Golden Globe 2018 - 50th Anniversary

Started by CapnK, June 27, 2018, 10:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Race starts in just a few days now.

http://goldengloberace.com/livetracker/

I was hoping that Virtual Regatta would have a sim set up for it, but I guess it isn't 'big enough'. Although I bet they'd be surprised at how many participated. It'd be a virtual race lasting more than a year, but I would find it a very interesting thing to do, especially if they would put the real life, meatspace skippers positions in and against the virtual fleet.

There are a couple of sailing sims on the Steam gaming platform, and it looks like one named "Sailaway" may have a simGG going, but it costs $23 for the game, which isn't bad, but the hardware end, I'm not sure if any of my old computers can handle the needed specs.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

This will be a good keyboard sailing year!
Sven Yrvind is on his way with tracker, Magnus Reslow sets sail any day now for a solo around non stop attempt in an Albin Vega, with tracker, and the GGR!
As no Swedes have entered I can cheer for the skipper of choice and I have a crush on Susie Goodall (but who doesn't?). Jokes aside I really hope that everyone gets to finish. This is a great event for "normal" boats.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

SeaHusky

An observation - if you zoom in on the live tracker map you see all the boats symbols and their positions are not off by more than a few yards.

Cruiser2B

May be because race starts July 1, all the boats are still at the dock  :)
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

SeaHusky

Quote from: Cruiser2B on June 30, 2018, 12:31:27 PM
May be because race starts July 1, all the boats are still at the dock  :)
That is my point! The boat symbols are only a few feet away from where I know for certain that the boats are moored. Pretty accurate.

If you have missed it there are frequent live streams, skipper interviews and updates on Facetube. Start tomorrow will be broadcast live with English and french commentary.

SeaHusky

One of the debated subjects among keyboard cruisers is if furling headsails are reliable or prone to failure. I have read stories about how behind the chandler i Gibraltar is a pile of roller furlers that have failed on the way there and have had to be replaced.
An observation, all but one of the GGR competitors have all roller furling head sails. One frenchman has chosen the extra speed of designated sails at the cost of having to get on deck and change sails. He is the one presently in the lead.

Bubba the Pirate

I am torn between rooting for an American, an Irishman or the Frenchman with no furlers. I am stoked that Peche was first over the line and continues to lead!

[long tired of people thinking that I'm crazy for not wanting a furler on my boat]
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CapnK

Of course, I'm rooting for the guy on the Alberg 36...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

Quote from: CapnK on July 05, 2018, 11:44:59 AM
Who is that?

Someone associated with the race made this awesome drawing.

CharlieJ

6 Yawls and all boats are full keels. No fins :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 05, 2018, 03:39:56 PM
6 Yawls and all boats are full keels. No fins :)
Yeah, I noticed the keels too but since they are all designed pre-68 I guess most boats had full keels?

CharlieJ

mostly yes, and the cut away forefoot also

My 1961 Meridian-
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

It's me. If I was in the race. But I'm not. :( Ariel too small, Alpa too big, and can't afford the CD/Robinhood A-36. But sure would have liked to see how it stocked up against those other boats,using some other guys wallet and time! :D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

Quote from: CapnK on July 06, 2018, 03:38:29 PM

It's me. If I was in the race. But I'm not. :( Ariel too small, Alpa too big, and can't afford the CD/Robinhood A-36. But sure would have liked to see how it stocked up against those other boats,using some other guys wallet and time! :D

I should have guessed! I went through all the skippers presentations to se what I had missed.
The Norwegian fellow, Are Wiig, is sailing a Swedish double ender of the same design (Koster) as my boat so I am making him my champion!

SeaHusky

Are Wiig's 32-footer is keeping an even pace with Susie Goodall's Rustler 36!
The double ender design has a surprisingly long waterline.

http://sailboatdata.com/mobilesite/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1638

Norman

i AM ROOTING FOR ARI ALSO!

The nature of this 50th anniversary race is to my liking, with a wide variety of eligible vessels.  The pool of vessels that are in existence that are in suitable repair to be worth spending money on to get race ready is quite large.  This format allows fairly Spartan entrants to meet the rules, and be realistic competitors.

Spartan does not mean that a large amount of money is not needed, but rather that hundreds of thousands, not million, are possible budgets.  If you read the rules for sponsorships, you find that any sponsor absolutely must be very large, or the fees imposed ($11,000AUS, for example) will prevent the sponsor from actually assisting financially.  Thus, even in the present race, some of the boats are sailing without naming a sponsor.

