SPOT Satellite Messenger Review & Discussion

Started by s/v Faith, July 25, 2008, 02:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

The SPOT messenger is a unique piece of gear that has generated quite a bit of interest here so I thought a thread to discuss it might be in order.

First, here is a link to the mfg's web site.

A first hand review; (font enlarged for readability)

Quote from: okawbow on July 24, 2008, 07:30:51 PM
I have the spot, and used it this spring on a 1000 mile trip down river, and across the Gulf. I don't have the tracking feature, and don't really see why it's needed. I sent an "OK" message every day after anchoring for the night. It takes about 2-10 minutes for the message to send. I always just turned the unit on, and set it on the engine cover, just inside the cabin. It never failed to complete the transmission. I also sent the "OK" message every 4 hours when offshore. Family and friends were very enthusiastic about getting these messages, which included a link to a map. At one point, I had about 30 people following my daily progress.

I like the "HELP" button feature, as it only sends the message to the people on your list.(up to 5 email addresses). You can pre-program the message to read something like: " I"m not in danger, but need help at these co-ordinates . Please notify ships or planes in the area to contact me on Ch 16 VHF, or ???SSB for details of my problem." This is a great feature as it allows the possibility of help for an engine, or rigging problem, without getting rescue people involved. It might allow you to save your boat in the process.

"911" feature also allows you to pre set a message. I gave the timeline, and details of my trip, my boat description, name, registration number, and cellphone number. This message is sent to the people on your list, and also to a live operator, who contacts your people by phone, as well as contacts the "authorities". The unit continues to send the "911" signal with your position, for 48 hours or more. You can then put new batteries in if needed, for more time.

Anyone else bought / used one yet?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Joe Pyrat

I've got one and it is a great little unit.  Although I've been chastised for this opinion in the past, it's kind of like a poor mans EPIRB.  Although the coverage area is not as extensive as an EPIRB, it does cover most of the places I'm likely to sail.  You have three options, well four really if you count the track feature.  You can send an I'm OK message to selected individuals.  My spouse likes this because she knows I pushed the button so regardless of cellphone communications status I can communicate to her that I'm still here.  This was our only means of communication when I was in Still Pond Creek as the cellphone was so intermittent that it was useless.  The second option is HELP which sends to selected individuals that you need help, which gives you an option short of calling the authorities.  The 911 button notifies the SPOT control center and they call the appropriate first responders based on the location of your transmission.  The tracking function transmits your position every ten minutes and can be viewed as a track by those with access to your SPOT public page which can be password protected.  It sometimes shows a track across land if you are making into someplace like St. Michaels and going fast enough so that the transmissions are spread out more.  Not a problem for me.  :)

Here's an example of a track plot.  You can display it (using Google Earth) as satellite view, map view or terrain view, and you can zoom in for more detail if desired.  Ghis is Annapolis to St. Mike's

Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Bill NH

There's an interview with the SPOT developer and a review of its pros and cons on the Messing About in Ships Podcast, Episode #26.  It can be downloaded at http://messingaboutinships.com/ (scroll down to Episode #26) or from iTunes...
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

TJim

http://share. findmespot. com/shared/ gogl.jsp? glId=07PlyovXkZk Gbszf8THTVVjN00q JIqPzo  For those of you who are interested, this url will get you to my spot tracking page..  I will be leaving for Mexico on the 30th of October.  I don't know when I'll be back but unless it'san emergency I don't intend to see snow for a long long time.  Heck I don't even know (or care) where I'm going. . Feel free to forward to anyone that you think may have an interest.  I'll be shutting it down when in port but it should display my current position for the next year at least.  Jim

Tim

Hey Jim, You must have some kind of plan, you mentioned this here and there. Let us know a little more and be sure to write when you can.

And I could not get that link to go anywhere.

Tim
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

TJim

Tim, I noticed that when I copied it to this site, it put in spaces that are not supposed to be there, otherwise it should work.  My plan is to get the heck out of the snow and spend some time in Mexico.
And/If, I feel like it go further south and further west.  But I ain't nailing anything down other than I'm
going cruising and I'll go when and where I feel like going.  Heck, I might even go all the way around
but I don't know for sure so I'll just stick to advertising what I know for sure.  I'm checked out of the
Berkeley Marina effective the 30th of October and I'm going cove hoping south when I'm tired of the
current anchorage..... Jim

Tim

Great! Here's a Grog for the next couple of weeks of getting ready. What are you going to have for communications?

