News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Dingy 911

Started by Frank, January 12, 2016, 06:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

OK....my trusty deflatable has blown a seam!

A simple hole is easy to fix but this is about 2inchs of a "let go" seam where the stern plywood meets the port hull tube on the forward side.

I do not want to screw it up the 1st time knowing a second chance would be nearly impossible after.

I have lots of patch material and the glue from the dingy repair kit

Concerns are the curve of the tube and not being able to put pressure from behind.

If you have successfully done one of these patchs....please share

If you've done normal patchs only.....me too   :D

Thx
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

What is it made of Frank?

I have an Avon Halpon that was made in 1977...  Yes, that's right 1977!

Been patched more times then I can remember, you can pretty much fix anything on that boat.

Seams on PVC boats are tough, and that spot is especially tough....  Like you, I have seen people try using 5200....  Not sure how long it works though...   I think that seam is "welded" from the factory.

(Insert positive, encouraging words here).
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

it's a PVC  "el cheapo" Zodiak......

OK...I knew better.....

No issue in Florida

HUGE issue here.....

CharlieJ

I patched an Achilles  inflatable with 5200 in I think, 1979. It's still holding

Also patched a smaller one with 5200 in about 2010 or so. Still good

Both Hypalon

.But both patches were where I could get good clamping on them. That seam doesn't sound fun
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

A curved "welded" seam is next to impossible to "clamp"....as you know.

Busy for 2 days....then going to tackle this....

I'd just buy a better dingy ir I were stateside.........F'd over here.....

Seriously thinking "hard bottom"

Too tippy.....worried about towing in a seaway....but none of this!!!

Tim

Frank would it be possible to use straps over the tube to hold a patch on while inflated? Definitely thinking out side the box, because I cannot think of any other way of keeping pressure on the curved surface.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Tim...kinda maybe a good idea???

I was thinking of something close to that myself.
Worried inside pressure would cause it to leak before "set"...even low pressure

D@M inflatables!    Stable to get in/out of, hold lots, take a seaway well BUT just don't last

D@M hard dingy's! Tippy, not great in seas but row well and last

Currently thinking next one will be hard bottom with decent sized fenders attached horizontally about 2-3 inchs below gunnel.   Great for not scrathing mother ship and added stability

Frank

My relatively cheap "off brand" PNW dingy is 3 years old and close to 3000 mile...looks new! Never added airl all last fall.

This Zodiak is one year old and about 600 miles.....

stumpy

At least PVC isn't as touchy to repair in relation to temp and humidity.

I've also used 5200 in a pinch with reasonable results on hypalon boats.

Helped a fellow cruiser fix a similar blow-out on a pvc dink a couple of years ago.  Made a "form" out of wood and foam scraps that matched the curve of the inflated tube...then deflated the tube and used the "form" under the repair area to provide a solid surface to press and clamp on.  Did a real careful job of prepping the surfaces...didn't have any two-part glue so used the single-part from my emergency repair kit.  I know it held for at least two years (last time I bumped into the guy)...yer mileage may vary...

Frank

THANKS for the idea!!!

I have left over closed cell foam from insulating the ice box!!

Never thought of that.....great to make a form with!!

Have a grog on me  :-)

stumpy

Hopefully it'll work for you too...I found it also helped to hold my mouth just right while making the repair.  The use of some proper nautical terminology in a judicial manner made me feel better during the process as well, after checking the immediate surroundings for ladies with more delicate sensibilities. ;-)

SeaHusky

Quote from: Frank on January 13, 2016, 07:38:54 PM
D@M inflatables!    Stable to get in/out of, hold lots, take a seaway well BUT just don't last

D@M hard dingy's! Tippy, not great in seas but row well and last

Currently thinking next one will be hard bottom with decent sized fenders attached horizontally about 2-3 inchs below gunnel.   Great for not scrathing mother ship and added stability

Perhaps something like in this video at 5:10 is ideal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9LZWFMCbTI
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Frank

Frank

7 hrs later....it's still holding  :)

Hauled out the dingy yeaterday.....prepped area with sandpaper, used "Krazy Glue" inside the seam....then a big "normal" patch with kit glue on the outside. Let it set the full 24 hours and as of last look... still air in that tube!!

Relieved as ya NEED a dingy here and there's no place to buy a new one...and if there was...between shipping and duty....the price would be rude!!!

PS....the krazy glue idea wasn't mine.....but a buddy swore by it!