Leaving your boat on anchor

Started by boblamb, February 09, 2007, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

Quote from: skylark on February 28, 2007, 09:40:31 PM
I conveniently forgot about that law.

I think just about everyone has forgotten about that law.  I don't think I saw a single anchor ball all last year.  As far as I can tell it is completely unenforced.  Kind of like the Boston law that requires anyone crossing Boston Common to carry a shotgun.  In case of bears.

BTW, can anyone give a real legitimate reason why small boats should use an achor ball during the day?  Maybe it makes sense for, oh I don't know, barges or something where it might not be obvious whether it is in motion or moored.  It just seems to me that if you don't see the boat you are bearing down on, it is unlikely you're going to notice the ball.

Maybe I'm way off base here.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 28, 2007, 06:53:13 PMNot in an established anchorage, right?

And maybe it's a nitpick, but a boat is not "USCG legal;" it either complies with the law or it doesn't.  In this case, Michigan, it would be Title 33 of the Federal Code.

Whatever... you know what I mean... BTW, the anchor light isn't required in an "established" anchorage either IIRC... Since he was using an anchor light, I would guess that the ball dayshape would also be required to be legit. 

BTW, the one major concern of not having the dayshape up is that if your boat is hit by a passing boat, you may be found at partially at fault if you don't have the dayshape up.  The other captain can claim that he was unaware that your boat was anchored because there was no dayshape aloft... especially in the US, where there are too many lawyers and not enough common sense in the courts.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Cmdr Pete

I thought I was the only one with one of those balls. Found it in the West Marine clearance rack for $3. Basically just a little black beachball.

Only used it a few times.

I don't think it would stay full of air for very long. Probably better off making a disc and spray painting it.

I've never seen another pleasure boat using one.
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

s/v Faith

Ya know.....

I like discussions about regs as much as the next guy.  They can promote good seamanship. 

However, when I saw this discussion on another board I thought it was just plain silly.

... I still think so.

Here is a link to the rules.....

If you just have the little handout that most folks have it says;

QuoteRule 30
(a)  A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:

in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.

From there, many know-it-all's tend to infer that any boat, no matter if it is a dingy or a bass boat has to display the shape.  ::)  They take the 'I know more then you do' position.  Now, there is Nothing Wrong with displaying it, on any boat.     

Anyone who actually looks into the CFR (as John mentioned above) finds it casts a bit more light.

Here is an excerpt;

Quote(e)     A vessel of less than 7 meters* in length, when at anchor not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

Bold added.

*For any inclined to split hairs here 7 meters equals 22.9658793 feet.

So, there it is.  The answer as to what the law requires.....

.... do with it as you will.  Some will comply, others will not.  I will happily share an anchorage with either.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Cmdr Pete on March 01, 2007, 09:21:37 AM

Probably better off making a disc and spray painting it.

I'll probably make one.  But one thing I was wondering about was making it out of aluminum with three-plane corners and letting it double as a radar reflector.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

skylark

thats a good idea, spray paint one of those cheap cardboard/foil radar reflectors black.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

s/v Faith

Quote from: boblamb on February 09, 2007, 08:45:06 AM
  I've been considering putting my boat in the water in the Pamlico area. I am about 2 hours from Pamlico/Nuese Rivers. I want to leave it in the water so I don't have to do the setup/launch/retrieve/takedown every time I want to go sailing.   I am not able financially to afford a slip. 
  Need some advice pro/con to doing this. 

Bob
CP23d

Have you looked at the anchorage off the municipal dock at Washington?

It is well protected, and there are half a dozen other boats that live on the hook there.  It would be a cool place to be also, neat little town.

There is only one place that serves breakfast down town... it is a poolhall, bar and grill.  They make a great breakfast sandwich.   ;D

Bunch of boats over at NewBern also, but I don't get that same 'small town, everyone keeps an eye things' vibe.

On edit;

I remember reading that Washington is considering a mooring feild.  I am sure it would not come any time soon, but even if it did it ight be a good place for a while.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

sailaway21

Anchor balls used to be made out of wicker painted black with a pretty open weave.  Less strain on the halyard and all.  As Adrift said, it's primary purpose would probably be liability.  Not a minor issue when you consider the number of lawyers with boats.<g>

AdriftAtSea

Unfortunately, America does seem to be the land of the lawsuit and of the stupid judge... where common sense and personal responsibility has little to do with what happens in a courtroom.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Changed my vote since my answer changed since this poll was posted.

She was anchored for 18 months, but left for daysails and short trips.  She was left completely unattended for 5 months (illness and family matters ashore required our attention).

Some might have called this a 'mooring,' but it was anchored in a Bahamian Moor.

Needless to say, I have overcome my anxiety about leaving my boat anchored and unattended.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

boblamb

And now "the rest of my story."  Since my post above, I took Captain Smollet's advice bout the Bahamian mooring and anchored my little ship at Town Creek in Beaufort NC.  I kept her there just over a year with frequent visits to sail a few days at a time.  The only problem I had was those blasted barnacles! 
   I, too, have overcome my fear of leaving the boat at anchor.  I'm now considering the New Bern basin for a few months.

Bob
CP23d
"B'lest B'yond B'lief" (yes, I know it's spelled wrong)
boblamb     still..."Blest B'yond B'lief"

Mario G

A little more then a month in Manteo bay (sallowbag bay) started with 3 anchors knowing it was going to see a bad storm. lost one but everything else was fine. 

Then there was the month  it was grounded after the gale storm. First weekend was just to clean it up it took a few more to get it moved off the shoal.

Both times we had people keeping an eye on it and we never go more the 3 weeks before were back on the boat for a few day stay.

maxiSwede

We just came back to our boat after 3 months of travelling on shore, visiting family and friends in Sweden and France.

left on her main anchor in a river (tidal but protected) with a couple of friends tending to her, which mostly consisted of 'cleaning' out lots of bamboo canes from the chain and snubber.

We found her pretty much as when we left (and we could never have known we had to stay away that long  :o)

Very dusty in the dry climate, but apart from that evertything was just fine :)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com