News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Back in PNW

Started by Frank, November 13, 2020, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

With Covid making travel difficult at best, I’ve decided to arrive out here late but stay the winter. Will spend some time north in the Broughtons and Queen Charlotte Strait area before putting south to the Gulf islands. It won’t be the Abacos but it rarely freezes, gets to 40s and low 50s during the day and if...if it snows, melts quick. Compared to -30 and 5ft of snow back home irs relatively tropical.
I do love it out here.
Tim...
These are for you 🤣
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Frank

Tim

Thanks Frank   I am very saddened that I could not get up there this year, and although I don't blame you Canucks for keeping me out, it hurts. I am ready to move up there, actually I have started to look for a place on this side of the border.
I have been keeping myself busy building a little oar/sail John Welsford design, which should be ready to bring up there this next spring, hopefully by then I can cross the boarder. Have a great winter and post lots of photos.
BTW what are you in now?
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Launched at my place of storage...Cambell River. Great home port... cheap fuel, great place to provision etc.
Headed N through the Broughtons on to Port McNeil.
Just back at Cambell River for supplies etc.
Desolation Sound next....
It is beautiful up here.
I may head N once more...
Yes it’s colder BUT the mountains are all snow capped now and more beautiful!
Then...S to the Gulf Islands..

Jim_ME

Frank, there is something reassuring about you getting out there again, seeing more of the beautiful photos, and that life and cruising can go on--even in the midst of this unsettled time. Grog to you.  :)

Frank

Not much happening on the site so thought I’d post a few pictures of the last couple of weeks. I’m typically hauled out and stored here now but knowing I’d spend the winter here, I stayed home later and was glad I did. The fall leaves up home in mid September to October are amazing and I’d been missing them. Out here, late season up north is spectacular as most peaks become snow capped and much more beautiful than summer.
Thank goodness for a bus heater (like a car) underway and an Espar diesel heater for anchorages. The whales, seals, Porpoises and sea lions didn’t disappoint either.
I just putted down to Nanaimo... the top end of the Gulf islands (extension of USAs San Juan’s) and with no schedule, will explore these much better. While very nice... my heart is the North.
So... I’ll start back up in the Broughtons....

Frank

Last time in Broughtons... south bound...Discovery islands next, then Desolation Sound

Frank

Working down through the tidal rapids...
Had 2 female Orcas swim right at the boat... breached twice coming towards me and dove under. You see how close before the last dive...
males dorsal fin is much taller, about 5ft and more vertical...

Frank

View from Shoal Bay up Philips Arm is constantly changing with cloud and fog. The sea lion colony is still there on Jimmy Judd island right at Gillards rapids before the Yuckata rapids..
Made it back to Heriot Bay Inn marina. First marina in a while so had a few local brewed dark beer and a nice meal. The marina looked nice at dusk..

Frank

After my night of luxury, I planned on a trip to Desolation Sound in hopes of seeing the mountains with sow this late in the season. Awoke to fully overcast and rain as I I headed out. It’s a 4-1/2 hour run and the closer I got the more the clouds opened until right in Desolation Sound I was treated to this!  Was overwhelmed by the beauty and thanked the big guy. Hard not to feel blessed during those moments.. Nice nice anchored and awoke to overcast and fog. Not a mountain in sight as I carried on southbound.
Those magic moments...

Tim

Thank you so much Frank, now I can close my eyes and be there. Happy New Year, I am certainly looking forward to it and getting back on that water.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Hope all is well Tim and you’re making the best of things.
Currently in Maple Bay. With Covid spiking, thinking I’ll return northward sooner than planned..
Take care

Norman

::)  Frank, I envy your youth and vigor, as I remain off my boat.

Your pictures and descriptions are a very much enjoyed variation from being mostly home bound.  It has been over a year since my boat has been in the water, and two since I sailed in her.  Bah, Humbug.

Keep on doing what I would love to be doing, and I will share from my chair at home.

If it was not so cold, I suspect that Charlie Jones would like to be there too.

Norman

Frank

These are very different times...
No better place to self isolate
Thanks for the “youth and vigor” comment.
As I’ll soon be 64 I don’t get those often :)
Agreed that it would be a tad cool for CJ. Although the heater works well.
Take care Norman

CharlieJ

Yep- but you know how much I detest cold- under 70 is cold :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

So absolutely beautiful...

Frank, is fishing and shelling and such - ie 'living off the land water' possible up there? I imagine if there are oysters and mussels and such, that they would abound. Knowing what edible plants to grab near shore, there's probably a book with that sort of info. Looks like you'd hardly have to provision, if you worked at it a bit. Are the temps you mentioned highs or lows?

Amazing photos this trip!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Hi Kurt
Happy new year to ya!
Sounds like quite the meal! Enjoy it and your visit!
Fishing, especially in Desolation Sound northward is plentiful.
Rock cod are too easy, Ling cod are my favourite, red snapper (flouresant orange actually) are deep, kelp greenling look like trout and then salmon when running.
Ad huge prawns! Deep... good exercise pulling up traps and plentiful crab as well in shallower waters.
So...yep... if on a struck Budjet (ei minimalist) you could pack a 10lb bag of potatoes, 5lbs carrots, large bag of rice and go... don’t forget the rum 😄
Pics are
Red snapper and nice Ling cod
Crabs
Red snapper and rock cod
Red snapper

Frank

Oh ya....
Temps... in f

This is north in Port McNeil

Norman

Frank, sorry that you passed through chat when we were not there, we had a good one just a bit later. :(

Those fish look great! :)

Do you do any harvesting of the exposed sea life at low tide?  What about kelp, I understand that it is both good tasting and nourishing.

All those fish are making me hungry, think I will head for the kitchen. ;D

Thanks for the incredible pictures you post from up there.

Norman