Why we're still in Texas

Started by CharlieJ, March 22, 2011, 11:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Some while ago I promised to do the repairs on a 34 foot Norm Cross designed trimaran that had been damaged in Hurricane Ike. Took several years to track down the correct plans with the correct table of offsets. Finally got 'em.

The techniques are the same as I used to build my 35 foot Cross tri, so I'm probably the only person around close who knows the technique. This boat is across the street and two doors down from our house (and my shop).

One side of one ama was pretty much totally destroyed on the outer hull side. Interior was not badly damaged. Almost all of the frames were broken (11 out of 12)

On Saturday we started work. Here's our progress as of yesterday evening

Day one- make test frame from thin scrap ply to insure we really DID have the correct measurements. Clean out hull interior, make real frame and glue it in.

Day 2- lay out, cut out and fit more frames

Day 3-The hull and stringers amidships had been severely damaged, so we had to lay in sister stringers.

The damaged area-

and the new stringers sistered in. Note that they span several frame spaces. What doesn't show is the wires run through the hull skin and twisted to hold the stringers tight against the planking til the epoxy cured.

Today we repaired the break in the keelson, by fitting a new section in and gluing a new strip over the top. Pics tomorrow. We also cut away more damaged hull aft and cut one new frame. Moving a little slower now because we are having to take out twist in the hull aft before we can go further in framing.

We also couldn't put in the one frame gap til the hull planking and keelson were repaired.

More frames (and more pics) tomorrow
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Wow, Charlie and Laura!  Impressive.

And here I thought my repairs were big jobs.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

j d

Yes, a very impressive undertaking.

I had the pleasure of meeting Norman Cross in his home in SD back around 78 or so when I was wanting to build a trimaran. I'm sure he knew I was pore as a church mouse and far from being ready to build a boat but he graciously gave me  some of his time anyway.
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27
Presently berthed in Antioch, CA
exploring the Delta and bay

CharlieJ

Here's part two-

Yesterday I repaired the break in the keelson, by graving in a missing section, then screwing an additional layer over the whole thing. We also added some sister stringers back aft. Here's the break in the keelson before repairs

and here's the new wood, before fairing down

and after

As I said yesterday, we had to shore up the inner side of the hull to force it back into alignment- it's been sagging for a long time. Here's some of the shoring

Today we laid out, cut out and installed all but one of the remaining frames. That one is just forward of the transom and there is further keelson damage there we'll have to deal with.

Here's what it looks like now

and this pic, just for fun ;)

Tomorrow I'll be cutting and scarfing stringers. I hope to be installing the stringers by Saturday.

And Laura will be out sailing. :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

JWalker

wow. that looks like fun....i mean not as much fun as sitting in rush hour traffic...but more fun than going to the dentist!

Captain Smollett

Hey, Charlie, I remain amazed.  That's just such a neat project.

Here's some of my own recent wood butchering, though NOWHERE in the same league as what you are doing.

I had a spare 17" wide mahogany plank, so I decided to make new coamings.  Here's the plank with the coamings laid out and beginning the first cut:

And the two coamings rough cut:

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Here's part three-

Day 9-

I had planned to be installing stringers by Saturday (day 8 ) but when we removed the hull skin aft we found keelson damage where they picked the boat up after Ike. So it took an extra day to repair that and install the remaining frames. Also epoxy coated all the exposed wood, since we expected some light showers. We also made the stringers-

Here's some 35 foot long stringers, almost ready to install

and today we began installing them. Here's the sheer stringer and the wing deck stringer in place. Had a few showers today, which slowed us somewhat.

Should finish installing the stringers tomorrow, then off to Houston to purchase a quantity of 3mm Okume for the diagonal planking.

Hope to have it all done in another 10 days or so.

Then we'll make it back to Tehani. ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 27, 2011, 11:31:49 PM

Hope to have it all done in another 10 days or so.

Then we'll make it back to Tehani. ;D

No rush.

