News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

A Bucket and Chuck It

Started by skylark, March 30, 2008, 10:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

If you use a bucket as a head, how is it set up?

Do you use a plastic 5 gallon bucket, or what kind of bucket do you use?

Do you have a seat on it or is it under a seat of some kind?

Is it mounted in something or do you just set it somewhere and use it?

Where do you use it in the boat?

Do you have it secured at the base, if so, how?

Do you have a cover for it?

When you use it, do you put water in it first?

Do you empty it immediately or at another time, for example in the evening?

Is it legal to use a bucket where you sail?

Is it ethical to use a bucket rather than a pump out?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Discuss!
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

If you use a bucket as a head, how is it set up?

We use both a bucket and a porta potti.

Do you use a plastic 5 gallon bucket, or what kind of bucket do you use?

White plastic, about 2 gallon.

Do you have a seat on it or is it under a seat of some kind?

No

Is it mounted in something or do you just set it somewhere and use it?

Set it somewhere and use it.

Where do you use it in the boat?

Either at night in the main cabin or out in the cockpit, depending on location

Do you have it secured at the base, if so, how?

No

Do you have a cover for it?

No

When you use it, do you put water in it first?

Yes

Do you empty it immediately or at another time, for example in the evening?

Depends. During the night we use it as a "pee" bucket so it gets emptied in the morning. If used for anything else, it gets dumped immediately.

Is it legal to use a bucket where you sail?

Depends- offshore yes, Inshore probably not for stools, I couldn't say about urine.

Is it ethical to use a bucket rather than a pump out

Depends on where you are. Offshore, certainly. In certain places, most definitely not. We do not use the bucket if in an anchorage with other boats around in close proximity, in very clear pristine waters, or in  enclosed anchorages. If we are anchored out somewhere were there is a significant tidal flow, leading to the offshore waters, I don't much worry about it.

Matter of using your "head" so to speak.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lost Lake

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 30, 2008, 11:41:38 AM

Matter of using your "head" so to speak.

LOL!!!  Great play on words!!

Gus

When I go singlehandling in the ocean, and if I have to pee, I use the bailing bucket in the cockpit and toss it overboard if on the way. If I'm at anchor I use the potty.
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

oded kishony

www.airheadtoilet.com

From a quick search on line it seems this composting system works pretty well.

Oded Kishony

CharlieJ

Might work if you could fit it in- that 19 1/2 inch height would be a real squeeze on our boat.

They claim it'll work for a week long cruise- hey- our porta potti will go 7 days if we are careful.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

I'm skeptical, for it to be a "composting" toilet to work, it has to be in there for awhile. Since oder is the biggest problem with onboard heads, I don't see it as any better than a porti potti that is used correctly (as in "no urine'.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Agree on the no urine. Ours never sees it unless we have company aboard.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

I don't mean to be anal about this, ;D (groan) but the composting toilets separate the urine from the solid waste. The one I researched - I think the airhead - had IIRC a (basically) coffee filter that you went in. The urine drained through, and was routed to it's own tank. You then revolved a drum, and the solid waste was dropped into another tank to compost. There were enzymes you added to speed the composting process. It required a small fan to be hooked to it that runs constantly to keep air moving over the solids.

I've heard good things about them, but the size and power draw aspects, and the availability of getting enzymes in far-flung places were "cons" for me.

Neat idea, though.

If possible, keeping urine out does go a long way towards holding odors down.

A fellow here in the marina put sawdust and kitty litter mixed into a bucket, kept urine separate, and he told me it worked well, never smelled. I guess you could do about the same with sand, if you needed some short-term holding capacity. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Yes the enzymes would speed it up, and for an extended voyage it might prove worthwhile. But for shorter trips it does not seem much better than a Porti Potti. You still have the issue of disposal, and many places do not want you dumping in the toilet.

This fall up in B. C. we will be using the PETT system bags, as they are supposed to be readily disposable. Definitely a more expensive way to go, but you don't have any oder problem, and in a small boat that is a very good thing.
Also it is the least mechanical of the ways to go, and we all know how much fun it is to work on the head at sea ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

Quote from: Tim on March 30, 2008, 11:55:17 PM<snip> and we all know how much fun it is to work on the head at sea ;D

Exactly. That's another bonus of using PortaPotties and/or buckets - they are really, REALLY hard to clog up. ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Mr. Fixit

I hooked my airhead up to a solar fan, i will only use airhead supplied fan as needed. I do not have info available however I do not think the supplied fan draws much, however anything 24/7s adds up.

CapnK

Ahh! An actual AirHead owner! :)

The solids - regarding disposal of same - can they just be bagged and thrown into a trash receptacle? Or is there another, recommended method?
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Mr. Fixit

I do not know why not, musty smelling rather dry. You could pasturize and use to grow bean sprouts--just kidding!!!!!

It is the combination of urine and solid waste that make holding tanks nasty

Gus

Well, an easy fix to the solids in the potty... don't eat too much!!!! :)
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

AdriftAtSea

According to MARPOL, if you're in an NDZ, this is illegal, but peeing directly into the water isn't.  Go figure....

Quote from: Gus on March 30, 2008, 06:23:28 PM
When I go singlehandling in the ocean, and if I have to pee, I use the bailing bucket in the cockpit and toss it overboard if on the way. If I'm at anchor I use the potty.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Toucantook

Small boats with no head are accommodated by the rules (if I recall correctly ::)), and a bucket is allowed for them still.  I know two people with Airheads that have nothing but praise for them, so much so that I bought one for Toucan, though I haven't used it yet.
Not all composting toilets separate the urine, which interferes with the composting process.  This is accomplished by the bowl design.  This is what makes the Airhead work so well and where the high capacity comes from.

Toucantook

Also- the reason MARPOL allows peeing in the water is that while fecal matter is rife with nasty bacteria, like e-coli, urine is sterile. 
If it's not, you'll be the first to know  :o

AdriftAtSea

Actually, the way it is worded, at least in the USA,...if you took a dump directly overboard, that'd be legal too....if really disgusting.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Chris

I know this thread is a bit stale but I didn't think this would be worth starting a new thread.http://www.biobagusa.com/   These pricey things have served me well combined with stove ash from my wood-burner or kitty litter. When I am inside no poop zones or in nasty weather I use the Biobag and store them for disposal ashore or over the side with a stone added to sink it. The bags also get rid of poop over the side when it is blowing and dumping a bucket can be a challenge. Been boarded by Coasties in protected waters using these and no problem. The pine kitty litter is best as it contains odor better. Easier on those who might be squeamish about a bucket. No trooping out to the cockpit with a mess in front of others. Of course I try to be very Conservative in using these. Happy with them so far.