This format will end with this race, and the next will be a controlled class type race, with two classes, built to specifications, and bought from Golden Globe Race organization, for a fixed price, including identical sets of sails, with the larger vessel priced at E300,000.  That is a recreation of Joshua. A recreation of Robin Knox Johnson's vessel has not yet been finalized, and its price is therefor unknown.

Starting with a basic hull and suit of sails, there is quite a fortune to be spent before any sea trials could be contemplated.  They will be way over a million dollars before stocking with food and other consumables at the beginning of the race.  We can anticipate that the next race will be emblazoned with big sponsor signs extoling Heineken, or whatever.  Yes, it costs a lot of money to tackle such a voyage, but starting with a brand new vessel will not make it less.  As it is, the boat yards doing the modifications to meet the unique requirements of the specific skipper can give a lot of free time and material without out becoming a named sponsor, because their name is well publicized in the information describing the vessel.  The Turkish yard building all the Joshua class boats has no incentive to do so.

I very much approve of the concept of the skipper picking the size shape, and rig that suits his idea of the most suitable for HIM/HER, not someone else.  The example of just one skipper selecting all hank on fore sails shows that one size does not fit all.  So far, his choice is performing to his advantage.  I wonder if the complete set of identical race committee approved sails that all must use will be hank on, or roller furling?  Will all the winches be standard for brand, size and location?

Robin did not win because he was the best sailor, nor because he had the best vessel.  He won because he was sailing a vessel that was just exactly what he wanted it to be, and he supervised its construction. He and his boat fit, and as a result. worked well as a team.  A vessel built for him might not be a fit for a woman or man of smaller physical stature and strength, even though it will be the smaller of the two class vessels built for the next race.

The future of the economy in 2024 is the other gamble on their part, they blew it on this years start, having to move it from England to France due to vanishing sponsors with the uncertainties of BREXIT, how can they gamble on ordering a fleet of Joshua's when there may be no sponsors then?  A fleet of existing vessels, suitably modified, is much more likely to be possible in bad times, and the public interest should be every bit as great for such a fleet.

Even in the present economy, their plan was to limit to 25 racers, with a possibility of 5 more added from the standby's, and many more left at the pier.  The reality is 19 made it to the start, one of them is still at the start, but not withdrawn, and one has withdrawn.  9 days in, and only 17 racers sailing on.  The grand plans are falling short, and to me, their future plan is more likely to fall short than this one.

With the new format, the regular news will be focused on the price and cost of these identical racers, just as they do for the America's Cup.  So far, I have not seen or heard any reporting of the cost of the present fleet, just coverage of the modifications made by a skipper to improve the safety of his vessel, and even then, no dollars discussed.

I really do hope that this GGR is a success, it is the type of race that appeals to me.

Unfortunately, none of my opinions are particularly relevant, as I did not even have the get up and go to enter this years GGR, and next year is even less possible.

Norman

Phantom Jim

Interesting  note that three boat designs, Rustler, Endurance and Tradewind are each bunched together, with Rustlers in the lead and Tradewinds in the rear.  Whether this will be how all the legs go is anyone's guess, but probably no.  Not enough time and distance has elapsed.

I, personally, will hate to see a single, or a couple, boat designs built for this race format.  That is simply too much money for a single race in my view.  I, obviously, do not follow the hugely expensive races.  Let the entrants select from the roster of existing boats and do their magic with them.  Skill, stamina and ability to make one's own luck are what I like to see.

Phantom Jim

CapnK

Good thoughts, both Norm and PJ.

Maybe if they wouldn't limit boat choice in any way other than age (to keep out modern day sleds), but just put a cap on spending - say no more than $200K. I didn't realize that the organizers were creating their own little despotic fiefdom of a yacht race, but that sure is what it looks like is happening. A real shame, that.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

There is also la "Longue route" which has even fewer rules than the Jester challenge.
Sail the boat you have, when you want, in any way you want.

http://www.longueroute2018.com/

Phantom Jim

CapnK, I am not certain that they are creating a fiefdom, but there are a lot of rules.  Perhaps the $300,000 plus the sails and rigging are in line with costs in 1968.  Seahusky, I like the "Longue Route" as a pilgrimage to honor those gone before.
Phantom Jim