News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Long Term Anchoring vs "Mooring"

Started by Captain Smollett, May 19, 2011, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

This is split off from another thread.  Jim_ME, these comments are not directed at you.  I've been thinking about a thread like this for a while.

On the one hand, I hate to start would is essentially another "anchoring" thread, but I think this one merits some discussion.

I'm talking about solutions to leaving the boat 'long term,' and perhaps while you are a long distance away.

There are two schools of thought:

(1) Single, very heavy anchor; this is usually termed "mooring."

(2) Multiple (2-3) lighter anchors; this is often called "anchoring," also has names like "Bahamian Mooring" and "Star Mooring."

I'm in Camp II for several reasons.  One is that I've tried it and I have faith in it...the voice of "experience."  The second is, and why I tried it in the first place, it has proponents of the likes of Lin and Larry Pardey, Eric Hiscock and comes recommended in Chapman's.

While doing my 'due diligence' on this type of mooring setup, I read in Chapman's the story of a major storm in New York Harbor.  Every boat on a single heavy mooring anchor drug their moorings; every boat on a 'Star Mooring' comprised of three lighter anchors did not.  That does not prove the Star is better in every instance, but I began to see a pattern of success using multiple lighter anchors.

Finally, I found the instance of a boat that road out a hurricane in the Bahamas with a three anchor Star Mooring.  I was convinced.  This was the system for me.

The point of this thread:

I do perceive a 'bias' against this type of 'mooring system.'  There is a very clear "conventional wisdom" that single, ultra-heavy anchors (like mushrooms) are for some reason better.  The track record of multiple anchors in a mooring system, even if those anchors are lighter than so-called "mooring anchors," suggests it is at least just as effective as a single, heavy mooring anchor.

This site is premised on challenging conventional wisdom in the small boat community.  I've run into a "use a PROPER mooring and stop playing with toys" mentality on at least three different sailing web sites over a period of the past 3 years or so.

The term "proper mooring" seems common in these discussions, and suggests anything else is "improper" or substandard in some way.  That mentality is not supported by the FACTS associated with one mooring system vs the other, and seems to me to be driven by psychology:

(1) Historically, anchors needed to be heavy to be effective.  So, if one needs to be "moored," one needs a really heavy anchor.

(2) Anchoring itself seems to conjure certain fears in the minds of many sailors.  If I say I am 'anchored' instead of 'moored,' there seems to be a reaction that my boat is somehow less secure.  Many sailors on several forums have said they would not leave their boat unattended "at anchor."  Leaving the boat is for moorings and slips at marinas.  My comments are my own observations based on multiple online and face-to-face discussions.

(3) Lack of understanding the multiple anchor system, how it is laid and how it works to achieve the goal of staying put seems a common thread as well.  The traditional mooring used mostly simple weight, which is easy to understand.  It's easy to make a chart of "this boat needs this weight mooring anchor."  Those charts are embedded in the collective minds of every sailor who has read one...that is what is "needed" to moor the boat safely.

Importantly, this psychology plays into the minds of local regulators and enforcers of 'mooring fields.'  Coupled with the fact that a "mooring" is in place and becomes a commodity, it is easier to control, to regulate, to own.  Truthfully, this is an idea that is foreign to me personally because we don't have many such mooring fields in this area.  We do have anchorages, and people do leave their boats "at anchor" for long-term...that's long term and unattended.  They are effectively "moored."

It's another fascinating aspect of boating...the LOCAL cultures that develop.  Here on the East Coast of the United States, we have at least three distinct 'anchoring' cultures:  Floridas mooring fields with anchorages 'just ouside them,' mid-Atlantic area without 'moorings' in general (though some talk of putting them in) but well-known, semi-designated anchorages and the North East with true mooring fields.  I may have this oversimplified a bit, but I have noticed MOST of resistance I've gotten from other boaters in regard to multi-anchor 'mooring' has come from New Englanders where the mooring seems, to me at least, to be a piece of property.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Oldrig

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 19, 2011, 08:35:10 AM
I have noticed MOST of resistance I've gotten from other boaters in regard to multi-anchor 'mooring' has come from New Englanders where the mooring seems, to me at least, to be a piece of property.

Smollett,

I can't speak for all of us in Yankeeland, but the Cape Cod town where I am privileged to have a resident mooring permit has very strict standards for how and where a mooring can be placed. Because my boat is of a certain size, it MUST be moored to a mushroom anchor (or augur screw) of a certain weight, with a chain of a certain size and length, a buoy of a certain size and color, etc.

A so-called "star mooring," or even a Bahamanian mooring would not be legal as a permanent installation in this particular municipality, because it would take up too much room on the bottom and would further limit the amount of bottom space available for other moorings. I suspect that similar situations exist in most other communities in the Northeast.

While I own the tackle--making it "property" I suppose--I have to renew my mooring permit (it expires on Dec. 31, when the boat is out of the water) every year. Renewal is only allowed after I've paid the local excise tax on my boat.

The fees involved are quite minimal, because my boat, built in 1982, is now taxed at the lowest possible rate for a vessel of its size and age, and because, as a property owner in the town, I get to pay the resident's rate.