In the 40's today and RAINING.  Nasty bit o weather.  Was below freezing night before last.   ::)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

CharlieJ

Yeah, talked to Graham just about an hour ago. Carla day before yesterday. So I know :D :D

We had a pretty good rain last night too, and it's chilly this morning-sweat shirt chilly anyway-North winds 18, gusting 22 and it's only 59 degrees. ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

OK, here's part four.

Getting tired of these yet? Starting to get tired of the project myself, but---

As of day 14 (yesterday) we started planking-

and today we finished the first layer. Two to go, then glassing. Not to shabby for a 65 year old recovering from cancer surgery ( the owner) and a 70 year old (me) if I do say so myself

That layer is 5 sheets of 3mm Okume plywood. Each strip is about 8 inches wide. The strips laying in front are all epoxy coated, ready to go on tomorrow.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

CJ.....I thought you were "retired" from big projects???  Hard to say "NO" sometimes eh  ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Frank- this job had already been promised. Took the owner three years to locate the correct plans with the correct table of offsets, so we could make the new frames.

If I hadn't promised to do it, I wouldn't be involved. But I'm probably the only builder around who had experience in diagonal planking, AND with a Cross trimaran.  I built my 35 foot Cross like this.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

There's no doubt that you'll handle it well. Probably fun if the owner is working with you (and a nice guy). It'll be rewarding to see it come together. Enjoy yourself!! Lookin great.

CharlieJ

More on the repair job.

We now have the second layer of planking installed. Most may not know, but each plank must be spiled to fit against the edge of the preceding plank. Like staves in a barrel, because of the curvature of the hull. This is done with a block plane, fitting down the plank as you go. There are about 35 planks per layer.

That's the owner looking on as I cut the edge. He's learned to do it and has been doing a good job since.

And here's what it looks like half way done

And that layer all finished, ready for the third.

The third layer progresses a bit slower, since all the staples get removed on this one.

Here's the owner and his wife stapling a plank in place-

We size the staples to go through three layers, but not four, then use strips of wood under the staples, so they can be more easily removed.

And here's where we are as of this afternoon. As you can see, the staples have been pulled from the forward section.

Oh, and all those points will be cut off at the end. Easier to just run them past the edge and cut all at once

Once this layer is complete, we'll epoxy coat, then a light sanding of the surface, a shaping of the keel line and deck edge so it's all smooth and the now 9 MM thick hull will be ready for a layer of 10 oz glass cloth.

Hopefully by Saturday or Sunday, if this WIND WILL QUIT!!!! Gonna be hard to glass outside in winds gusting close to 25 mph.

Meanwhile, I've been busy repairing a damaged section on the inner side of the hull (ama), but that's a whole other story

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

That's quite the project CJ.  Looking good..."you da man"

Jim_ME

CharlieJ

Closing in on completion.

Got the last planking done at the transom

And the owner and wife installing the very last plank needed, at bow. The one we've been looking for!!!!

14 feet of new deck installed, replacing damaged edge.

And yours truly, laying down on the job

Actually the lounge chair worked very well. I had 32 feet of keel to shape, with the new planking sticking past the old. Saved LOTS of grief for my back  :D

Glassing has begun- final pics later in the week.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Final installment. four weeks to the day after beginning. ;)

Glassing, here showing the fiberglass tape epoxied to all edges- deck and keelson

and wide fiber glass applied to the hull side. It was VERY windy so we glassed in 60 inch wide vertical strips, taped and weighted up top, then draped and epoxied.

and here wrapped around the transom.The tape holds it in place until the epoxy cures. Bricks also ;)

And here's what it looks like with fill coats all applied, ready for final sanding and paint.

and now my job here is done. We can concentrate on getting our stuff together, ready to head back to Tehani, right after May 1st.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Wow that is beautiful work!

Thanks for posting the pictures, enjoy the resumption of your trip!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Capt. Tony

Jeez!  You make it look so simple and effortless, Charlie.  I can see the headline already,"Man Builds Boat While In Lawnchair!". ;D  Lucky man.  If I possessed your skill sets I would be building my own boat right now.  So I guess that kind of makes you a dangerous man...  Thanks for the expos'e.