ELECTRA restoration (scooter)

Started by Frank, July 19, 2008, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

keel is finally ready for paint as well.6 layers of stitchmat and 2 cloth
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

Looking great Frank.  That is one salty lil Electra you are building there.

Nice work.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Today is wiring.Got the VHF mounted,compass and depth in place,new LED lights etc.The canvass for the dodger showed.Have'nt tried it on yet...hope my pattern worked.Paint is next.....after I figure out that pizza oven ;D

Frank

This will mean nothing if you've never had a boat ripped apart...but to those who have...today was a biggy! I painted the bilge,inside the lockers,anchor well and around the head erea.More paint tomorrow. Now I know that is no big deal...but after seeing things ripped apart for a couple of months it feels SO good to see something take shape and look 'finished'.The project turns a huge corner when paint starts going on.

LauraG

I know that feeling well, Frank. It IS a big turning point. It is the moment that she begins to become a boat again instead of a bunch of miscellaneous parts stuck together. She becomes whole again and you can begin to dream about sailing her again. The light at the end of the tunnel isn't a freight train. It's the sunrise shining on a sailboat in a peaceful anchorage.

Congratulations.

Frank

Tim

Frank, She's looking incredible you have given me a real goal and great inspiration for the Ariel......Now if I could just clear my calendar and get to work full time on it!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

David_Old_Jersey

Frank, looking good  8)

What you doing after Xmas? LOL  ;D

Frank

Thanks...With luck...on this boat in the Bahamas  ;)  Been thinking about a name.I was going to call her Jubilee as many people know me by that boat name there....but my ole Ariel was named 'Revival' and that seems more fitting for a boat saved from a dumpster.

skylark

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1812.0;attach=1000;image

I like what you did with the forehatch.  I have a similar situation, the forehatch is big and not watertight.  That looks like a good solution.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Frank

Skylark..the original was wood framed holding plexiglass.The new one was a 'discontinued sale' at defender for $150. Didn't seem worth the time/$$ to make a new old one that would be more likely to leak.

Tim

Hey Frank, Nice article in the latest SCA! Congrats!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Thanks Tim .. Josh @ SCA did a great job...I sent it to him printed with finger spaces ;D

Frank

Set the galley back in after a few mods for more storage.Removed the port side of counter and built a lower shelf to add storage,cut a 8inch hole to access below..will have a deck plate,and put a fiddle to use space below drawer.Plus the lil storage bin above.

Frank

We will not be using the Vberth other than as a head and for storage.Made these simple angled shelves pt/stbd for bedding and other light stuff.Put the 1st coats of cetol on the new mahagany....WOW .Tried the new cetol clear...I'm very impressed at the look.Always liked the durability but the orange thing was kinda gross.The clear is impressive.Will post pics after final coat..

Frank

Got the bilge pumps installed.One out/one in

Frank

little more progress.beskson opening ports installed,compass and bidata in, forwood hatch installed, aft access hatchs installed.

Frank

Another galley pic...before/after

Frank

More done.....Cetol light doesn't look too bad

Frank

Stained the table to match the old interior wood trim. Fore hatch turned out good.