Bridge Pointe Marina, New Bern, NC

Started by Captain Smollett, September 12, 2011, 01:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

After living aboard at Bridge Pointe Marina in New Bern, NC for nearly three years, I come here to offer my thoughts on this facility.

Each marina exhibits a "personality" that is in part a statement of the management and that of the boaters who live/slip boats there.  What I am describing at Bridge Pointe is that nebulous personality;  the atmosphere there was such that we finally had to untie the lines and seek other arrangements for "parking our boat."

I came into this environment naively thinking that each person, couple or family living aboard was "into" boating.  Boy, was I wrong...at least at this marina.  This marina has been the very archetype of "Jerry Springer Marina" or "Floating Trailer Park."  Professional, working people living aboard and boaters seeking a base from which to "cruise" rarely have stayed very long.  What has been left behind has been to at least some degree those seeking ONLY the cheapest slip they could find and a group to 'party' with.

The problem is not the party; the problem is the CONTINUOUS party.  Groups drinking every night, in common areas not on their own boats, generally degrade quickly into being rude, crude and sometimes violent to the other paying customers (professionals, couples and families).  This does not really create a 'friendly' environment.

Yes, the management over the past few months have tried to remove some of these elements.  It took multiple cases of death threats (made in a drunken haze to another boater) to get one fellow kicked out; other similar actors remain to this day.  But part of the problem is that there is just no one else to fill their slips. 

"Serious" boaters look beyond the $0.50 per foot per month they can save there and seek slips elsewhere.

For most of 2011, the marina has stood at only about 67% occupancy.  I think there is a serious question an approaching boater must ask:  Why is the CHEAPEST marina in town ALSO the emptiest?"  That's a good question...and the answer is, in my mind at least, 'quality of life.'

Over three years, we have watched boat after boat come in, stay a few months to a year, and then leave to one of the other marinas.  I recall one couple, the lady was a retired middle school biology teacher (she was VERY fun to talk to) who left shortly after some of the 'the group' thought it would be fun to leave Hustler magazine laying around the "Lounge."  Other women boaters have been grabbed or verbally "accosted" simply while entering the Lounge to use the restroom.

We figured a few months ago that if we took an average slip rent that the marina was losing approximately $11,000 per month in the empty slips.  When asked at a "tenants" meeting of sorts what was being done to fill the slips, the property manager simply said, "we have the lowest rates."  He showed no appreciation for the 'atmosphere' of the marina.  Still...the slips sit empty and still, the party continues.  At some point, the marina must get desperate to recover some of that lost income (made semi-permanent by the loss of the dock with the largest slips to Irene) with whoever will pay the rent.  In a sense, it's a self perpetuating cycle.

Several months ago, a handful of the more serious boaters tried to form a "Yacht Club" at the marina.  It quickly was turned into nothing but a party planning committee, and that pretty much began a mass exodus.  The management just does not have a handle on what "real" boaters want in a marina, and have shown through their actions that they prefer to cater to the 'party crowd' than to attract real cruisers and transients who invest in the 20 mile trip upriver off the ICW.

That's my two cents and why, unless something drastic changes in the next year, we won't be spending another dime at Bridge Pointe Marina.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

hearsejr

with the loss at McCotters, I'll bet the empties will be finding a few residents. as for the party crowd, well I've been snubbed by the so called "proper folks" so much that I hate the blue blazer so much I'd assume to wreck my boat before I'd give them the time of day. I'm not much of a partier but I do get along with them better then snobs. maybe they could keep drinking off their boat to to a min., but unless you get everyone together and work it out, that will not happen. as for the hustler, some people are just as offended by the bible and tampons in the bathroom. maybe a book case with lid would be a better place for all this stuff. some things are easier to solve then others but stuff like excive drinking and fighting can be taken care with a phone call. we had the same trouble once at a truck stop...you can bet after two weekends things changed a lot.
also there was a neat hidden spot in Aurora (spl?) that was cheap and very quit. I'm not sure if it's still there.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: hearsejr on September 13, 2011, 06:14:14 PM

with the loss at McCotters, I'll bet the empties will be finding a few residents. as for the party crowd, well I've been snubbed by the so called "proper folks" so much that I hate the blue blazer so much I'd assume to wreck my boat before I'd give them the time of day. I'm not much of a partier but I do get along with them better then snobs. maybe they could keep drinking off their boat to to a min., but unless you get everyone together and work it out, that will not happen. as for the hustler, some people are just as offended by the bible and tampons in the bathroom. maybe a book case with lid would be a better place for all this stuff. some things are easier to solve then others but stuff like excive drinking and fighting can be taken care with a phone call. we had the same trouble once at a truck stop...you can bet after two weekends things changed a lot.
also there was a neat hidden spot in Aurora (spl?) that was cheap and very quit. I'm not sure if it's still there.

It has not changed in the three years I've been there, and I've been told it's been like that for ten years.

What simple phone call solves it?  No phone call has solved it yet.

I was trying to keep my post relatively short and believe me, I've glossed over it to provide a gross summary.

The issue is a collection of people that don't give one hoot about how their actions impact others and management that does not care.

I'm also not talking about "blue blazers;" I'm talking about common decency.  I can get along with people in all walks of life, and do so, provided they are willing to meet me half way and act like humans rather than animals and treat me with at least a portion of the respect that I both deserve and would extend them.

The people that are 'fed up' with the situation range from "working class" folks to professionals to retirees.  It spans social groups and economic "class."

Finally, the 'crowd' I am talking about are NOT boaters.  Their boats do not leave the slips in general, and in fact are incapable of leaving the slips in most cases.  The ONLY reason they live aboard a boat is that first, they got a boat for a steal (or it was given to them or loaned to them) and second, they pay under $300 per month in rent in a town where the cheaper apartments are $700.

Now, if anyone chooses to spend money there, that's really none of my business.  I won't.  That's really all I am trying to say.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

hearsejr

we had a lot poop going on at the old truckstop..fighting every Fri. night, and one day dad called the cops and said if they wouldn't take care of it the folks in the community would. so the sheriff shows up on Friday gives some warnings and come sat. he took some of the guys to jail.. the following week they got the drunk waking around with open containers and DUI drivers leaving the place then picked a few more up the weekend for fighting and dis rupting the public..lol.
unless yall are just way out in no where, it seems like the community would be able to get the place cleaned up or something.
if I had a boat there I'd be out every week..if nothing else just to for the scenery.
whats rent run there for a 6' deep 30'er?
  I get shun by the big high dollar crowd on a daily basis in VA.  they don't like the small boats and those who don't buy a boat that's less then 4 years old. hehehe I just smile and say "my boats paid for."..lol

Captain Smollett

Drove by today and noticed less than 30 boats in a marina with about 140 slips. 20% occupancy with the lowest rates in town. More expensive  marina just across river is full.

No, nothing wrong at all.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on November 21, 2011, 04:56:32 PM
Drove by today and noticed less than 30 boats in a marina with about 140 slips. 20% occupancy with the lowest rates in town. More expensive  marina just across river is full.

No, nothing wrong at all.

FWIW,

IMHO the marina across the river is worth every penny.  They really do treat folks well, you have an excercise room, showers, wi-fi, swimming pool and great jazz bands on the deck every sunday(?).

Oh, and you can get the hotel room service to deliver to your slip... that would be heaven if you were ill or for the occasional treat IMHO....    The hotel staff treat the slip holders like regular guests and go out of their way to take care of folks... A-1 class act IMHO.

If I were in the area, that is where I would want a live aboard slip.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on November 21, 2011, 09:37:42 PM

FWIW,

IMHO the marina across the river is worth every penny. 

A friend of mine has taken over the job of Head Dock Hand or some such...a 'wig' around the docks at any rate.  Tim's a great guy.

A recent comment he made:  "You just would not believe how many skippers just cannot drive their boat."   ;D ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

I wonder if you have heard any more John?

