ELECTRA restoration (scooter)

Started by Frank, July 19, 2008, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

After bringing her home in november 05...I'm finally getting at this job. A hole in the keel complete with terrible attempt at repair by PO and needing a deck re-core in 4 ereas...guess that's why I've been putting her off. Once she was stripped and a good cleaning...it sure is a lot nicer to work on. In the end she'll have:  new sails,new standing and running rigging,new dodger and covers,new water tank,new home made cushions,galley mods etc etc. Pretty lil boat.Alberg knew his stuff ;D        http://sailfar.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=123
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

OK Frank she does look a little worse for the wear than my Ariel, but she is a cutie and I know you will have fun.

Did you know that there is an Electra currently keeping right up with the bigger boys in the SSS TransPac  ;D

Here is the link;

http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpac2008/race_tracker/position.html
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Thanks for the link.Good to see someone else out there thinks 22ft is enough ;)

Frank

Thinking of looking for a book... "deck re-core for dummies"  :o  The more I tap...the more deck gets removed.Glad it's a small boat ;D   http://sailfar.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=123&page=2

Frank

Not sure if there is interest..this isn't a restoration site  ??? but I posted a few new pics http://sailfar.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=123&page=1 Had to remove a terrible keel repair with bondo included before starting glass work.Hard to get the 1st layer on so out came the tape...it worked.The deck was worst than thought.All the new coring is cut and will start glass work this afternoon on it.Had to reduce the opening size of side ports to install new Beckson openers...worth the trouble for ventilation.Had to cut up the floor to remove the old galv.water tank to replace with a plastic one.Fun stuff really.  :)

Godot

If no one else, I'm interested in your restoration process.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Tim

I am definitely interested Frank, can't view the photos easily at the moment because I'm on dial-up but will be home in another week and looking forward to it.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Pappy Jack

Hi Frank,

Wish I were there to help...and to learn ;). It seams that every time I try to do a little glass work I make a muck of it ::). Please keep us(me) informed.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

Frank

Just a note...I now have HUGE respect for all that have re-cored a deck before me! Fixing holes in keels is easy....getting new coring to fit and the ole deck skins back on isn't near as much fun.Still beats 'normal' work tho  ;D   Took a few minutes to 'sit and daydream' today after getting 2 cabin top pieces back on. A fella needs that 'dream time' to come up with ideas and bond with the boat.

s/v Faith

Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the photo shoot!

The only thing worse then replacing coring (IMHO) is re-replacing coring when the job was not done right the first time...  :P

What a great little boat!  I have always liked the Electra, but did a bit more surfing looking at pictures and like them even more.  Knowing your history, I am sure you will have it very nicely set up and ready to go in no time. 

Lucky is the boat that attracts your attention Frank..... you know, with dogs there are 'breed specific rescue groups'... maybe you can host one for little lost Alberg designs that need some love?  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Shipscarver

Frank - You are the man.
What a project! Great Pic's!
Are those rather large repair sections, holes in the hull?
You are a worker! Was this perchance - a free boat? ::)
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Frank

Shipscarver...yep..the boat was going to be crushed...just the cost of loading it on the trailer (he did gouge me)...and yep...that was a BIG hole in the keel.A previous attempt at repair had it with a huge bulge full of bondo...it was a mess. Honestly, the keel repair is easy compared to the decking. Craig...yep, a sucker for ole Albergs.These are very pretty lil boats and should sail real well.As to a 'breed specific group'.......I know of an Ariel about 90 miles away that is gutted and has a frustrated owner. I send an e-mail now-then to keep contact.  ::)

Frank

Some progress this week....another few layers on the keel, new chainplates cut/drilled for ext. mount, new water tank fitted and deck cutouts epoxied on. Now the real grinding starts  :o  in prep for taping the seams and fairing after. Posted a few more pics.(can't seem to get them in the right order?) One shows the life ring from the prev. owner. Any idea where this boat came from? http://sailfar.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=123&page=2

Frank

Got the 'grinding' part done to tape the seems where the deck was cut out.Moved it outside to work on for less dust in the shop.

Frank

Frank

Started basic hull sanding too after de-waxing

Frank

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Tim

Very Nice Frank, you are so dang.....productive  :)

W.A. Ward

Frank

1st tape on seems   PS-thanks ..  I am no 'boat restorer' but I do love working on them. I'm in that same zone I'm sure others get into about 1/2 way thru.....where ya question your sanity for starting  ;D