An old girlfriend just called.....

Started by Frank, June 04, 2018, 05:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

It's still "love" 😄
She's still under tarp up at the boatyard. It's been a cold, damp spring here and the shop has been too cool to work in so I haven't brought her down yet.  Have about 2 weeks work on the mini trawler to do before hand as well.
That said, I have bought her a few diamonds and jewels.
She has a:
New 130
New CDI furling
New 8hp, LS, electric start 4stroke OB with remote shift
New VHF
New dingy
Once at the shop,
more water tankage with deck fill for rain water too
More cabinets
Sun shade
Dodger repairs
Etc etc
Will post pics once at the shop
She will be set up well as a Bahama cruiser as once there, she won't come back..
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

I have a jealous one in the yard pissed because I am spending so much time on this build.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Quote from: Tim on May 25, 2020, 04:28:44 PM
I have a jealous one in the yard pissed because I am spending so much time on this build.

🤣🤣

Frank

Well.... she's home!!

The refit begins

(PS... yes, it's a sickness)

CapnK

Shoot, Frankeh, with that much of an interior already in place you'll be done sometime next week, probably... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Put away today until next year.
She "just".... I mean "JUST" fits under roof for winter.
All of 1.5 inches to spare on her port side to the rafters!

CapnK

Yikes that *is* tight! You have lots of great 'new' boating ahead of you next year.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Hauled the ole girl out a couple of weeks ago and started at it.
-Had 4 opening ports in the shop to cut them in
2 at the settee
Head and aft cabin
These should make a big difference in moving air and be really nice when seated at the settee to look out without having to stand up.
-Had to cut away part of a bulkhead to fitthe fridge-freezer in. This is a nice unit that has 2 separate compartments so it’s possible to freeze separately.
-added 2 additional water bladders to basically triple tankage
-will be adding 2 forward bulkheads to create more storage for cloths etc
-will tackle a new holding tank next with Y to gravity discharge or pump out
-will hit the wiring soon too...
Lots to do!

Frank

Water tanks and fridge-freezer are low and center... right where you’d want the added weight

Frank

I’m sure everyone else that tackled a major refit knows the feeling, typically well past the point of no return, where ya wonder WTF have I gotten into...
Then as things start coming together a bit it feels so rewarding.

Frank

So...
It’s been a 5 day run of very hot humid weather and it’s stifling working below.
I’m at that point where you’re connecting 1-1/2 hose to water fills and tanks as well as the head, through hull and holding tank.
I’ve had this white “head and drinking water” hose for several years.
Well...
In this heat and humidity below, hunched over in positions this arthritic body no longer can do without pain, I’ve come to realize either the hose shrunk OR the barbed fitting have expanded.
No problem I say...
I’ll boil water to soak the ends and soften them I say
Nope!
After a long soak, barely able to grab the hose, it only went 1/8th inch further.
Well...
Let me think...
Ah hah.... a hairdryer...
20,000 mega watts later, still a no go...
All this done in contorted positions..
Bottom line:
Between the water system and head overboard, pump out Y and thru hulls... I have 13 of these darn things to connect.
So, even tho it’s hot out, ends literally cooked in boiling water and hit with a hairdryer to boot...it’s not happening... does anyone have any magical ways of getting tight 1-1/2 hose over 1-1/2 barbed fittings?

Tim

Perhaps if you have had it for awhile, old age (like us) makes things less pliable.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Tim

Quote from: Jim_ME on June 06, 2018, 07:56:35 PM
Cool design, Frank...

Has that certain Jeanneau sais quoi...  ;)

Good one!

W.A. Ward

Frank

That’s possible Tim....
It’s probably 12-15 yrs old...
Think I’ll soak the hose in a hot tub, then try driving a tapered wooden plug in to expand the ends...
Such a simple job turning into a frustrating one..

Hope all is well in your world!

Tim

All is well here, but only have been able to get the Welsford's oar/sail build in the water once. Been making multiple trips to Colorado. Going to take the Cape Dory up to Washington to sail in September, waiting for you Canuks to let me come back into your country.

W.A. Ward

Godot

Quote from: Frank on June 08, 2021, 11:09:39 PM
That’s possible Tim....
It’s probably 12-15 yrs old...
Think I’ll soak the hose in a hot tub, then try driving a tapered wooden plug in to expand the ends...
Such a simple job turning into a frustrating one..

Hope all is well in your world!

Tapered plug might work. I've done that with engine exhaust host.

Dishsoap might help, too.

I'd say buy new; but that stuff is expensive.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CapnK

Perhaps a judicious application of a coarse abrasive material to the barbs of said connectors in order to slightly lessen their diameter may help make things 'happen' easier...?  ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

QuotePerhaps a judicious application of a coarse abrasive material to the barbs of said connectors in order to slightly lessen their diameter may help make things 'happen' easier...? /quote]

I would rather use KY Jelly myself 😈

W.A. Ward

Frank

After what was way too much grief and frustration, the plumbing is done!
Literally every different barbed fitting was a bit different and all were ground down on a bench sander. Then, I boiled water and soaked the end of the hose in the pot to make the hose flexible for each connection.
One of those jobs that took far longer than expected but heh... that’s boat work.
Thanks for your replies

CapnK

Now we have good reason, to call you...

Hoser.

Eh?  ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)