Living Aboard - Evaluation of the First Week

Started by Captain Smollett, November 09, 2008, 05:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Well, SailFar-ers, the crew of Gaelic Sea have survived the first week of life aboard.  There are pros and cons, and while I won't go into TOO much detail here, I thought I'd share some thoughts for those contemplating moving aboard but have not yet done so.

For those with liveaboard experience, feel free to chime in and correct me! 

Stats:

The Crew: Two adults, two children (current ages 3 and 6) and one cat.
The Boat: 1972 Alberg 30 needing a fair amount of work
The Locale: Marina on a NC Coastal River

(1) The children are pretty resilient.  They pretty much sleep and play where ever they are.  They've yet to say, "okay, I'm ready to go home now."

(2) Life without running hot and cold water is interesting.  We've been avid campers for years, but that was always 'just for fun.'  Now, it's a way of daily life.  We mostly notice it at dishes time, since we no longer have a dishwashing appliance!

(3) This marina has only two showers, so the 'scheduling' with the other 40 some-odd liveaboards can get....interesting.  Unfortunately, the showers open off the Captain's Lounge, as do the bathrooms.  So, pretty much everyone always knows your 'business.'  Privacy is something we are learning to guard and cultivate.

(4) Marina liveaboards run the gamut...an interesting lot to say the least.  We have everything from professionals to down-on-their luck folks looking for work, blue collar, white collar, etc.  Everyone seems friendly.  The children have made friends with just about everybody and know everyone by name already.  The adults are not as good with names, and find it only slightly embarrassing to ask our 6 year old "what is his name" as we walk back to the dock.

(5) I'm not sure why we use the term "simplicity' to describe a 'simpler' lifestyle.  It's not really SIMPLE, now is it?  Simple = More Work.  I mentioned above the issue with washing dishes (in the cockpit with a plastic pan...I'll get the galley sink drain fixed soon). 

There's also the daily shuttle up to the clubhouse to get (free, thankfully) ice.  We had worked out a plan to make block ice, but alas, that plan did not pan out in practice (yet, we have not abandoned it completely).  No fridge sounds "simpler" but it means more work.   ;)

I do have my tongue in cheek a bit, as I realize that "simpler" refers to the spiritual more than the physical.  This is just something I thought of the other day, mostly in regard to the ice thing and thinking about life on the prairie 150 or so years ago.

(6) Probably the 'hardest' time is the early, early am when one (or both) of the children wants to go to the bathroom and Mom and Dad really, REALLY want to stay in bed a bit longer.  At the house, we could just say, "well go." Not here.

(7) My wife, who loves to cook really great meals, is adapting well to the one-to-two pot, no leftover meal plan.  We've had some good dinners aboard the past few days.  Tonight, I think it's grilled pork chops.

( 8 ) We still have a lot, a LOT, of organizing to do to get our routine down.  But we are getting there.  We've already even thrown away some stuff we bothered to move.   ;D

(9) Two and half days of rain right when you move aboard stinks.  We've come to dislike rain, the prospect of rain, the threat of rain, the idea of rain.  Actually, we don't hate it that bad, but it IS different dealing with it in this 'lifestyle' than living in a house.  Again, with camping, rain was not problem because one knows at some level it is temporary.  Now, you look out and think, "every time it rains, this is our LIFE."  I think the absence of 'reprieve' or something is what I am getting at.

(10) In a nutshell, we have learned, internalized, something we knew instinctively before doing this.  The key is to GET OFF THE BOAT, especially in regard to keeping sane with the children. 

We have three nice parks within about a 10 minute drive, one State Rec area (with beach and camping) within about 20 minutes, and two ocean beaches about an hour way (by car).  There's plenty to do to keep them busy for those times when we cannot cruise by boat.

That said, there's a TON of cruising here.  We took a car trip to Beaufort yesterday, and we are already planning a weekend down there for a boat trip.  Ocracoke is do-able in a three day weekend, which we'll get once a month or so.  Lots of other cool cruising within that three day window, too.

Today, I asked my wife "Well, one week down.  Can we make it a year?" 

Her answer: "One day a time.  The way to look at it is one week down, only 51 to go to make it a year.  We can do it."

I guess that's the attitude that wins the day.

Fair Winds, All.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Thanks for the honest update. ;) Keep up a sence of humour and all those 'routines' will begin to feel normal. Have fun
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

nowell

Wow, sounds great! Grog for making it happen, and your wife's wonderful comment and support! Sounds like you have a great/supportive family too! A step closer to your dream!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

CharlieJ

Kewl John- you guys will fit everything in in a short while.

One point #2- get yourself a hot pot- one of those large thermos things with the pump on top. And for coffee, we've changed over to some Bodun one cup french presses. Those pump pots will keep water hot for a LONG time. We just heat extra in the morning, then fill the pot ( or large thermos which is what we use) - then you have a supply of hot water for a good while- even for washing kids faces.