I understand the new management has adopted a much more cruiser friendly attitude.  When I was last in New Bern, folks were fleeing the New Bern Grand (the Doubletree / Hilton / Sheraton) in droves.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on December 12, 2013, 08:35:33 PM

I wonder if you have heard any more John?

I understand the new management has adopted a much more cruiser friendly attitude.  When I was last in New Bern, folks were fleeing the New Bern Grand (the Doubletree / Hilton / Sheraton) in droves.

Last I heard was a few months ago, so take this with that in mind:

(1) General manager, I was told, is the same guy...the one that 'ran the show' (and not in a good way, in my OPINION).

(2) The person I was told was going to be the Dockmaster when they re-opened is a guy I know.  He lived aboard a power boat while we were there.  He did not impress me as being overly knowledgeable about boats.  I'm not sure if that is a REQUIREMENT for being a dockmaster...so keep that grain of salt handy.

I will say that he hung out a lot with some of the troublemakers while I was there.  I don't know that HE was part of the problem...just saying he pal'd around with them.  I cannot say anything directly against his behavior - nothing I ever personally witnessed.

I have no idea if he did in fact end up being the dock master.

(3) I won't go back there if we move back aboard, unless it is under COMPLETELY management.  The problems went too high up.  It will take a lot to convince me they are "worthy" of my money.

(4) I had not heard there was either issue or migration from New Bern Grand.  Still looks pretty full to me.  A good friend is a dock hand there...I need to see him about some other business and will try to find out if they are feeling anything more than the 'normal' pressure of the marina across the river re-opening.

(5) I confess it is a little oddly depressing to drive by and see another boat in what was our slip for three years.   :(
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Jesse SS

Let me begin by saying when I found this blog I was shocked. I read and reread the reviews trying to find any
untruths. ( non to be found ) with the exception of a mass exodus from across the way. ( just a few )  The difference
between then and now is extraordinary. The trailer park is gone, never to return. I am Jesse, the new marina manager.
I'm USCG(ret), prior marina management experience as well as a half dozen dockmaster positions over the years. As of
this writing I have turned down as many boats who want to come in as I have in slips. I run a tight ship which has already
earned me a few choice names I won't mention here, but not by our current boaters,,,they like it. Just wanted to give an
update.  Change can happen!   

s/v Faith

Welcome aboard Jesse!

I appreciate your joining, and (as I said 2 posts ago) it certainly sounds like things have changed.

In respect of your efforts I will modify the thread title (to remove the word "avoid").  It was obviously started in a differ era under a different watch.

I wish you well in your efforts to run a cruiser friendly marina.

Your first (virtual) grog is on me.   ;D

s/v Faith

A link to the site;

http://www.bridgepointe.com/

Quote*Marina Now Open*
BridgePointe Hotel & Marina has 125 brand new floating boat slips located at the confluence of the Trent and Neuse Rivers.  Our new state-of-the-art marina includes Brazilian Ipe hardwood docks, cable television, free wireless internet, metered electric and fresh water connections for each slip. Our newly redesigned and completely renovated boater?s lounge includes showers, restrooms, charcoal grills, laundry, and a comfortable air conditioned sitting area.  BridgePointe Marina can accommodate vessels up to 150 feet in length in our deep water slips.  We will be offering a special rate for a limited time, so be sure to contact us today at (252)637-7372 or by email at jschmucker@bridgepointe.com.

N 35  06.001  W 077  02.298

Marina Amenities:

Floating Docks with Wave Attenuator
30/50 Amp Power
Pump Out Station
Free Wireless Internet Access
Limited Free Ice
Pool Access
Haul Out/ Repairs Nearby
Airport Nearby
Fuel Nearby
ATM
Dock House Amenities:

Climate Controlled
Captain?s Lounge
Cable TV
Showers
Restroom
Laundry Facilities
Outdoor Grill
Picnic Area

Jesse SS

That's very kind of you Chief.
Thank you                  8)

s/v Faith

Glad to do it.  I wish more marinas took an active interest in the needs of their patrons.

