News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Thanksgiving, 2020

Started by Norman, November 25, 2020, 07:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman

If you are reading this today, you have a lot to be thankful for.
The focus is always on the food, and it is the dominate point of discussion.  Family and friends are next, and we give thanks for the bounty of the year just past.

This year, it is all about Covid, 24 hours a day, whether we like it or not.

The majority of us have not lost any family, and for that we can be especially thankful.

This will be my 86th Thanksgiving, and there have been many worse ones.

The mid '30's depression, followed all too soon by the rationing of WW 2, and the death of my Father.

Every thanksgiving, we managed to have enough, and more.  Every thanksgiving, we celebrated 12 months that was better than it might have been, that we had more than some we knew.

85 years ago, one of the best things that happened was a neighbor, who owned 3 goats and some chickens, went on a long vacation, and asked Mother to milk the goats, and gather the eggs.  Dad was just picking up part time work here and there, truly, a great bounty at a time Mother could barely afford to buy milk or eggs.  Big plus, although my older sister refused the goats milk, I loved it.  Mom and Dad both liked it too, non went to waste.

Our neighbor's Uncle was living in an obsolete horse drawn ice delivery wagon.  4 feet wide, 5 tall, and 7 feet long.  Well insulated, but NO UTILITIES OF ANY KIND.  outhouse 50 feet away.  He was there for at least a year, alcoholics have a particularly hard time finding work in a deep depression.

1957 in Northern Italy, far from home, but there was no war there, the food was good,and plenty of it.
1958, Indian Town Gap Military Reservation, clearing unexploded projectiles, none blew while we were near them, nobody hurt.  The food was good, and plenty of it.

This has been an odd year, but I can fill a sheet of paper of the things that I have enjoyed, some that I would have missed in a 'normal' year.

This web site is one of the places I have spent more than usual time, and other sailing sites.
THANK YOU KURT!

Two flying web sites have taken a lot of my free time, too.

emails and phone calls to friends and relatives across the country, more than twice the norm.

In spite of the constant close living, my wife Shirley is still married to me, and we are even on speaking terms.

We both have good health, get out and walk or ride our bicycles on pleasant days, which have been abundant.  Food has not been a problem, and we have been in grocery stores about 7 times in the last 7 months.

After 3 changes of plan, we will share Thanksgiving with our older son, and his wife.  Plans set in stone this noon.  All the previous plans went out for various good reasons.  These days, if you are exposed, even just a short time, you should quarantine.

An odd year, to be sure, but for most of my family and friends, thankfully, a good one.

Norman, wishing all of you the very best of the compromises available this year.

Tim

Likewise Norman, thank you. I think all of us reading on this forum probably have plenty to be grateful for.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Cyric30

Norman,
Thank you for putting a bit of perspective on things for me, some times I, like some others, may forget the everyday blessing we have.  So thank you.

CharlieJ

I said something to you on another forum, but again- have a great Turkey day, bo0th you and Shirley. I guess we'll skip  the chat tomorrow night, unless everyone is bored :)

Wish I was near enough to any family to join them, but I'm not. So I'll have the day alone. Thinking that frozen lasagna will do for dinner :)

Hope all the rest of you folks have a safe and enjoyable day
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jotruk

I hope that you and yours have a great  and safe Thanksgiving
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

w00dy

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I'm thankful for Kurt for giving us a forum to use all these years. I'm also grateful for everyone here who has contributed to make it what it is.

I'm especially glad that I have gotten to meet and know so many of you, over the years. I'm looking forward to being able to the time when we can rendezvous, gather together and celebrate in person!

s/v Faith

Indeed, much to be thankful for.  ;D

Happy thanksgiving to all!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Jim_ME

As the day is coming to an end, hoping that you all and yours had a happy Thanksgiving.

That is quite an interesting history, Norman.

Quote from: w00dy on November 26, 2020, 01:01:04 PM
I'm especially glad that I have gotten to meet and know so many of you, over the years. I'm looking forward to being able to the time when we can rendezvous, gather together and celebrate in person!
Same here, Woody.