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

TJim

Primary is HF Ham. (retired Master Chief Radioman - retired 3 Jan 1972) My biggest problem is I listened to too many di-di-dah-dits and I don't hear audio real well. There ain't a lot of cw guys left. TJ

Tim

Quote from: TJim on October 11, 2008, 10:38:36 PM
Primary is HF Ham. (retired Master Chief Radioman - retired 3 Jan 1972) My biggest problem is I listened to too many di-di-dah-dits and I don't hear audio real well. There ain't a lot of cw guys left. TJ

That's what I thought, I was wondering if there was a short wave band we could listen for you on.

W.A. Ward

TJim

Tim, other than listening, mostly weather, I don't use it much and when I do it's usually to find a ham
that will put something on the enet for me and is CW. It's not something that is scheduled other than listening.  There is a HAM Mobile Marine net which keeps track of cruisers.  I think they operate on 14300 mhz and have a morning check-in for their plots.  Haven't really used it but I thought I'd start listening to it when I leave and possibly use it if I get south or west of Mexico. TJ

jotruk

To another retired Navy Chief may you have fair winds and following seas as you go about delivering your self from the cold. Good luck and I wish I could be in your shoes. If every thing works out I will be in the not to distant future
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

TJim

Jotruk.....Well, On the average He only gives us about 75 marbles to play with and I'm playing with number 72 now so I gotta get going. I hope you get an earlier start and a good boat to take care of you, TJ

CapnK

Jim -

Email the link to me, and I'll see about getting it up for you. I'll send you a PM with an address.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes! I've a feeling you have more than 3 marbles left. Fair winds! :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

TJIM-

Try using www.tinyurl.com to convert the url link to something a bit more manageable.  :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Shipscarver

Hey TJIM-
You're running 5-6 months ahead of me for departure. But, that's OK - I'm only 67.  :D  And, my plans are headed the other way - North from FL. to Maine, (for a shake down cruise), then either the north Atlantic or back for the winter in Mexico (west coast).
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Pappy Jack

TJim,

If you ever start to miss the feel of snow just let me know and I'll send you some ;D ;D ;D!!! God  I'm envious...sigh.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

P.S. Don't forget the pics.

TJim

I can guarantee you that won't happen...The only warm place I've spent time in that I didn't like was
Puerto Rico and that had nuthin to do with the weather.....TJ

Auspicious

The boat I delivered from Chesapeake to Tortola had a Globalstar satellite phone. One of the delivery crew brought his personal SPOT. Herewith my experience and opinions.

Globalstar. The boat had a permanently installed Globalstar phone and marine "car-kit." A laptop was set up to download Grib files for weather information. The owner told us we could use the phone as much as we liked; his account allowed unlimited use for 20USD / month. Xgate compression software was installed to reduce the necessary connect time.

The phone was a disaster. As designated weather geek, I spent an hour or more each morning waiting for a long enough signal availability to get weather data and send our daily update e-mail to the owner.

The consensus among the crew was that the best thing to do was find someone we all truly despised and give him or her the phone.

We had a dedicated weather fax machine onboard, but no paper for it.

We had a SSB which turned out to be the best source of weather information. Many many thanks to all the hams on the Waterway Radio Net (7268 kHz 0745 ET).

The SPOT worked well. The tracking web page was a source of great reassurance to friends and family. Some positions did not get through (you could see the gaps in the bread-crumb trail) but there were few gaps.

I'm still nervous about using something for life-safety that isn't designed as such, but I feel more favorably about it than previously. SPOT is not, in my opinion, a substitute for an EPRIB or PLB, but it is a very nice reassurance to family ashore. If my delivery business keeps growing I am likely to get one to provide tracking as a value-added service to the owners for whom I work.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Amgine

I haven't heard of SPOT. Anyone have a link or willing to explain?