I see you are offering some nice amenities, I suspect others will make the long journey across the way as the word gets out.  Sounds like the free coffee is about the only thing going for the folks across the way.

I wonder if you have considered the "pay 11 get 1 free" policy?  Many marinas used to offer that, seems like a good way to promote occupancy and to attract business.

Also, what kind of hurricane plan have you come up with?  I was across the way during Irene, their official policy was to sortee.... Of course it was announced only shortly before the Cunningham bridge was closed.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Jesse SS on January 09, 2014, 03:37:18 PM
Let me begin by saying when I found this blog I was shocked. I read and reread the reviews trying to find any
untruths. ( non to be found ) with the exception of a mass exodus from across the way. ( just a few )  The difference
between then and now is extraordinary. The trailer park is gone, never to return. I am Jesse, the new marina manager.
I'm USCG(ret), prior marina management experience as well as a half dozen dockmaster positions over the years. As of
this writing I have turned down as many boats who want to come in as I have in slips. I run a tight ship which has already
earned me a few choice names I won't mention here, but not by our current boaters,,,they like it. Just wanted to give an
update. Change can happen!  

Welcome, aboard, Jesse.

As the originator of the thread and having made some negative comments about your facility, let me be the first to say that if you have implemented the changes you outline...my hat is off to you sir, and I 100% appreciate your coming here to update us.

I'd like to come by and meet you and perhaps hang out a little bit.  I'll be more than happy to update MY comments in this thread for a marina that has shaken off the shackles of past poor management.

Thanks again, for the update!

--John
S/V Gaelic Sea, formerly of slip B-13.

PS: Jesse is not the person I was referring to in a previous post regarding the new dockmaster.

PPS:

Your first (virtual) grog is on me.

And your second is on me.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on January 09, 2014, 04:23:02 PM

Also, what kind of hurricane plan have you come up with?  I was across the way during Irene, their official policy was to sortee.... Of course it was announced only shortly before the Cunningham bridge was closed.

Sorry for the double post, but ...

This is actually a very good question. Indecisiveness was an additional "problem" I had with the former management.

The official policy that I was told prior to slipping there was "Cat 3 and Higher may involve moving out" and that "All boats are required to be able to be moved under their own power at all times."

In the week leading up to Irene, I was told first that a decision would be made on Wednesday (storm due to begin late Friday afternoon, officially hit Saturday) about recommendations of moving boats out.

When I did not hear anything on Wednesday, I called, and was told the decision time was moved up to Thursday, and that they'd call me.  I never heard from them, and the impression that I got (even when on the property Thursday and Friday) was one of indecision and not knowing what to do.

I moved my boat out Friday morning, and I would have even if the official policy of the marina had been announced to 'stay.'  But the indecisiveness of the management staff was very troubling and unprofessional.

Jesse, it sounds like you have some more experience with this sort of thing, and no matter what the policy is or what happens with future storms, I get the impression that you won't be running around going "Um, um, I'm going to watch Skip Waters tonight and see what it looks like I should do."

Having said that I moved my boat out, I should point out that I am one of the lucky ones that can (usually) fit under the 45 ft Hwy 70 Bridge on the Trent with a mast clearance of about 42 ft, so I went upriver that way.  I felt a bit bad for a lot of boaters that did not even seem to know what their options were (dangers of staying, moving upriver, Cunningham Bridge not opening due to high wind on Friday, 12 hours before start of storm, etc) and were relying on good information from the marina staff.  We can get into questions on personal responsibility and all that, but it's a point to consider.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Jesse SS

Thanks for the feedback, it is more than welcome. I do invite anyone and everyone to stop by shake hands and
say hello, I think you'll be impressed with the changes. Hurricane policy is simple (not popular) but simple. If we
are in the cone of a hurricane all boats will depart. I advise all boaters to have a plan well in advance and I want to
know what it is. Chaos is the last thing you want at crunchtime.  I managed Matthews point for 6 years and went
through the drill a dozen times. We will have extra help and in my experience everyone helps everyone.  Don't
hesitate to stop by or ask questions. Oh yea and I do have various incentives for new customers. 

