Overnighting on Schooner Creek

Started by Captain Smollett, August 12, 2007, 10:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

The outboard on the A-30 still was not working, so I took it to the shop earlier this week.  The mechanic to whom I spoke nodded in a knowing way when I dropped it off, telling tales of hairline cracks in carb parts that are hard to spot but notorius on that model engine. Oh well, at least I'm not totally incompentent that I could not get her fixed.

So, I yanked the ob off the trailerable and declared "it will work."  The children and I had a trip to NC to make on Friday (poor Becky had to work), so we took off early Friday with a tent and plans to camp out in NC Friday night and meet Becky at the boat Saturday around lunch time.  Hehe, that means SHE got to bring the ob!!

The smaller outboard DID work and thus it was declared "we are going."  The push for this trip was to get out beyond the ambient light to view the Perseid meteor shower.  This annual meteor shower holds a special spot in our hearts, because when our daughter was a newborn, only a few days old, we lay on the back deck and watched them - with her wrapped in blankets.  Though we did see some that night, the street lights in our neighborhood were too much for a really dramatic show.

The forecast was for "partly cloudy, 30% chance of thunder storms."  Other than it being the hottest weekend of the year, we figured we had to risk it - the family had yet to anchor out (though overnighting on the boat several times at the mooring), and well, there was a chance we could see some of the fireworks.  The plan was to ride the flood up the Waccamaw River; high tide was predicted at 1530.  So, at 1400, a little early, we cast off the mooring lines and headed out with mailsail up and our wapping 6 hp mechanical propulsion.

For those not familar with Georgetown, SC, three rivers - Waccamaw, Pee Dee and Sampit - join to form Winyah Bay.  We keep Gaelic Sea on the Sampit River; the ICW follows the Waccamaw, and the Pee Dee is essentially inaccessible to sailboats (from the Georgetown) due to a low bridge. As you exit the Sampit into the "bay," if the tide is ebbing, there is a strong 'side' current from the joint flows of the Pee Dee and Waccamaw Rivers.  In this case, I could see the current line in the water, but wanting to learn a little about how the A-30 is effected by the currents, just steered a straight line.  In dramatic fashion, the boat promptly turned, making it nearly forty-five degrees betore I could react.  Heading up into the Waccamaw's flow, our speed over ground maybe 2-3 kts.

The kicker was that I was planning to make the 10 miles to Schooner Creek in 2 hours or a bit less.  Burning 1 gal of fuel per hour, I should have had plenty of gasoline.  Short version: I miscued.  I had not planned on motoring into the current the whole way, so we began to have some 'concerns' about fuel - particularly about getting back. We realized this 2.5 hours and about 8 miles from Georgetown, with the next marina with facilities another 8 miles upriver.  All along the eastern shore of the river in this stretch lie private docks - calling to us like Sirens: "boats, boats, boats, but is there fuel?"

Just short of the confluence with Schooner Creek lies a private marina.  "No Public Rest Rooms" the sign said, but I figured we can at least ask if there is a closer place to buy fuel.  Yes, in case you are asking, my copy of the Coast Pilot was at home.  Another short version:  I flubbed the docking.  Nothing was hit, and nothing damaged (except the remnants of my ego), I had just misread the current thereby forcing Becky to try to hold the boat in on a spring line.  The dockmaster came running down..."I'll help."

Though he advised there was no fuel to be had, he did offer to take me to the gas station in his car when he got off work.   :) :)

Thus began our first underway encounter with "cruisin' folk."  It turns out he and his wife are full time live-aboard cruisers, retired and living on a 'fixed income.' (We say that with a smile, since our income is not unfixed).  Anyway, to supplement their cruising kitty, he took the job as dockmaster at this "posh" private marina.  When he took the job, they did not own a car - they had to buy one for trips to the grocery store and such.  He took me to the gas station to get some fuel while his wife entertained Becky and the children in their air conditioned ALBERG DESIGNED sailboat.   ;D

So, with fuel aboard, and many thanks (they would not accept any payment - I even TRIED to fill up his car with fuel), we cast back off to head up the creek.  We dropped the anchor and settled in for the night - which turned out to be a night of thunderstorms and no meteors - and very, very hot.

Sunday morning I awoke around 0600, and we were aground on the very edge of the creek.  Only about an hour behind low tide, I figured we'd float by 0630, and sure enough, at 0625, she swung to the breeze.  It was a beautiful morning: light breeze, cooler, cloud cover starting to break.  Schooner Creek runs through abandoned rice fields of what used to be one of the largest rice producing areas.

This shot shows the view astern, looking upriver from where we were anchored.

We wanted to wait until the ebb began so as to not buck that current all the way down like we did coming up.  While waiting, and trying to find ways to entertain the children, a small frog climbed up one of our portlights, and the children were dutifully entertained.  We still had a little flood going (but markedly reduced in strength) when we broke the anchor free at 1045.  A bunch of tiny, baby shrimp came up with the anchor, another natural wonder as both children held their hands out for "theirs."  That's not a bad weekend, natural history wise, since we were blessed with the frog, the shrimp, numerous dragonflied (included one that landed on Hunter's arm) and birds of many shapes and sizes.

As we motored by the marina, our 'host' from yesterday was standing on the dock, holding a bag and waving.  We motored over to see what was up, and he had a gift bag of toys for the children.   :)  Becky and I regretted not having a bottle of wine, or some similar gift to share, aboard.  We've added that to our list of things to carry.

Becky was enjoying steering the boat as she was getting used to her.  She wanted to feel things out while motoring, so we did not raise the sails, but she steered much of the way back to Georgetown.  Approaching our mooring, with Becky on the bow, she was a bit nervous about picking up a mooring for the first time.  But she did great, and we got it first try and without shouting, yelling or other antics.  It almost looked like we knew what we were doing!  (After yesterday's docking fiasco, there will be no danger of that). 

Sorry for such a long write-up for such a short trip.  This one goes down as a landmark, though.  It's the first time we, as a family, have been out on the Alberg 30 together, underway.  Becky remarked that she liked the way the boat handled and yes, she COULD tell a difference compared to our 18 footer!  Motoring/motor sailing with our little 6 hp ob was not ideal, but we did roll the dice and got out there.  Finally.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Sounds like a good trip over all, and sounds like you learned a good deal from it... :D  I'm betting that you'll be carrying the Coast Pilot and a couple extra bottles of wine on your next outing. ;) 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

John,

SO glad you got underway, and had a good adventure.  Your attendance at my ho - ya was a highlight.

I will try to post some pictures.... man you all set the bar so high here.  :)

Rose and I watched the shower on the hook around surf city.... definately a 'sailfar' sized boat anchorage.... anything with a draft over 4' or a swing circle over 40 need not apply...  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

BobW

Excellent story, John.  Every trip is a learning experience.

Keeping an extra bottle or two of wine aboard for gifts is a good idea I hadn't thought of.

We've got to get out on the water.  It has been much too long since we've been sailing.  Stories like yours are a reminder that just getting out for the weekend can be an adventure.  Thanks.
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

Godot

Thanks for the story.  I enjoyed reading it.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Captain Smollett

How cool is this?

I was watching the Brookgreen Gardens Carolina Stories episode on PBS tonight, when lo and behold, what did I see?

During the 'rise of the rice culture' segment, they showed some video footage from a boat moving slowly up Schooner Creek, turning the bend and going right past the VERY SPOT where we anchored on this trip!!

It's wild to be watching TV and recognize a backwater creek, trees and even clumps of grass.  My "upriver" camera shot above could almost have been a still capture from that video!

:) :) :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain