-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 electric outboard

Started by atomvoyager, August 10, 2007, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Quote from: newt on May 30, 2008, 02:51:40 PM

James,
In your search for electric propulsion have you come across a generator/motor combination- one that you would use as a outboard to get into a slip, and a generator while cruising? I ask because I am currently designing one- and plan on marketing it if there is a need.
I already do the same thing with bikes (veloutah.com)

You might find some of these experiences worth studying:

Electric Drive Project

More on Electric Boat Propulsion

Both threads include various links to motor and batt sources, etc.

Moving a cruising boat with electric requires a TON of juice; 48V-60V motors seem to be the 'norm' for these kinds of projects, and that means BIG battery banks even with low amp-hour storage capacity.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Delezynski

Newt,

If you come up with something like that, please let me know! Please put PM me with info.

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

newt

Greg,
It may take a little R&D, but I usually come up with something. I will post it when I do. Thanks for the interest.
The principle problem I see with re-e-motor is the lack of ability to change the electromag poles to increase recharging at slower speeds- something the Bionx motor does.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...