Boat Maintenance & Management Solution?

Started by MarineDataCloud, February 04, 2020, 09:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarineDataCloud

Hello,

I'm so excited to be part of the Sailfar Forum. I would like to share with you some of my experiences and ideas regarding the boat industry.

Have you ever been part of the discussion regarding the automation of the main tasks a captain has to perform, on a daily basis, before getting control of the vessel? What are your thoughts on the matter?

The idea is to have a system that can automatically generate relevant data through inputs inserted by a Crew member or a Captain. The aim of such a system is to always be aware of everything required for a boat to be safe on the water.

For example, this could include managing different tasks a captain needs to perform before sailing, managing inventory and giving out alerts when something finishes or expires (fuel, provisions, etc). Everything needs to be automated and accessible at any time, by all crew members of the boat.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there another way to better manage and maintain your boat?

Thank you,
George,
MarineDataCloud!

Phantom Jim

This seems to be a lot of overkill for a small boat where everything is within an arm's length.
Phantom Jim

skylark

A small notepad and a pencil is more reliable.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

MarineDataCloud

Quote from: skylark on February 05, 2020, 07:35:10 AM
A small notepad and a pencil is more reliable.

Yes, but think about the general picture of a boat! You have metrics (fuel etc) to watch, inventory, maintenance tasks etc. And of course, I am not talking only to write them down but also to keep track of them so you can have meaningful reports every 3-6-9 months, so you can better manage your boat and optimize its resources. If you ask me, I'll say that I'll feel more comfortable having an automated soft that does it for me.

Just like the notepad and the pencil, only that the reporting is made by the software. I think this is a great advantage on using this kind of systems, don't you think?

MarineDataCloud

Quote from: Phantom Jim on February 04, 2020, 07:23:36 PM
This seems to be a lot of overkill for a small boat where everything is within an arm's length.

Yes, but still, even a small boat has its "stressing" stuff that you need to worry about; don't you think? I'm talking about all the Maintenance Task that every boat needs (basic + advanced)!

Phantom Jim

Phantom Jim

Bubba the Pirate

Hey, George. Welcome.

It seems that your sites are down this morning. I'm trying to hit them from mobile data in the Carolinas.

Also, if you take a look around here I think you will find that we are not really in your target market. There are luddites and vagabonds, old school sailors and boatyard bums; and even some geeks too. Of the varied approaches taken by members, all are worn as a badge of courage and solidarity.

I would never use a cloud based app as one of my goals is to be disconnected. I saw your Utube that suggested it could be used offline, but I just wouldn't. That's not to say I won't keep an inventory on a tablet or a RPi, but I'd be better served by something I've built myself.

Good luck.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

Hey who you calling a luddite??? Oh, me :) Yep- still carry and use paper aboard, even though I do use GPS And hank on sails :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Norman

Preventive maintenance:

Put boat and trailer in driveway for winter.

Change the oil in the engine once a year in fall.  Run time not enough to need one, but good practice.

Put the battery in the garage on a charger for the winter.

Check air in tires in fall, and again in spring.

Remove any leftover food.

Remove any wasp nests that have been built this year.

Done

Bubba the Pirate

See ... I knew somebody would take "luddite" as a compliment. :-)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

:) At my age, sure- kinda set that way. No propane on the boat, no A/C, no 110, outboard power.
No TV aboard.... :) and on and on
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

Been a long time since I 'grogged.'
Not always about age, I might install propane, but I'm with you on all the rest.
I haven't owned a TV for 15 years.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phantom Jim

The only clouds I want to experience are white fluffy ones overhead.
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Guys guys guys....
You're all missing the point!
Can't ya see it now....

Siri, scrub the deck
Siri, fill the water tank
Siri, reef the main
Siri, sand and paint the bottom...

I'm kinda liking the thought...

But for now, we'll, pencil n paper list and I'll do it all myself
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

Quote from: Frank on February 08, 2020, 11:08:34 PM
Guys guys guys....
You're all missing the point!
Can't ya see it now....

Siri, scrub the deck hi
Siri, fill the water tank
Siri, reef the main
Siri, sand and paint the bottom...

I'm kinda liking the thought...

But for now, we'll, pencil n paper list and I'll do it all myself

Dear Sir - I find your Siri-do concept quite interesting, and would like to be on your mailing list. Thank you
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

w00dy

Frank

Yep...
When you go back and start from the beginning it is a hoot..."don't you think"
God made small boats for younger boys and older men