Your wife has the right attitude seems like;D

Best of luck
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

thistlecap

Aaah, you're making me green with envy.  I'd say living aboard was the greatest gift we ever gave our kids growing up.  It's really great for them.  You've already learned about getting them (and yourselves)off the boat, and that they will be your best ambassadors and social directors.  Explore new experiences they can take part in--a day on a shrimper, visit boatbuilders and sail lofts, how things are made, clamming, collecting mussels.  We put the kids into Calvert School for home schooling.  Another important thing is to keep the boat ready to sail at a minutes notice--avoid the potted plants and other things not meant to be on a vessel at sea.  The biggest enemies of liveaboards are docking lines.  They become permanent.  Get out and sail.  Two important things are avoiding clutter---a place for everything and everything in its place, and respecting each others privacy.  Many people think a boat shrinks with time.  We actually found it grew somewhat as we became more comfortable.  Instead of bumping into each other (there were my wife and I and three kids on a 35ft. boat), it seemed we became more in harmony with each other.  Get the kids comfortable with boat safety and handling skills so they can handle the dinghy alone.  In another year, the 6 year old should be rowing you ashore.  Living aboard in the VI was easy, but wintering over in Lewes, DE, presented some interesting issues.  Even then, nature gave us interesting rewards, like the sea otters coming on deck every morning to peek through the ports to watch us dress and have breakfast.  Live in the moment, keep it simple, and treasure the experience.

AdriftAtSea

If you get a pump-top thermos...make sure it is well secured, since most aren't spill proof...and if they tip... you'll have really hot water pouring out.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Marc

I was thinking of moving to Tevas to live aboard my boat.  But...I'm now leaning toward next spring and drive over to the Chicago area park the truck, and just sail away!!!  With wife and 12 yr oold daughter who is very outdoorsy,  not so much on the water, but I think she could handle it.  My wife on the other hand is whom I'm worried about, (doctors and that sort of thing).  Who knows, we may even make it to NYC!  My boat WILL be redy by next early spring, sell the house and just go.  Another thought is Beuafort N.C. for the scoot.  I'm on the list and the wife has succumbed to my passions.  I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS!!!  Venture242  24'7"loa by 7'11' beam.  What does everyone think?  Am I nuts or just desperate?  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Grime

Marc,

I to want to liveaboard. Lisa is not at all wanting to do this. If the wife is not totally ready to liveaboard you might be living aboard by yourself.

I would think that a 24' boat would be to small for the three of you. Your daughter will want her privacy more now and years to come that when she was little. What are you going to do in a rain storm when she says Daddy you need to go out side. Mom and I need to talk. I think you know what I mean.

If there is any way you could take the summer and just cruise. By summers end you will know if they are up to living aboard.

Fair winds and I hope your dream come true.
David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Manannan

thanks for the update.
By making it simple, we do not make it easy for our day to day life, but we satisfy and ease our mind. It requires a lot more effort and sometimes pain to do with less of course. And as a long term lived aboard (different boats, different places, on the move, or not) I admire you making the big move with two young kids at the  beginning of winter.  As you will overcome in time all the little and bigger trials of life aboard, you will experience a real pride of being self sufficient, more in control of your daily life, free to move if you wish and not in need of all the superfluous that modern society imposes on us. It requires effort for just daily chores we never consider a big deal before. Time, effort suddenly has a meaning, a purpose for just surviving. We find ressources in us we never thought we had.  It is the true freedom, not being in need anymore of anything that can tie us down. Simplifying is not going back the old ways. Though, in a boat it is not that bad, considering... imagine living in a house in winter with no water, no electricity, no toilets. Have to go break the ice to get to a well, maintain  the fire in the fireplaces, light half a dozen of lamps and candles in each room.. :). outdoor smelly toilets.  Why do we do that on a boat ? because it is easier, we can handle it, it is not such a big sacrifice and it is manageable to live without some conveniences and it gives the immense satisfaction to be self sufficient, in control of our life and moves. The nomad in us is plenty satisfied then. Some purists will say, why having a sink and an additional hole in the hull for the drain,  just take a bucket, a pan and do dishes in the cockpit.....that simplifying isn't it, ? simplifying what ? the boat or your life ? Well let them have that, and enjoy your drain when it will be fixed !!! What you can bear for a weekend or a few weeks a year, can be fun, but on the long run, it can spoil your life too... Living aboard makes you appreciate all the little things that you took for granted before and also makes you realize you can do without probably 80% of them. But that does not mean living a spartan life either, indulging in some little confort is very nice too, if it is only a good reading light, a good heater, for some it could be a fridge, other a TV screen, hot water, a good waterproof dodger,  ;D..because yes... rain is heck and when it is cold icy rain it is double heck ! I hope the showers and toilets are not too far from you. Living in a marina can be a real challenge, harbor masters often are little dictators.... but as long as you have good neighbors, it is OK... Let your kids do the PR.

Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

skylark

Thanks for the report, will be eagerly waiting for more news!
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Oldrig

Thanks for posting this wonderful report on your liveaboard progress.

It's wonderful to be able to bring your family--and pet--onto a boat. Please send further updates as your adventure progresses.

I'm a great vicarious follower of liveaboards and world cruisers--knowing that I would never choose that dream over my 25 years of marriage to a wonderful woman who simply doesn't understand the cosmic significance of sailing.