Captain Smollett

I finally stopped by Bridge Pointe Marina today, and unfortunately missed Jesse on his day off!

Anyway, some things that have been updated since we were there:

• The main marina parking lot is now gated with a key lock; no more 'random whoevers' hanging out in the parking lot.  This does not apply to the motel, of course, but the motel parking lot was only rarely used for 'loitering' anyway.
  • The parking lot is also now paved
  • I was told the pump-out facility has been replaced with new equipment
  • I was told they are being much more highly selective about who is allowed in; the appearance of the property certainly suggests this (like the gated parking lot, etc)
  • Inside the club house is no longer set up to be an 'open' gathering place.  The showers and bathrooms now afford a little more privacy.
  • Docks look to be a lot safer, but I did not go out and "examine" them in detail

I will certainly put them back on my list to consider when we are ready to move back aboard.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

w00dy

We just arrived back in New Bern after spending most of the year on the hard in a nearby boatyard.
Just wanted to give a short review of Bridge Pointe.

It remains affordable for the likes of us. Although living aboard in the winter means adding a sometimes substantial electric bill, we're still very happy with the overall cost of living on our boat here. The town of New Bern itself is the perfect blend of small town community combined with enough substantial development to be able to get things done. Being ~1 mile away from a first class regional airport is exceptionally convenient for traveling cruisers who occasionally need to fly home or anywhere else further afield. There are also Greyhound and even Amtrak pickups in town. Although the location of the marina is across the river from DT New Bern, the bridge is hardly an obstacle and everything remains walk or bikeable. Overall, it adds up to quite a convenient place to stay for a short or longer term stay.

Back to the marina-

The docks and facilities are still in mostly excellent shape, thanks to care on the part of both the management and tenants. Jesse and the staff keep a close eye on things and run a tight ship. It seems to result in an organized, efficient, and professional operation. The down side of this is that it is probably not the best place to stay if you have a lot of work to do on your boat, or like to let it all hang out on the dock. Still, there are plenty of other facilities with more relaxed attitudes around here in rural NC, if that is what you are looking for.

As someone who as dropped/raised a rig and rebuilt an entire boat in a marina slip, I can appreciate the difference between those kinds of places and know that both types have their advantages and disadvantages. We had almost free reign at our last marina in Texas, which was nice at times, but then there were the days like when a vagrant came in to the bathroom and smeared poop on the walls, or dropped a big steamer on the carpet in front of the TV. All the silverware would sowly but inevitably disappear from the kitchen and the refrigerator would sometimes go months without being cleaned or emptied out  :-\

If we did more winter sailing, I would probably report that the location of Bridge Pointe is very conducive to quick and easy day sails. We have mostly used the winter season to down rig and decommission and to work on engine projects and prepare the boat for summer cruising instead.

The showers are hot, the day room is comfortable (though they could use some more chairs), and the wifi, while not great, is usually functional, despite the heavy load that all the liveaboards streaming netflix must put on it. Jesse even has a loaner bicycle, should you need some wheels to get around town.

The only aspect I found unsatisfactory has been resolved since our stay last year. Apparently, one of the hotel managers was making an issue of people receiving mail. He had directed the front desk staff to RETURN any mail that was addressed to people in the marina! Not sure of the justification there, but talk about a real pain...Jesse tried to suggest the workaround of putting ATTN: Dockmaster at the top of the address, but depending on whether or not this manager was working, you could never really be sure if you would get what you were waiting for. Insane! Anyway, I am happy to report that this person is no longer employed at the hotel and according to Jesse, the mail problem is officially not a problem anymore.

Last thing: Jesse is a true professional. Firm but fair. He also works hard at his job. I've seen him out at 6 am when the temps were in the teens, sprinkling anti-icing compound on the docks. This summer, he drove a half hour out of his way to deliver a package to us, even though we weren't even tennants at the time!

Overall, I'd highly recommend this place. This will be the 2nd winter spent at Bridge Pointe and as evidenced by our return, we have been quite happy with the situation here.