhances orders given, received and understood rule!

CharlieJ

;D ;D ;D

But don't work worth a flip when you are single hand!!!

;D  ;D  ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Speaking of Cruising Rules".....

There is a book called "cruising rules", written by Roland Barth Sawyer (or some name very cloe to that) from the NE

Get it if ya can....it is hilarious!!!

Well written and too funny. The guy has obviosly cruised with other people and anyone else that has will grin and laugh out loud all the way through it

stumpy

Ninety-nine percent of my sailing has been single-handed...makes it easy to find the guy at fault but hard to win arguments...  Common sense is the main rule, but there's a couple items I stand by hard and fast when out alone.
When conditions require (sea state, darkness, etc.) I snap on to the jackline on the way out the companionway.
Seacocks, fuel valves, 'lectric breakers, etc. are ALL off or closed when not in active use...no exceptions.
I have about a 200' length of 3/16" line with a little line float on the end hooked to the trip on the steering vane...it is ALWAYS deployed while offshore.  As a single-hander that line is a very important safety feature...if I do inadvertently go in the wet, figure I can make it to that line and hit the trip before she heads off over the horizon like the "Mary Celeste."

Sunset

84 Islander 28

stumpy

Daily at times... ;-)   ...now where did I put that article about single-handers bein' slightly loopy?

Frank

Heh......I resemble  resent that remark!!    ;) :o