25' vs 30' - how big is the difference, really?

Started by CapnK, January 23, 2021, 12:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Looking at the Ariel in her slip next to the A-30, you can see the difference, but from only 1 perspective at a time, not overall. So I took drawings from online, scaled them the same relatively, and did some overlays. Pretty neat.

The first pair are from overhead, deck plan, and the second pair are profile views.

Each has first the Ariel centered on the A30, and then the second I've moved the Ariel aft enough to line up the companionway bulkhead. I figure this gives a better view comparison of 'liveable' space.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Norman

Kurt, the real number is very dramatic, the increase in length is 12%, and beam and height are the same increase.

Thus, the interior volume is 1.72 times as great in the 30 footer.  This is a huge gain in storage space, and comfort, with higher overhead, longer bunks, and more spacious dining facilities.

I have sailed on a 30 footer, 3 people, and the comparison to what I was accustomed to in my Mac 22, or Catalina 22 was amazing.  30 feet is comfort, and good meal prep space.  ;D

You should be heading south in the A 30, for warmer weather, instead of sticking it out at home port.  8)

CharlieJ

Agree with that Norman
n- south til the butter melts and STAY there :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

I'm throwing a Protest flag - no fair using the maths like that! It's like bringing a gun to my knife fight! ;D

Interesting figure, that. I mean, I can literally step off one boat and onto the other, and my gut, experiencing it, says that number has got to be darn close, if not spot-on. :)

More later. For right now, though, I have only one other thing to say:

***GO PACKERS!!!***

:D

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

w00dy

It's nice to have both visual and numerical representations of the scale. Very cool overlays, K. Now, can you do a 3 dimensional representation ? :)

CapnK

I am still in shock that we got beaten *again*, and are out of the Bowl, by those uppity upstarts that have barely even been a real NFL team for all that long...
I wouldn't have believed it, had I not seen in thru my own beer tears...  :'( :-\ >:(

Ah well, at least Sunday the 7th is a day I can freely dedicate to boat chores. :)
---

I do not yet have the skills to have mastered the 3rd dimension inside of a computer yet. That is one thing I have been wanting to learn, because apparently it is a fairly quick way to do so, via Sketchup. At least in a rudimentary way.
Maybe a an hour a day, alternate days, learning Sketchup and another spoken language, French or Spanish? Ought not to be hard to do that.

BTW - the Westy in my marina just sold. He started at $20K, last I saw was down to asking 12. Have not yet met new owner. Glad she's getting some attention. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)