Green with envy,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Pappy Jack

Hey John,

Congratulations on your "BIG" move. It's a dream that I've had for way way too long. There was always something getting in the way of it happing but I'm sooo happy that somebody  is able to do it.

The only proviso I have to give you is when the kids hit "THAT AGE" :o. When our kids turned into teenagers, our sailing days dried up to about zilch. They didn't want to go sailing with the "OLD" people. They had more important thing to do and we just didn't dare leave them at home(they have very creative minds, if you know what I mean ::)). You might want to get a bigger boat at that time but YMMV.

All I can say is that I'm green with envy and wish you all the luck and, oh ya, keep us up to date...and pics would be nice to ;D.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

Captain Smollett

To All: Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  Things get "odd" from time to time, but as I think about it, the challenges are no more than shore-based living in a house....just different.  It seems largely about comfort level with what we take to be "routine."

To CJ:  Thanks for the suggestion on the pumpable thermos.  We have a couple of regular thermoses, but have not been using them (yet).  I like the idea of the pump one for plain hot water.

To Thistlecap:  Thanks for the post!  Cool stuff, and lots of good stuff children-related.  My daughter mentioned yesterday "I like living here better than SC...we are doing more."  In the house, it was all too easy to be 'lazy;'  too many creature comforts, etc, if that's the right way to put it.

Plus, they are getting an education just being here at the marina!  Being outside more (for example, just for potty runs), they are seeing a lot more.  Daughter saw an otter the other day, and it had just consumed a bird on the dock.  Quite bloody, so for days now, it has been a "game" (for both children) to see if the blood was still on the dock.  Tonight, daughter saw a tiny frog on the sidewalk, and she was amazed as this was the smallest frog she'd ever seen.  Cool stuff.

To Manannan:  Good points!  I had just found myself pondering the way we use the phrase "simple life."  It has some romantic attachment to it, I think.  Reality is a bit different from the connotative instinct we attach to the idea of simpler life, but not in a bad way at all.  I guess "simpler" is easier to say than something cumbersome like "more connected to daily process" or some such philosophical musing.

We're getting there, slowly but surely.  We've missed going out on some beautiful sailing days this week (and hey, this really is a sailing town, hardly a day goes by I don't see at LEAST one boat sailing out on the river), but we are still trying to get stuff stowed.

We'll untie the docklines SOON and go explore our new surroundings.  "The biggest enemy is docklines" is a great phrase to keep in mind, and I mentioned that one to my wife.

Peace all, and thanks again for the encouragement!

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Gerald A. Gotts

Captain , You sound as if you are having a wonderful time!  I have  recently obtained a 27 ft. Bristol and am dreaming of the day when I'm able to sever the dock lines.  For now I'm living at the Marina and I have not had so much fun since college dorm. days many years ago.  I am  in the Crystal River , Florida area .  I plan on lots of day sails of course along with a few o'nighters and then off to the Bahamas and then..........
     I hope you will continue to inform all of us about your antics..er adventures.....er  anyway please let us know how you are coming along.
     I am a new sailor and am eager to learn as much as I can about this wonderful lifestyle.
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

Auspicious

John,

Good one you.

With regard to going sailing - one of the things that works for me is a self-imposed 30 minute rule. The idea is to never let the boat get in a state in which it takes more than 30 minutes to be off the dock and away.

For me, I've found keeping things ready to go is easier (and more prone to sailing) than cleaning up. There is so little space that it gets cluttered quickly if I don't stay on top.

Looking around the boat as I type, I think I could be away in 15 minutes. Maybe I'll just go sailing ...

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

newt

Captain,
Just a quick question- how hard would it be to get a Porta-potti on the boat? I put one on my Compac last spring and they have really improved- up to about 30 flushes before full- and the chemicals that you put in make it not stink. And I think I got mine through Boaters World for about 80 bucks.
I'm just thinking, what are you going to do when those kids have to go and your still in the bay, or at least not outside the dump limit? Maybe getting them used to a PP now will make things simpler later. Just an idea.
And perhaps a tub big enough for a bath in ;D
Been there, done that.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Captain Smollett

The boat has a head, and we DO use it occasionally.  Just trying to avoid filling the holding tank 'unnecessarily' when there's a perfectly good "I don't have to mess with it" facility a few minute walk away.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Finally got around to untying the dock lines today.  Short time out, but an important one.  Like John Madden often says, it's the first "points" that are the hardest.   ;D

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.  We have found we have TONS to be thankful for...and try to say so every day.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on November 26, 2008, 08:46:25 PM
Finally got around to untying the dock lines today.  Short time out, but an important one.  Like John Madden often says, it's the first "points" that are the hardest.   ;D

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.  We have found we have TONS to be thankful for...and try to say so every day.

Glad to hear you got out.  How long did it take to get ready?  Getting underway was a differnt game when we were living aboard.  Little stuff like the galley ware, and all the little every day trappings of life.

OTOH, who is this 'Madden' guy?  Must be a big boat sailor or something....  I never heard of him....  8)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.