Mid-course corrections

Started by LargoDrift, June 11, 2020, 12:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LargoDrift

The last few months of craziness in the world have brought some things into very sharp focus for me.  Time is chief among those things.  I'm sure I'll get roasted for it, but after much soul-searching I find myself deciding to forgo my build project and focus instead on refitting my Balboa 27 to get on the water much sooner (which oddly enough, was the original plan).  My hull was one of the 'outboard' versions, but she does have engine beds for a diesel.  I'm aware of the various viewpoints on diesel inboards vs. outboards on boats under 30ft.  But I'm also aware of the drawbacks of outboards and the range/efficiency a small diesel offers.  I'm strongly considering installing a small inboard diesel (already in my possession).  Would like to hear what folks here think.  The intended purpose of the boat is coastal cruising around the US for the next few years at least (making extensive use of the fact that she's a big trailer-sailer and easily launched), and then we'll see where we go after that.  I need her to be a comfortable, go-anywhere jeep and I'm doing an extensive refit to accomplish just that.  Any opinions on the aux power are appreciated from the experience here...

J. Andre

CharlieJ

the engine beds are there already and you have the engine?

GO for it
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

Outboards have a lot to recommend them for smaller boats.  Interior storage becomes a big factor for smaller boats and the presence of the inboard engine and all that is installed to support it diminish the usable space.

If time is of the essence, perhaps the outboard would be a quicker installation. Reports are that a 6 to 9 hp is more than sufficient.  Either option will work, though.

I appreciate inboard diesels installations, but the clean, spacious interior that an outboard would leave is very attractive.

Is it possible that you could do a cruise with an outboard to see if that would suit your expectations?

Phantom Jim

LargoDrift

That's exactly why I'm struggling with the decision, Jim.  To be clear on the time aspect, I expect the refit to still take the better part of a year to set her up like I want.  If I were looking for instant, I could put her back in as-is and she'd work pretty well already.  I do want to make some upgrades based on my living aboard her for several years, but a year of refit is far quicker to the water than a best-case 5-6 year boat build.  With no internal engine block, coupled with the redesign I'm doing around and underneath the companionway, having that space clear opens up a lot of storage that is easily accessible from inside the boat (fact, I can get to the entire stern area of the boat from inside without a big deal, assuming no internal motor).  Here's where the 'but' comes in... while my cruising will be as much sail as possible, I also love gunk-holing and poking around in hard to reach areas.  She only draws 2.5' with her centerboard up, so having a really efficient (and effective) aux-power setup is going to be key to how I use her.  One of the changes I'm looking at making to my current transom-stern is adding a small amount of structure to the transom to provide steps to water level and (inside those steps) either additional flotation or small tankage.  Doing that will obviously impact mounting for an outboard on the transom itself.  For an outboard, I would either have to build in a custom mount on the new transom structure or alternatively build in an outboard well on her centerline just forward of the transom-hung rudder (something I have previously considered, although wells have their drawbacks too).  I don't have any direct experience with outboard wells, so if anyone here does please chime in.  At the end of the day, I have 3 options: 1) Custom outboard mount built into my new stern structure, 2) Outboard well built into the boat centerline just forward of the transom/rudder, 3) Install internal diesel with folding prop.

LargoDrift

Quote from: CharlieJ on June 11, 2020, 12:19:02 AM
the engine beds are there already and you have the engine?

GO for it

I know, right?  The prop shaft is not installed, so I'd have to do the boring and find appropriate parts but I'm not worried about being able to do that.  The hull was laid up with the expectation that an internal block would be installed, so all the basic structure is there.  I guess what it comes down to is, which is more valuable.. 1) Lots of extra open space/storage, ease of engine access/replacement, dealing with gas storage or 2) Highly efficient and effective aux drive (and safety gains with diesel fuel over gas) but less storage.

Phantom Jim

Building an outboard well into a sailboat was discussed in two articles in Good Old Boat: September-October 2018 and November-December 2018.  Either look up these articles or contact me (jbshell@flash.net) and I will get you a copy of the articles.