In most of New England--except Maine--permanent mooring space is a scarce commodity. There are more boats than there is space, which is why many powerboats are now using dry rack storage. This means that most communities--including my own--have waiting lists for private mooring permits.

At one time, some communities allowed moorings to be transferred within families. But, in Massachusetts at least, that practice is now forbidden. Luckily I took over my Dad's permit when he was still in his 70s, and transfers were still legal. (He turns 91 next month.) I once asked the lady at the local DNR office what would happen nowadays if my father were to pass, and she replied, "You'd go to the bottom of the list, along with everybody else."

I once wrote a lengthy report for my former magazine called "So Many Boats, So Little Space." The story opened with a brief interview with a guy in his mid-30s whose father had put his name on the waiting list for a mooring when he was two years old. When he finally got his spot he was living in a different community and no longer owned a boat. He said he was going to buy a boat, so he would be able to use this mooring and let his kids enjoy the water. This situation is not uncommon.

Most boat owners in this area cannot get private permits--so they rent slips or moorings from marinas, boat yards or yacht clubs. My resident's fee is less than $100; the local marinas rent them for anywhere from $1,200 to $2,500 and up a season.

Sorry for the long explanation. But that's mostly why we don't have "star" moorings up here in the frozen north.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Oldrig on May 19, 2011, 12:44:40 PM

the Cape Cod town where I am privileged to have a resident mooring permit has very strict standards for how and where a mooring can be placed. Because my boat is of a certain size, it MUST be moored to a mushroom anchor (or augur screw) of a certain weight, with a chain of a certain size and length, a buoy of a certain size and color, etc.

A so-called "star mooring," or even a Bahamanian mooring would not be legal as a permanent installation in this particular municipality
, because it would take up too much room on the bottom and would further limit the amount of bottom space available for other moorings. I suspect that similar situations exist in most other communities in the Northeast.

Joe, thanks for the discussion.

Okay, the town regulates what you can have, but my point is that from your own words, this has NOTHING to do with security of the anchoring system.

Taking up room on the bottom is an excellent point, and one well taken.  In the situation that you describe, a single heavy anchor is the best tool for that job.

The problem is that this "attitude" (for lack of a better word) permeates beyond that particular mooring situation.  I'm not using hyperbole when I say that I've been told that 'single heavy' is the ONLY way to PROPERLY construct a mooring,  It is that statement as an absolute that is the problem (in my mind)...the mindset that "our town tells us this is how a mooring has to be in OUR TOWN" so this must be true EVERYWHERE...

And the assumption that that is because it is the ONLY one that is safe to use.  No; it's regulated that way for a completely different reason (and one that makes sense...THERE) that has nothing to do with safety, security or holding.  It's a "get the most boats in the smallest available space" issue, which by extension can be seen as a 'get the most permit fees as revenue' approach.  No problem with that, business is business, but the extrapolation of safety is completely unfounded.

The shame in this is that for those that do make this extrapolation...only single heavy anchors make a mooring...they are self-limiting in their cruising options.  For areas where "anchoring" is okay, that is "non-fee-producing-permit-only-mooring-fields," leaving ones boat on a self-constructed Star or Bahamian mooring is a viable, affordable option that works.

I've left my boat unattended for 5 months (not by choice, but it happened), and the Pardey's "routinely" do it for 6 months or more at a stretch.  For someone that wants to cruise "far," as sailfar members typically do, this is ONE WAY to approach the logistical problems of being "far."  You can leave the boat to return home (for any reason, work, family emergency, etc).

It opens up a LOT of doors and options to the sailfar cruiser/voyager.  An option for Massachusetts?  Apparently not, but that's okay.    One simply needs to make other arrangements to leave a boat there.

But for many other parts of the country, and indeed the world, 'self-mooring' with available gear carried aboard for "regular" anchoring is an option.  And to me at least, an attractive one.

Question about the 'in place' moorings, such as those owned by marinas and the like.  Who inspects them? How often?

If I visit such a location and rent a mooring, say for a week or even a month, when I "sign the paper," do I get some documentation telling me the last time my assigned mooring was inspected, by who and that it is "certified" for use for my vessel?

Who accepts responsibility if my vessel is damaged because my mooring fails, or perhaps one nearby (boat drags into me)?

I really need to understand how all this works up there, because we would like to head that way at some point (probably to visit, not to live).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Oldrig

Smollett:

I was just trying to explain why so many New Englanders rely on single, heavy moorings.

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 19, 2011, 01:36:39 PM
I'm not using hyperbole when I say that I've been told that 'single heavy' is the ONLY way to PROPERLY construct a mooring.

Folks who believe that their way is the ONLY way are usually either full of themselves or limited in their experiences. Of course, there are other ways of mooring a boat.

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 19, 2011, 01:36:39 PMFor areas where "anchoring" is okay, that is "non-fee-producing-permit-only-mooring-fields," leaving ones boat on a self-constructed Star or Bahamian mooring is a viable, affordable option that works.

Of course it is. I've heard of boats riding out hurricane-force winds using a star mooring.

