A Dinghy Sailor Dreaming of My Next "Big" Boat

Started by Pablo, December 22, 2008, 03:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo

I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself.  I am a newer sailor who has been bitten hard by feel of wind in the sails.   I started sailing two years ago when I bought an old Barnett Butterfly.  I took her out and had blast sailing around a local lake.  I then joined a local sailing center and took some lessons on their Pearson Ensigns.  I sailed every chance I had and discovered that this whim to sail was going to be a long lasting desire. Currently I am sailing an O'day Javelin (yet un-named). (Atleast when the lakes are liquid versus their current solid state)

I learned of this website from another sailor and I have to say what a great resource and a great group of sailors.  I have been lurking and absorbing as much information as I can.  I have hopes of getting my "Big" boat in the next couple of years.  Right now the boat I have my eyes on is the Cape Dory 27.   

Hello all!
Paul
Milwuakee, WI

Paul

jotruk

Welcome aboard, looks like you got bitten real good., just like the rest of us. Sailing will be a big part of life and a very enjoyable part hope you get the boat of your dreams in the not to distant future
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Tim

Welcome Paul, definitely the time of year up there to be researching and dreaming! This place is a great resource and a CD27 is a great choice. 

Looks like you are about to take off on "Toads Wild Ride" on the Vendee shortly also...Hang On ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Joe Pyrat

Hello Paul and welcome aboard mate.

The CD27 is a wonderful boat.  I've got friends (Loren & Betsy) who sail one named Whippoorwill that Loren has worked on for years and it is a joy to be aboard. They sail with two aboard now (that's Betsy on the bow) but did sail with two pre-teens for several years so there's lots of room inside.

Here's more on the hard dodger if you're interested:  http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance-articles/37194-hard-dodger.html

Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Lynx

Welcome, Good size of boat.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Lynx
MacGregor 26M

Oldrig

Welcome Paul.

Have you checked in with the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association yet? If not, give them a visit at www.capedory.org. The CD27 is possibly the most beautiful of Carl Alberg's designs for Cape Dory, IMHO. That said, I've got a smaller model, a 25D.

Anyway, enjoy your addiction by keeping in touch with other addicts like us.

Best,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627