Deep creek lock tender Robert Peek has passed.

Started by s/v Faith, October 02, 2020, 07:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Norman

Phil McCall and I met Robert  November 2018 when we put his new to him ComPac Pilot House 23 in service at Portsmouth, and motor sailed it to the Dismal Swamp Canal.  We passed through the canal locks, then the lift bridge southbound, then the next day, both northbound.

He was a very gregarious character, and if we had had more time, we would have visited for at least a cycle of openings, just to hear his tales.  He kept the facility in beautiful shape, the grass was well trimmed, there were no leaves around (we were there in February, but the oaks were still dropping leaves).  The weather was unseasonably warm, but the pilot house was welcome shelter at night and early morning.

Lock and bridge tenders have a generally poor image in the boating world, but he was an exception, partly because he did not interrupt any traffic to open the locks, and partly because the lift bridge had moderate traffic, and only opened for a very short time.

I have driven across that bridge twice.  The first time was 2000, returning up the coast from Florida, the second time, on my way south to Charlotte NC after transiting in the pilot house.  Aside for the bangity bang of the steel bridge plates, you do not notice that it is there, it is very short, I did not notice it in 2000!  Naturally, the second time,I was aware of it, and if rain had not been falling, we would have side tracked to meet Robert at the locks.

CharlieJ

I spent a Halloween night tied up, with friends in another boat,  there just before the locks and bridge, while on my trimaran. Amazingly enough, we had several trick or treaters stop by.

That would have been in the early  80's
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Norman

Charlie, Phil and I were tied to the bulkhead at the bridge Halloween night.  That was a blast, kids running all over the place, a couple of parents with small ones stopped to visit.

We had intended to anchor in a section with no houses around, but the soft muck was so deep we could not get any hold.  Not legal, to anchor, but there is no traffic at night, so.......We did intend to anchor well off the center so if any one did come along, they would not have any problem passing.  Beautiful place, half the leaves were off the trees, ducks everywhere, and the highway far enough away we would not have heard much traffic.

I had forgotten about Halloween there until you mentioned it.

CharlieJ

:) Had my then teen age son aboard and the other boat had two teens also. Was a fun night
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera