Inboard engine removal/replacement

Started by w00dy, February 02, 2021, 09:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

This can be a pretty daunting task if you haven't done it before or don't have the right gear. It took me many years before I felt confident enough to attempt it myself. We ended up doing the whole project, including a top end rebuild, ourselves.

I'd like to share here to encourage others who might be considering the DIY approach. We used no cranes or power equipment. Just block and tackle and our boom.

The boat is a Westsail 32 and the engine was an old cast iron Yanmar 3qm30.

Here's a photo gallery of the process: https://imgur.com/a/8A9x7O8

CapnK

I do hope that the "w00dy's Super Duper Minuscule Yet Powerful Sucker Uppers" will be produced with high quality in the USA...  8) ;D

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Owly055

Quote from: w00dy on February 02, 2021, 09:05:14 AM
This can be a pretty daunting task if you haven't done it before or don't have the right gear. It took me many years before I felt confident enough to attempt it myself. We ended up doing the whole project, including a top end rebuild, ourselves.

I'd like to share here to encourage others who might be considering the DIY approach. We used no cranes or power equipment. Just block and tackle and our boom.

The boat is a Westsail 32 and the engine was an old cast iron Yanmar 3qm30.

Here's a photo gallery of the process: https://imgur.com/a/8A9x7O8

Unfortunately I cannot access the photos.......

curtis

The yard had a fork lift that simplified matters and didn't cost much to use for a few hours.  That is Lukas steadying the beast.  625 lbs in this case.  I'll be repowering with electric which weighs about 70 lbs and won't require a fork lift and will be much easier to set in place.  Also no hoses or exhaust to worry about.

This will shed about 200-400 lbs not counting fuel weight.  The older AGM batteries are going so if you count that its closer to 400.  Not sure what to do with the SS fuel tank once its finally out but it will make more food storage room.

All is progressing *very* slowly.  Generous use of the word "progressing".

Curtis

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Where your fuel tank used to be may make a good place to locate your battery bank. That's what worked out best for me anyway.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Norman

Fine job of rigging to hoist out the iron ballast. 
doing that without damage is a process that requires careful planning and good help.

Fill that stainless steel fuel tank half way with water  and detergent, sail for a while, drain and replace.  After just a few such cycles, the tank should be clean enough for washing water, and soon, drinking water.

Good stainless tanks are often used for a variety of liquids with suitable cleaning in between, and the sloshing of a sailboat does an impressive job of loosening any material that is in there.  The detergent emulsifies any remaining fuel, and depending on how much was undrainable, the number of cycles needed to get all of it out.

The difficulty of removing a perfectly good tank would be a waste of effort if you had use for the tankage for water.

curtis

Quote from: misfits on July 11, 2021, 08:18:33 AM
Where your fuel tank used to be may make a good place to locate your battery bank. That's what worked out best for me anyway.

Batteries are going aft of the electric motor in the center of the boat.  Li-ion are light so not concerned with too much weight aft.  Access is from a cockpit locker.  Just climb in.

Food can be heavy.  The tank is below the full pilot berth on the starboard side.  It will take some sawing to remove, hopefully with shallow blade depth on circular saw (straight cut) otherwise reciprocating saw (aka sawzall, and maybe not as straight).  That berth has stuff stored there so tank will come out later.  The food weight will be variable but at least it is close to center fore and aft even if not centered side to side.  Also better to have access to food in the cabin rather than by way of a cockpit locker.

Curtis

curtis

Norman,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote from: Norman on July 11, 2021, 08:50:22 AM
Fine job of rigging to hoist out the iron ballast. 
doing that without damage is a process that requires careful planning and good help.

I built a temporary scrap lumber and plywood structure to prevent marring the cabin, then covered it with moving blankets.  A little antifreeze left in the block leaked out but I cleaned it up and all seems fine.  Maybe a dent here and there but there were already a few so not sure if there were any new ones.  No new dents that I know of.  Came out easy except fork lift couldn't go higher without hitting backstay so a little muscule had to be applied to pull the iron ballast to the side and clear the companionway.  Otherwise would have been short by an inch or two but nothing another lifting hand winch wouldn't fix if it came to that.

Quote from: Norman on July 11, 2021, 08:50:22 AM
Fill that stainless steel fuel tank half way with water  and detergent, sail for a while, drain and replace.  After just a few such cycles, the tank should be clean enough for washing water, and soon, drinking water.

Good stainless tanks are often used for a variety of liquids with suitable cleaning in between, and the sloshing of a sailboat does an impressive job of loosening any material that is in there.  The detergent emulsifies any remaining fuel, and depending on how much was undrainable, the number of cycles needed to get all of it out.

The difficulty of removing a perfectly good tank would be a waste of effort if you had use for the tankage for water.

I have 100 gallons of water tankage and plan to add a water maker at some point.  The 100 gallons (I think 104) should be enough water for now.  Plenty with a watermaker.

OTOH - I could store 44 gallons of rum in there so might prove useful.  Probably best to keep the rum in bottles and maybe thats a bit much rum.  Though some might argue never too much rum.

I'll save the tank for a while since it won't fit well into any other vessel but I think once out it won't be going back in.

Curtis