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 19, 2011, 01:36:39 PMBut for many other parts of the country, and indeed the world, 'self-mooring' with available gear carried aboard for "regular" anchoring is an option.  And to me at least, an attractive one.

No argument there. In fact, if I were leading the cruising life, I'd probably want to carry enough ground tackle to do just that.

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 19, 2011, 01:36:39 PMQuestion about the 'in place' moorings, such as those owned by marinas and the like.  Who inspects them? How often?

Well, speaking for my town, at least, all moorings have to be inspected every three years and, I think, the shackles have to be replaced at that time. The inspection fees are sort of a "local full-employment program," as the licensed mooring contractors all seem to be descended from the guys who have always done this in town. I do know folks who service their own moorings, but they still have to get them inspected by the license-holders. Sure, it's a racket--but it also makes sense to inspect moorings at regular intervals.

I believe that commercial mooring-field operators are supposed to be inspected annually. But, knowing the way things work in town, I'd say that the operators probably inspect their own work. We all know how self-regulation works.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Oldrig on May 19, 2011, 03:00:51 PM

Hope this answers some of your questions.

--Joe

Yes, it does.  Thanks.  Grog for helping.   :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

When we came into Hopetown Bahamas, we sailed around the mooring feild (got favorable comments from locals)..

Found a small mooring, that belonged to a local... he had a friend on another boat nearby who said we could use it.

It was a star mooring of 5 danforth's... it had held a large boat for 6 months.

Peter was the OIC when one of the lines parted.

Damage was to the jackstaff.... and my Master-at-Arm's pride.

Here was the Chris Craft we laid up to... she suffered no harm.... broke our jackstaff without so much as a scratch.

I pulled up the mooring, there were 5 lines going to anchors... only one of them was no longer GOING to an ANCHOR.... the 1/4" chain had "gone the way of all things" and let us slide.

No harm, no foul.  I would not have wanted to lay to it for a long time though.

My point in this, is that the 'star' mooring is only as strong as it's weakest link,.... a multitude of smaller anchors and smaller chain is less corrosion resistant then one big ole hook with big chain.  (but probably holds better when new).

My 2 cents worth anyway.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on May 19, 2011, 08:59:59 PM

My point in this, is that the 'star' mooring is only as strong as it's weakest link,....

True of any ground tackle system.  This may not be rocket science, but it *IS* worth some 'engineering' style thought...   ;)

a multitude of smaller anchors and smaller chain is less corrosion resistant then one big ole hook with big chain.  (but probably holds better when new).

This is a very good point, too.  A single heavy set up has single points of failure along the system...single anchor, single swivel, single, etc.  Sorta.  But, it's heavier gear so more 'durable' long term.

In theory, the 'star' has more redundancy built-in ... but even where this is so, it's smaller equipment, so easier to fail...in rock climbing, we called this notion "the zipper effect."  Lot's of failure points don't help much if they can all fail together.   ;)

There's nothing to say you cannot use a big honking chain with the smaller anchors.  That's getting away from the "regular anchoring equipment I'd have anyway" aspect, though.

Suffice it to say that ANY mooring system should undergo regular inspections of all components.

I do like that the 'star' (and its variants) are easier to pull to inspect (not that you have to pull a mooring to inspect it, of course).  What I *REALLY* like about them is the portability...I can take my mooring gear with me when I move (and DID take it with me when I changed home ports).

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Jim_ME

John, I'm glad that you split off the anchoring - mooring from the other Sd26 thread, since there is so much to discuss about these issues, and as you said, the different cultures and practices of the various local areas.

I've been out and expect to be tomorrow, too, but look forward to rejoining the discussion when I return.

Joe, I am feeling even more spoiled about moorings than before in the wild, wild, Down East Maine.  ;D

Craig, I'll have to train my seadog to stay on the boat as Peter did. As he is now, that is one image [view of him] I would never see...  :)

Bubba the Pirate

Back in the salad days of Free Florida Anchoring, I had an Irwin 25 swinging on a Bahamian knot out of a sailing book off downtown Sarasota.  The boat sat for 18 months with only two anchors.  She did just fine, including during a 'no-name' storm that ran up the Gulf Coast several miles off shore. 

Sidenote: I wasn't living aboard all that time, a couple months in there I had moved back in with my ex-wife.  {glutton}

::)

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

phil416

Captain Smollet;
       Although I never leave my boat moored when I am going to be away, I cetainly subscribe to the multiple small anchor concept.   My method is to set two anchors in tandem on one chain rode.  Hurricane Isabel was ridden out by this system using two such rodes.  On several occasions I have ridden out t-storms by just dropping one of my spare anchors overboard with the rode stored on deck.  I carry 1 22lb bruce, 1 Kingston 22lb. plow, a Fortress fx17 and a 15 lb. Danforth.  These anchores store easily aboard my Triton beneath the cabin sole.  A fortress fx 7 is carried as a lunch hook.  Probably the most important point in anchoring is to find a place with minimum fetch and good holding.   Phil
Rest in Peace, Phil;

link to Phil's Adventure thread.