If I remember correctly, the rudder attaches via a plug in the aft portion of the cockpit sole.  This may have been on the Balboa 26 and the Balboa 27 had a fully attached transom rudder.  The well makes perfect sense and would use a regular shaft outboard motor and be on the centerline.

All of your approaches look well thought out and all will work well. 

Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

in a small boat (or a larger one even)xtra space is ALWAYS nice.
My boat has a well for the outboard. I run an 8 HP Yamaha, which is great because the shifter is on the handle, so you don't need to reach. I have to bottom paint the lower unit since there' no room to tilt the engine.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

LargoDrift

I appreciate the responses.  I was just about to get a subscription to Good Old Boat, so I should be able to look up those articles once I do.  Thanks for that tip, Jim. And you are correct, the B27 has a fully transom-hung rudder.  I had already replaced the original with a RudderCraft kick-up unit (to take full advantage of her shallow draft).

Charlie, do you have any rough idea what sort of range (under average conditions) you'd be able to motor continuously with your setup on 5 gallons of fuel?

CharlieJ

running at the Start setting on the handle, I get about 15 mile per  gallon (statute miles-  in the intercoastal- every thing in the ICW is done statute) and about 5 mph. Hull speed is 5.6 mph on this boat. I can run from my marina in Port Lavaca, to Intercoastal City in Louisiana on about 12-15 gallons, give or take

Bear in mind- the Yamaha is a 4 stroke. Using my old 9 hp Evinrude 2 stroke, that  would be over double
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

LargoDrift

Right, understood on the 4 stroke.  That's about the only thing I'd install these days.  Thanks for the info.

Phantom Jim

After reviewing a line drawing of the Balboa 27 a couple of thoughts.  One: the well will occupy valuable space below. Two: there will be an appreciable loss of bouyancy at the stern.

The swing keel may be capable of being lifted high enough to expose the propeller to the bottom, not that this is much different than a outboard hung, or the rudder, from the stern.
Phantom Jim

LargoDrift

Jim, keep in mind the lines of the Balboa 26 are NOT the same as the 27.  Pardon the roughness of the sketchup, but I've outlined the integral keel and approximate location of the rudder when it's hung in red, and the blue is about where the outboard well would place the lower unit.  The Balboa 26 had an actual folding keel.  The 27 is an integral keel with a slot down the middle for a 600lb steel centerboard.  Most folks think the 27 is just a stretched 26, but the two boats have some significant differences.  Your comment about losing some space below is accurate, but the space I'd lose to a well is right at the transom and difficult to get to anyway.

Phantom Jim

This is certainly a different design from the Balboa 26.  An outboard well in the indicated position would probably cost about 0.5 cubic foot displacement.  If you can design a lifting arrangement so the lower shaft is not immersed all the time it should work nicely.  On the other hand, this will consume cockpit volume that would normally have the gas tank located in the aft area under the tiller.  Certainly a lot to think about.  Good luck and keep us posted.

As an alternative thought, any alteration in the nature of an outboard well may have a significant effect on the resale/value of the boat. 

Phantom Jim

LargoDrift

Point well-taken about the boat value.  But considering I bought her for just over $1K, the 2.5 years I spent living aboard her on the West Coast (as an experiment at the time) and the experiences that came of that have already more than repaid every penny I ever spent and then some.  I never thought I'd say a 27 footer was big enough to be comfortable on, but I was wrong. 

I'll keep you guys updated.  Given the feedback you all have provided and my own ruminations, I think an outboard well is currently at the top of the list.  Just need to finish getting the boat shed up and get some cover from the sun/rain.  Then get started on this and the other upgrades.

CapnK

I haven't seen a decent picture or line drawing of the cockpit of the 27. Is there a lazarette, or does the footwell go aft to within inches of the transom, or...?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

LargoDrift

The footwell does go all the way to the transom (or nearly so).  There is a fold-down seat across that section of the cockpit that almost never gets used except to step on, since the tiller sweeps that area when in-use.